General Election 2015

Ludo*1

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The largest party will be in the driving seat to negotiate with all the other parties I would have thought.

This is correct.

However in reality the Tories will never be able to do a deal with greens, Plaid and the snp which means them needing about a 30-40 seat lead over Labour rather than the half dozen projected.

So for all Labour's bluster on this issue a Tory led coalition aint happening.

The largest party will be in the driving seat to negotiate with all the other parties I would have thought.

The party that has the most seats will be in no. 10 majority or not IMO

How can you get into No. 10 without a majority to support you?

Projections and results are different things.

Ironic how on this thread there is nothing but absolute hatred for labour, but in the last few posts a vote for the SNP is being cast as exactly the same as one for labour.

Projections and results are different things.

Ironic how on this thread there is nothing but absolute hatred for labour, but in the last few posts a vote for the SNP is being cast as exactly the same as one for labour.

You can't see the difference? Really?

You can't see the difference? Really?

Really. I can't believe the absolute hatred from the membership and the alleged endorsement from the party leaders sit well together; let lone that a SNP seat will be the exact same as a labour seat in the post election carve up mechanisms.

Really. I can't believe the absolute hatred from the membership and the alleged endorsement from the party leaders sit well together; let lone that a SNP seat will be the exact same as a labour seat in the post election carve up mechanisms.

What the fucking hell is this pile of pish?

How can you get into No. 10 without a majority to support you?

The current forecast is

Tories 283

Labour 277

SNP 40

LD 26

DUP 8

Sinn Fein 6

PC 3

SDLP 3

Greens 1

UKIP 1

Independents 1

Speaker 1

This means you need 223 for a majority, so the options would be

1) Labour/SNP/PC/Green - overall majority of 1

2) Labour/SNP/LD - overall majority 43

Basically there is no way either of these would happen. But Tory/LD/DUP/UKIP only gives 318. A Tory minority with confidence and supply from Labour seems likely

The current forecast is

Tories 283

Labour 277

SNP 40

LD 26

DUP 8

Sinn Fein 6

PC 3

SDLP 3

Greens 1

UKIP 1

Independents 1

Speaker 1

This means you need 223 for a majority, so the options would be

1) Labour/SNP/PC/Green - overall majority of 1

2) Labour/SNP/LD - overall majority 43

Basically there is no way either of these would happen. But Tory/LD/DUP/UKIP only gives 318. A Tory minority with confidence and supply from Labour seems likely

So a vote for the SNP helps the tories in again ?

The most dangerous thing for Labour is the seethe and hatred for SNP from the hierarchy both in Scotland and Westminster, and a refusal to cooperate.

So a vote for the SNP helps the tories in again ?

I think you will find that it will be Labour's inability to appeal to English voters that will let the Tories in again.

The voter that votes SNP but used to vote labour will, I am sure, do so with a clear consience.

The SNP did in 2007.

Do they not do modern studies at school anymore?

No they didn't. They had the support or tacit support of a majority of the parliament to form a government.

The first minister is then elected through an exhaustive ballot so no majority is necessary.

At Westminster the Queen will invite someone to form a government but Tue queens speech needs to be voted through by parliament on a simple yes/no basis. Therefore a majority is needed.

The two situations are completely different.

For clarity. On existing projections the Tories will not be able to form a Government or minority or otherwise.

I dont know, tbh. A lot of it depends on devolution and not necessarily just within Scotland. The end goal for me is a federal UK, but I think that Scottish independence is inevitable and it may be better just to embrace it.

Yet you still cannot answer the question on why defence and foreign affairs should not be determined within Scotland.

This federal setup, that you are so in favour of, will consist of how many representatives and on what basis? Equal representation for each country, population based or geographical area?

The Sun's 'exclusive' today is just bizarre. Apparently Ed Miliband had notes prepared for the debate.

With the exception of Bennett (who I'm sure made things up as she was going) I'd expect they all did. Why would they not have notes?

Archived