General Election 2015

Ludo*1

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm generally not 'into' politics and I've never been bothered about a general election before, but I'm genuinely excited about election day tomorrow. I think it's a combination of greater involvement after getting into the referendum campaign and a genuine sense that my vote will actually count for something in this election. I'm about 95% motivated by Jim Murphy hatred but it's still a real interest.

Anyone else feeling similar?

I'm generally not 'into' politics and I've never been bothered about a general election before, but I'm genuinely excited about election day tomorrow. I think it's a combination of greater involvement after getting into the referendum campaign and a genuine sense that my vote will actually count for something in this election. I'm about 95% motivated by Jim Murphy hatred but it's still a real interest.

Anyone else feeling similar?

I've been "into" politics since I was ten years old (I was at a sleepover birthday party in '92 and cried my fucking eyes out in my pal's kitchen in the morning) but for the most part as an adult I've been more concerned with US politics where it was easier to get an online discussion and where there seemed to be a genuine chance of change, as opposed to in Labour Scotland. Only since the indyref have I been genuinely involved in the process over here. It's only going to get worse in the next few years.

Can I ask the SNP vote on here....

1) Do you really want a Labour led coalition because it would be any easy ride for wee Nicky to make Milliband dance?

2) Are you banking on a Tory led Coalition that you feel would lead to an early 2nd Ref ?

3) Both 1 and 2 are a means to the end?

1) Do you really want a Labour led coalition because it would be any easy ride for wee Nicky to make Milliband dance?

2) Are you banking on a Tory led Coalition that you feel would lead to an early 2nd Ref ?

4)Couldnt give a f**k as long as theres lots of nats at westminster

1) That's what I'd like to see. I'm hoping, of course, that Labour will be more amenable to some of the SNP's proposals than the Tories would be but I obviously understand that minority government os about consensus and negotiation. Joking aside, I don't expect the SNP to "make Miliband dance".

2) I don't want a Tory-led coalition. That said, I do want independence. And if another Tory-led government makes independence more likely then I'll view that as a silver lining.

3) Yes and no. For the immediate future, I live in the United kingdom. For as long as that's the case, I'd like to see the UK prosper. If that can be achieved whilst furthering the case for independence then that's the ideal scenario. Ultimately, it will be increased devolution of powers that leads to this more than anything else.

My preference is a Labour minority government, which the SNP might be able to exert some pressure on.

My reasoning is pretty straightforward, I think this is what would be the best possible outcome for Scotland and also actually the UK. I don't want another Tory government but I'm not all that enthused about a Labour government who - left completely to their own devices - have only a slightly less shit package to offer.

There's an honest and clear answer Rob. Now here's some questions right back at you, who do you want to win the election tomorrow and why?

Independence supporters who want Tory governments are daft. There is no real benefit at all to the independence campaign from a Tory govt. Dafties will say oh but it pisses people off makes them support independence that's shite.

We had a Tory govt that won less than 2% of the seats in Scotland during the referendum and still lost. People voted, those that we could get to ie not raging bigots or Britnats, they voted with their pockets. It was just an economic decision

If the Tories are in government there is no chance they would grant a second referendum. They have no need to we have no hold over them they don't have any seats to lose here anyway. And they are fundamentally unionist, so will grant as little more powers as possible most likely none.

So if there is a Tory govt it guarantees no referendum, brings no new powers over and above Smith and is of no real benefit to support for independence given its an economic not political decision for most.

So those independence supporters wanting a Tory govt are total numpties. The best argument you could make for it is it may make a majority next year at Holyrood more likely for the SNP. Maybe it does a little, but that is the only real tangible benefit that could possibly be gained from a Tory govt. And that could be achieved without suffering another five years of the Tories anyway.

Independence supporters who want Tory governments are daft. There is no real benefit at all to the independence campaign from a Tory govt. Dafties will say oh but it pisses people off makes them support independence that's shite.

We had a Tory govt that won less than 2% of the seats in Scotland during the referendum and still lost. People voted, those that we could get to ie not raging bigots or Britnats, they voted with their pockets. It was just an economic decision

If the Tories are in government there is no chance they would grant a second referendum. They have no need to we have no hold over them they don't have any seats to lose here anyway. And they are fundamentally unionist, so will grant as little more powers as possible most likely none.

So if there is a Tory govt it guarantees no referendum, brings no new powers over and above Smith and is of no real benefit to support for independence given its an economic not political decision for most.

So those independence supporters wanting a Tory govt are total numpties. The best argument you could make for it is it may make a majority next year at Holyrood more likely for the SNP. Maybe it does a little, but that is the only real tangible benefit that could possibly be gained from a Tory govt. And that could be achieved without suffering another five years of the Tories anyway.

You all right Fuzzy ?? I'm in total agreement even as a Labour man.Im all warm inside.

If I thought that Labour would reverse any of Ian Duncan Smith's declarations of war on the poor and disabled, I'd hope they did well. However Murphy has already said repeatedly that he agrees with them, and Labour winning in 97 did nothing to reverse Thatcher's anti Union legislation, so I hold out no hope. One thing the Tories have managed to do is to con the Markets into thinking that we're living within our means and cutting the debt. They haven't, they've doubled it in 5 years. The cuts they've made to spending have been off the top, the easiest slices. To get down to zero in the next 5 years will be impossible without ripping the Welfare State apart, and probably things like defence and policing too which the Tory backbenchers wouldn't be keen on. If Labour win and don't start immediate savage cuts the markets will downgrade us and start charging higher interest on our huge borrowing requirement. If the Tories win they'll probably get away with the same as the last 5 years, reducing spending a bit, but only reducing the deficit by half as much as they promised, whilst keeping the markets on side. So Welshbairn says, vote SNP and don't care too much about who the next Prime Minister is, we're fucked anyway. :)

My preference is a Labour minority government, which the SNP might be able to exert some pressure on.

My reasoning is pretty straightforward, I think this is what would be the best possible outcome for Scotland and also actually the UK. I don't want another Tory government but I'm not all that enthused about a Labour government who - left completely to their own devices - have only a slightly less shit package to offer.

There's an honest and clear answer Rob. Now here's some questions right back at you, who do you want to win the election tomorrow and why?

Ok Mate, I'll have a go. I'm voting for my MP as an individual, not for the party they represent, but I think they've given it an honest shot and worked hard since elected!

On a national level, I'm hoping for a working majority for the Tories. I'm no fan of Cameron, but as a Unionist I think they represent the best chance of holding things together for the next 5 years.

If that means enticing what's left of the Lib Dem seats through Clegg and the DUP then so be it!

I think wee Nicky has done an amazing job as leader of the SNP, think what might have happened if she had been in the driving seat pre-Ref !?

I might not like her end game but she is a formidable politician.

That leaves Milliband and Balls, I cant believe anyone in their right mind would give these two clowns the keys back to the treasury after only five years of almost bringing the UK to its knees.

There you go, an honest answer I hope?

On a national level, I'm hoping for a working majority for the Tories. I'm no fan of Cameron, but as a Unionist I think they represent the best chance of holding things together for the next 5 years.

What a stand up chap you are Robert.

5 more years of marginalising the poor and disabled. 5 more years of food banks. 5 more years of people forced into work fair jobs just to make the employment figures go down a bit. 5 more years of the rich benefitting and the poor being treated like cattle.

All to keep the union together.

If you care so much for the citizens of the UK, you'll be hoping the Tories get booted out. I'm doing my bit by voting SNP.

:)

Archived