General Election 2015

Ludo*1

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not even asking the person the story is about for a comment. Is that normal in journalism?

No. It's standard journalistic practice to put a story of this kind to the subject of the story and allow them the chance to comment. Disgraceful, but not surprising, that this wasn't done. I read somewhere that they asked Willie Rennie for a comment but not Sturgeon!

Wait, has the Torygraph played a blinder here?

Forcing Sturgeon to deny it, hence forcing the French to deny it, hence forcing SLAB and their maronic support to mass delete their pish from twitter as opnce again, as they always do, the jumped the gun without checking facts. Making LAB looking even more maronic than usual.

Believing what a paper says, after the information has gone through 5 pair of hands without asking those involved :lol:

I doubt the Telegraph would have done that, too damaging to their own reputation. If the story is untrue they've either made a huge mistake, or believed they wouldn't get caught.

I'm still more inclined to believe a story in a respected paper than the words of a politician. Now there is reasonable doubt so it is difficult to know whether it is false or not. Thing is all it is is evidence of something everyone knows is true anyway. Tories and SNP share the same interests and will want the other to suceed at this election.

I doubt the Telegraph would have done that, too damaging to their own reputation. If the story is untrue they've either made a huge mistake, or believed they wouldn't get caught.

I'm still more inclined to believe a story in a respected paper than the words of a politician. Now there is reasonable doubt so it is difficult to know whether it is false or not. Thing is all it is is evidence of something everyone knows is true anyway. Tories and SNP share the same interests and will want the other to suceed at this election.

Fucking hell :lol:

Come on JMO, I like you, but you're into genuine zoomer territory here.

Can't see the journo in question carrying much respect, given he didn't even ask the FM for a comment on the story. Amateurish.

I'd be surprised if the story is completely made up, more likely to be some extension of the truth, but even if Sturgeon would indeed prefer a Tory government, why would she go telling the Frenchies about this?

This is fantastic. Keep fighting the good fight sir.

Fucking hell :lol:Come on JMO, I like you, but you're into genuine zoomer territory here.

I may have been wrong, the French CG denial is evidence of that, but I find it more interesting that people refused to believe it might be true when the only evidence against it being true was the statement of Nicola Sturgeon. Had this story been about Murphy instead of Sturgeon I wonder how many people would have believed Jim's denial.

I may have been wrong, the French CG denial is evidence of that, but I find it more interesting that people refused to believe it might be true when the only evidence against it being true was the statement of Nicola Sturgeon. Had this story been about Murphy instead of Sturgeon I wonder how many people would have believed Jim's denial.

I am literally unable to think of any situation whereby Jim Murphy would prefer a Tory Government.

Give it up and move on, you fucked up.

Or maybe a civil servant leaked a non-story (i.e., a memo which says that something may or may not have happened) to the Telegraph, hoping it would snowball. You support Nu Labour, you of all people should know that these things happen.

"Reasonable doubt" have a fucking word with yourself. There's only reasonable doubt if you believe the memo, as opposed to:

a) The French diplomat

b) The UK politician involved

c) The minutes

d) The several other "respected" sources who refute the story with actual evidence

Give up with the total whataboutery JMO. It IS made up and that's that. Although I see you're still clinging to some desperate hope that there might be something to it. Good luck with that.

I'd be inclined to believe that the Telegraph didn't make up the story from nothing, but they had absolutely zero intention of following up with Sturgeon because 1) they didn't think they'd be called on it so blatantly and 2) they figured the damage would be done whether it was true or not. And so they just went ahead and ran with it.

My thoughts is that Every Tory newspaper will try and hurt the SNP because if the SNP get so many seats in the General Election then it is possible the next parliament that we will have another referendum if the Scottish Elections go well for SNP.

Going to be a lot more negative stories to come along for the SNP party that is for sure.

A bit sad that the once mighty Labour Party is reduced to quoting 5th hand diplomatic gossip from a tarnished Tory newspaper about their leader being thought of as unfit for government.

People would have reacted in a similar manner to you, but once the French Ambassador denies this happened and the civil service minutes don't show the conversation didn't even take place, I would've stopped trying to point score with it.

Ha ha. The french ambassador has rubbished these accusations directly to the torygraph. Meanwhile Murphy and co keep spreading the lies. This is going to majorly backfire on labour. Sturgeon will make a statement later today or tomorrow.

Jmo, this is the utter pish u support. Judged by ure company.

The radio and TV still just reporting it as revelations / denied / no smoke without fire. This is why social media and the Internet in general are crucial to the future of our democracy. The spin has to end - and this will only happen when folk are more informed.

Archived