Any lunatics still thinking Messi is the best?

Mr Romanov

Real Madrid should be advising him to miss these penalties on purpose because penalties dont count as much as other goals

I know right? I mean, it's so easy to score penalties against professional goalkeepers while tens of thousands watch on; goals against the opposition are clearly stratified depending on how they are actually scored.

I know right? I mean, it's so easy to score penalties against professional goalkeepers while tens of thousands watch on; goals against the opposition are clearly stratified depending on how they are actually scored.

Football should be like the NBA where a goal scored from outside the box counts as three

Well, yes. If you're the second best footballer in the world, like Ronaldo is, it should be pretty easy to score from 12 yards, almost unopposed.

Well, yes. If you're the second best footballer in the world, like Ronaldo is, it should be pretty easy to score from 12 yards, almost unopposed.

Both Ronaldo and Messi are two of the best footballers to have ever kicked a ball; instead of continually trying to place one upon a pedestal above the other, why not just appreciate they both score ridiculous amounts of goals in single seasons and consistently break records?

Yeah, Ronaldo scored more penalties? So what? He still needed to score them. A goal against the opposition is a goal nonetheless.

Both Ronaldo and Messi are two of the best footballers to have ever kicked a ball; instead of continually trying to place one upon a pedestal above the other, why not just appreciate they both score ridiculous amounts of goals in single seasons and consistently break records?

Yeah, Ronaldo scored more penalties? So what? He still needed to score them. A goal against the opposition is a goal nonetheless.

I never said anything different, just that for the second best player in the world it should be pretty straightforward to score a penalty. Do you disagree?

I enjoy watching both of them play but I think, so far at least, Messi has been the better player. I don't think there's anything wrong with the debate itself. You can appreciate both and still realise that Messi has been the better player up to this point.

Messi's the best player in the world, and he misses penalties fairly regularly. It's a skill (both technically and mentally), just like any other, and should be treated as such.

Messi for me.

Its easy to see why people prefer Ronaldo but there is not many areas where he can be considered better than Messi.

Ronaldo is better physically, more of an athlete. His left peg is stronger than Messi's right and Ronaldo is stronger in the air. A year or two ago I would of said he was better at free kicks but to be honest Seb Larsson is better than both of them at free kicks recently.

Surely if you were playing you would rather have Messi in your team than Ronaldo?

• 2 months later...