General Election 2015

Ludo*1

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Humza Yousaf implied he was standing down for health reasons, does anybody know the full story before calling him a coward?

I would be more inclined to believe it was health issues had he not waited until now to stand down. The latest the Labour Party has to lodge papers for a new candidate is Thursday and they cannot lodge them today or Monday as they are public holidays. I have to assume that Jim McGovern and/or his agent would be aware of these deadlines and they would have figured in taking any decision.

I find it hard to believe that any MP with ongoing health issues would not have contemplated his future until 5 weeks before an election

Ah, I thought you meant Humza Yousaf was standing down. No, McGovern has said he's standing down for health reasons but there are rumblings that the party have been wanting to replace him anyway.

His candidacy was offered to Jenny Marra last year. She declined. Labour PLP basically withdrew the whip at the end of last year after the votes he missed.

He has clung on up until now for no other reason than Labour knew the seat was a goner.If this was a marginal London would have stepped in.

There are 3 working days to find a new candidate. He knows what he is doing.

Also worth noting that potential candidates include:

Michael Marra - failed to be selected in fife. Can see the "not good enough for fife" angle going down well.

George McIrvine - has already endorsed Jim McFarlane the STUC candidate.

One of their useless councillors although you can propably rule out Norma McGovern.

Pretty sure McGovern is also a bigot who has voted against equality bills like clockwork.

Fairly sure he voted against same sex marriage anyway. I should really have brought that up when he was taking part in a hustings at Dundee & Angus college a couple weeks back.

Michael Marra - failed to be selected in fife. Can see the "not good enough for fife" angle going down well.

One of their useless councillors although you can propably rule out Norma McGovern.

There surely must be someone who can step in at the last minute, that can perform miracles and save the day for labour.

Gordon-Brown-at-the-Labou-007.jpg

invergowrie arab, on 03 Apr 2015 - 13:52, said:

Richard McCready is one of the other candidates. A perennial failure. It'd be smashing to see him get the candidacy and lose spectacularly again.

Ah, I thought you meant Humza Yousaf was standing down. No, McGovern has said he's standing down for health reasons but there are rumblings that the party have been wanting to replace him anyway.

They'll only be "replacing" him with cannon fodder anyway. They'll be weighing the SNP vote in Dundee.

Yep.... Got mine with this morning's post.

Anyone else reckon there will be a much higher turnout here in Scotland than south of the border?

Probably. Turnout will certainly be down on the referendum but I reckon it'll still be about 70% here.

Archived