General Election 2015

Ludo*1

I'm not the most active admittedly. I should have signed up for some non-entity of a party like the Lib Dems in Dundee in order to get a chance as I imagine there'll be a large amount of Dundonian's that are far more active than I am wanting a ticket.

Yeah, I didn't want to actually be one of the counters, should have made that clearer, just wanted to attend and take in the spectacle!

Ask your Dundee branch to allow you to attend as an observer then. My job means that I can only ever observe in a neutral capacity, so I can't help on the night. You, however, can attend & keep the BritNat forces honest. Go for it. Please!

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very little with your plan.

And why do you think bankers, traders and big business contribute millions to get their politicians into power? It's partly so they can draft up these tax laws, which have loopholes that they're clever enough to use. So they can pay less tax.

How does one get involved in the count? I'm a member of the SNP, and I'd absolutely love to savour the moment in the building where Dundee's vote will be announced.

You need to actually be doing something at the count. So get in touch with branch and volunteer to be an observer or something. In my experience anyone who wanted to be there could be there but I suppose the membership is larger now.

Yeah, there will be a scramble this year.

Nothing beats being at a count when you are winning, there's nothing worse when you are getting gubbed.

If you have been in the party for a while, winning is a relatively new thing. I've lost count of the number of defeats I've watched over the years....

Yeah, there will be a scramble this year.

Nothing beats being at a count when you are winning, there's nothing worse when you are getting gubbed.

If you have been in the party for a while, winning is a relatively new thing. I've lost count of the number of defeats I've watched over the years....

Not if your banff and buchan ;)

From today's Herald. :thumsup2

THE scale of Labour's foreboding north of the Border has been laid bare on the eve of the first televised Scottish leaders' debate with one ex-MP and candidate admitting the SNP surge is "like a tsunami" even the world's best swimmer could not hope to survive.

The latest poll has Labour with just 11 seats out of a previous 40, the Liberal Democrats with just one of its previous 11 and Scotland again becoming a Tory-free zone in terms of the House of Commons.

Another former Labour MP admitted: "The polls are right. I hear it on the doorstep; my people hear it. We have thousands of conversations and the polls are bang on." He added: "I'll be looking for another career after May."

A third said: "It is like a tsunami; there's nothing you can do about it. It doesn't matter if you're the best swimmer in the world."

Tomorrow at 8pm, Jim Murphy, the Scottish Labour leader, faces arguably his toughest test yet when he goes head to head with First Minister Nicola Sturgeon - fresh from her success in the UK seven-cornered debate - as well as Ruth Davidson for the Scottish Conservatives and Willie Rennie for the Scottish Liberal Democrats in the first of three TV specials in Scotland.

The two-hour debate will be hosted by STV in Edinburgh's Assembly Rooms and chaired by the station's political editor Bernard Ponsonby.

It will be followed on Wednesday with a live one-hour BBC Scotland debate from Aberdeen again with the four party leaders together with Patrick Harvie for the Scottish Greens and David Coburn for Ukip.

As Ms Sturgeon again called on Ed Miliband to match the SNP's promise to "lock out" David Cameron from Downing Street even if the Conservatives won the most seats at the election, George Osborne raised the political stakes.

Describing the SNP leader's latest intervention as more evidence of an "unholy alliance" between Labour and the Nationalists, the Chancellor claimed a Lab-SNP pact after May 7 would mean Ms Sturgeon running the UK Government not Mr Miliband.

"People know (from seeing) Ed Miliband this week that the Scottish Nationalist leaders are much stronger than he is and we know who would be running our government.

"That would be bad for the entire UK, bad for the integrity of the Union but also bad for our economy because it would mean higher debts and higher taxes. Here in west London in Chiswick and Isleworth this is as much on the ballot paper as it is in Glasgow or Edinburgh," added Mr Osborne.

In response, Angus Robertson, the SNP's campaign chief, said: "Left to their own devices, Labour would simply pursue a further £30 billion of Tory austerity cuts but a strong team of SNP MPs will put backbone into Labour."

He added: "More anti-Tory MPs than Tory MPs at the election means that we can lock David Cameron out of Downing Street. And electing a strong team of SNP MPs will also ensure that Scotland has real power at Westminster to ensure that Scottish interests are served and progressive politics delivered across the UK."

If Labour and the SNP have an informal agreement at Westminster. How would any Tory motion on EVEL go? The SNP surely cannot disagree on the principle and any voting down of this by the SNP will only serve to reverse the goodwill being built by the SNP within Englandshire. At the same time, it would be political suicide for Labour.

Interesting....

If Labour and the SNP have an informal agreement at Westminster. How would any Tory motion on EVEL go? The SNP surely cannot disagree on the principle and any voting down of this by the SNP will only serve to reverse the goodwill being built by the SNP within Englandshire. At the same time, it would be political suicide for Labour.

Interesting....

SNP probably vote it down on the principle that ot could affect Scottish funding.

Interesting....

We will support the Tories on EVEL if they support us on removing nuclear submarines from the Clyde. Seems fair and simple.

You need to actually be doing something at the count. So get in touch with branch and volunteer to be an observer or something. In my experience anyone who wanted to be there could be there but I suppose the membership is larger now.

You not got to work for Dundee City cooncil to do the count/work at the polling station? I applied but never made the cut again, applied to work on the last 3 now and haven't been needed. You get decent money for doing it plus half a day off

We will support the Tories on EVEL if they support us on removing nuclear submarines from the Clyde. Seems fair and simple.

Why? In my opinion the two are not comparable. EVEL is about accountability whereas Trident is a strategic decision made for the UK by the UK. Cannot see how the linking of these two issues makes a modicum of sense.

SNP probably vote it down on the principle that ot could affect Scottish funding.

Very few issues will affect Scottish funding. Also this would be down to the designation of what are English issues. The principle stands, the SNP cannot be against EVEL at the same time as seeking more devolved powers. This is an un-tenable position.

Why? In my opinion the two are not comparable. EVEL is about accountability whereas Trident is a strategic decision made for the UK by the UK. Cannot see how the linking of these two issues makes a modicum of sense.

Politics is about representing the interests of the people who voted you into office. We use what we have to bargain with the other parties in order to achieve our ends.

The people of Scotland have been fucked up by successive Labour and Tory governments, I'm more interested in our representatives achieving goals rather than worrying about how they acheive them.

Politics is about representing the interests of the people who voted you into office. We use what we have to bargain with the other parties in order to achieve our ends.

The people of Scotland have been fucked up by successive Labour and Tory governments, I'm more interested in our representatives achieving goals rather than worrying about how they acheive them.

Which is all fine and dandy but we know that trident is not on the table. The issue for the SNP is that their principled stand on decisions being made by the people they affect is exactly what EVEL is intended to address (from the English perspective).

FuzzyAffro, on 06 Apr 2015 - 10:48, said:

Is this supposed to be trolling? I'm starting to think you're a troll

He's been a troll for a good long while. Can't believe so many people actually thought he was a sincere poster for a while. When it got closer to the election, he was always going to reel this character out again.

So many short memory spans on here.

Mr Bairns confusing

First post I ever saw him make was 'I'm voting no so that when I'm in Blackpool I won't feel like a foreigner'

Followed it up with a lot of intelligent posts and then occasionally drifts off into wind up mode now and then

Archived