General Election 2015

Ludo*1

200 days since the referendum, any new powers yet?

More people seem to have found the power of free thought, happy days.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scotland isn't a region of anything champ. And Scotland not getting the government it votes for is untenable. Except to a British nationalist. Once more refer to it as a region and compare it to Leeds.

The only valid comparison to Scotland is England. Tell me, does England get the government it votes for? Most of the time yes it does, does Scotland, usually not, and if it does its purely coincidental. That's a problem.

That's absolute bollocks.

My Britishness is not defined by rage at all my friend, it's you that continues to wallow in the role of shouty little man on here. The article wasn't perhaps what I was looking for, but you only need to read some of the language on this thread to realise that some of the behaviour and comment you highlight down south also very much exists up here. The words English c*nt appear to be perfectly acceptable? Imagine if I singled someone out in the Question Time audience and referred to them as an Irish, Chinese or Indian c*nt ?? I also note that none of the alleged examples of anti English abuse quoted in the original piece were challenged iirc . It works both ways, you and the rest of your P&B hangers on need stop pretending we hold some sort of moral high ground,we don't.

wtf is this?

If the Tories win the election for arguments sake, I vote Labour in Berwick, and someone else votes Labour in Eyemouth, am I getting the government I vote for because I'm in England but the guy in Eyemouth doesn't?

When I talk about this subject I'm not thinking along national lines, but purely on groups of people getting what they vote for. When it comes to that, it doesn't matter what cross section it is, a nation, a constituency, a family, women, gay people, builders, millionaires and so on. When it comes to a group of people feeling hard done by, you could pick any group of people.

Bringing decision making closer to home is a valid argument, saying you're hard done because you live in a certain geographical area or nation isn't. Although I suppose someone in the Isle Of Wight could claim to have less of a say than someone in the Western Isles.

If the Tories win the election for arguments sake, I vote Labour in Berwick, and someone else votes Labour in Eyemouth, am I getting the government I vote for because I'm in England but the guy in Eyemouth doesn't?

When I talk about this subject I'm not thinking along national lines, but purely on groups of people getting what they vote for. When it comes to that, it doesn't matter what cross section it is, a nation, a constituency, a family, women, gay people, builders, millionaires and so on. When it comes to a group of people feeling hard done by, you could pick any group of people.

Bringing decision making closer to home is a valid argument, saying you're hard done because you live in a certain geographical area or nation isn't. Although I suppose someone in the Isle Of Wight could claim to have less of a say than someone in the Western Isles.

The Scottish Government is not even the government voted for in the Holyrood elections. That is clearly unimportant and different.

:lol:

Jesus f**k

You just don't get it and never will.

As someone who has lived in Scotland and England for equal parts of my adult life, I have experienced both sides of this 'anti scottish' and 'anti english' viewpoints so here is my tuppence.

Firstly, I think so much of this is confused and mixed up with sporting rivalry. Having a sporting rivalry is a healthy thing for the most part, and 90% of anti Englishness I hear in Scotland is normally around sport. However the people of England/media often assume this sporting rivalry stems from a deep hatred of English people. Whilst historically there may be some truth in this, it isn't the case anymore. I genuinely haven't met a single person who genuinely hates the English just for being English!

Likewise there is no hatred of Scottish people in England. The sporting rivalry isn't there and the majority of people either want to see Scotland do well in sport or they don't care one way or the other. The feelings towards Scotland as a whole tends to be one of nothingness, an afterthought, one that is often (and rightly so) perceived as arrogance. I see a very similar attitude on here when I see people speaking about Shetlands and Orkney. The English feeling towards the Scots is no better or worse than to the Welsh or Northern Irish, in fact those countries are probably even less noticed by the people of England.

Then there is the small minority of people who are just scum and for whatever reason believe that they 'genuinely' hate the people of the other country. I have found there are more of these in Scotland and who can't seem to see the line between sporting rivalry and genuine hatred. It's interesting in Scotland that the small pocket of people who tend to hate the English for being English are young bams and old folk. I'm hoping the old folk are the last of a dying generation.

The portrayal by the media on both sides is a whole different kettle of fish. There are many agendas at work here, so many of their stories are written with political games at their heart and I think the majority are not a true reflection of the people.

My Britishness is not defined by rage at all my friend, it's you that continues to wallow in the role of shouty little man on here. The article wasn't perhaps what I was looking for, but you only need to read some of the language on this thread to realise that some of the behaviour and comment you highlight down south also very much exists up here. The words English c*nt appear to be perfectly acceptable? Imagine if I singled someone out in the Question Time audience and referred to them as an Irish, Chinese or Indian c*nt ?? I also note that none of the alleged examples of anti English abuse quoted in the original piece were challenged iirc . It works both ways, you and the rest of your P&B hangers on need stop pretending we hold some sort of moral high ground, we don't.

So, no proof then?

:lol:

Jesus f**k

You just don't get it and never will.

I clearly do. When it comes to thinking along 'getting what you vote for', you think purely along national lines. It's obviously by far and away the most important thing to you. That doesn't mean you're more hard done by than me if neither of us vote for the governing party.

I clearly do. When it comes to thinking along 'getting what you vote for', you think purely along national lines. It's obviously by far and away the most important thing to you. That doesn't mean you're more hard done by than me if neither of us vote for the governing party.

No you clearly don't

And you never ever will

No you clearly don't

And you never ever will

So it's a Tory majority government. I vote Labour or Lib Dem and you vote SNP. Please tell me how you're any more hard done by than me because you're in Scotland? My guess is you won't answer.

So it's a Tory majority government. I vote Labour or Lib Dem and you vote SNP. Please tell me how you're any more hard done by than me because you're in Scotland? My guess is you won't answer.

There's no point

You've been told time and time again why people feel that way and still spout the same shite in response to it every single time

You don't get it and won't ever get it

Just what I thought.

There are many reasons for independence. Bringing accountability closer to home, ideology differences, but pretending you're hard done by compared to anyone else in Britain isn't.

My Britishness is not defined by rage at all my friend, it's you that continues to wallow in the role of shouty little man on here. The article wasn't perhaps what I was looking for, but you only need to read some of the language on this thread to realise that some of the behaviour and comment you highlight down south also very much exists up here. The words English c*nt appear to be perfectly acceptable? Imagine if I singled someone out in the Question Time audience and referred to them as an Irish, Chinese or Indian c*nt ?? I also note that none of the alleged examples of anti English abuse quoted in the original piece were challenged iirc . It works both ways, you and the rest of your P&B hangers on need stop pretending we hold some sort of moral high ground, we don't.

"Jockestan".

I know you don't have to justify yourself to me, but if you're going to make a claim, it would be nice to hear your reasoning.

The same as everybody else's that's repeatedly been said on here

You don't and won't get it, as you're not Scottish and don't think Scotland should be independent, only the BritNats up here agree with your POV.

Archived