Scotland v Republic of Ireland

Lyle Lanley

I'm just not buying this 'two teams out to make the game physical' line I've seen trotted out.

Scotland played all the football, Ireland tried to kick us off the park.

I only saw the 2nd half but I thought Scotland played some good technical football. Naismith and Maloney were very skillful at keeping the ball. Whittaker and Robertson were excellent in support going forward and Brown and Mulgrew were in charge of the midfield. Ireland played plenty of long ball stuff and were sluggish and uncreative after the knockdowns from Walters and Long. One criticism of Scotland is that we didn't have bodies in the box when crosses were played in and when Ireland were deep there wasn't much craft in breaking them down but all in all we made them look very average which is what they are.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed and I have no problem with that. It was going on for a long time before we ever had a Celtic and Rangers however and seeing the relationship between the two places reduced to that is very simplistic.

Basically agree with what you are posting, but one of the goals of the Plantation of Ulster in geostrategic terms was to drive a permanent wedge between the Gaels of Ireland and Hebridean and Highland Scotland, which is why what was once one language and culture is now four centuries later regarded as two and the older relationship that you have in mind is lost in the mists of time for most people.

The links go back and forth Waspie, but the vitriol seems to be almost entirely one-way.

You must have blinkers on if you can't see it is two-way.

I only saw the 2nd half but I thought Scotland played some good technical football. Naismith and Maloney were very skillful at keeping the ball. Whittaker and Robertson were excellent in support going forward and Brown and Mulgrew were in charge of the midfield. Ireland played plenty of long ball stuff and were sluggish and uncreative after the knockdowns from Walters and Long. One criticism of Scotland is that we didn't have bodies in the box when crosses were played in and when Ireland were deep there wasn't much craft in breaking them down but all in all we made them look very average which is what they are.

Totally agree. Hopefully that's just the final piece of Strachan's jigsaw.

He seems to be having no luck in finding a regular goalscorer though - not necessarily a great player, just a guy who will bag us roughly 1 in 2 . Steven Fletcher is a gifted player, but he's not going to be a regular source of goals for us. Naismith will chip in maybe 1 in 5 games, but his main contribution is in disrupting the defence rather than applying the finishing touch. Martin looks like a square peg in a round hole from what I've seen. McCormack, Rhodes, Griffiths are drifting out of the international reckoning.

Here's hoping Stevie May might be the right fit for us up front.

Half Rice Half Chips isn't doing a great job of covering his absolute seethe at Friday's result.

I support Scotland first, Ireland second. My wish is for both countries to qualify from the group if possible. But I cannot and will not support those who hide behind "football rivalry" in order to spout their (scarcely-concealed at the best of times) anti-Irish bigotry.

Totally agree. Hopefully that's just the final piece of Strachan's jigsaw.

He seems to be having no luck in finding a regular goalscorer though - not necessarily a great player, just a guy who will bag us roughly 1 in 2 . Steven Fletcher is a gifted player, but he's not going to be a regular source of goals for us. Naismith will chip in maybe 1 in 5 games, but his main contribution is in disrupting the defence rather than applying the finishing touch. Martin looks like a square peg in a round hole from what I've seen. McCormack, Rhodes, Griffiths are drifting out of the international reckoning.

Here's hoping Stevie May might be the right fit for us up front.

Maybe Steve May is one for the future. There's not really that sort of player that stands out. I think at this level Naismith and Fletcher are the best forward players and they tend to drop deeper than a classic goal poacher, I think that sort of player is rare in todays game goals are spread around the team more. Martin doesn't look terribly mobile which is part of the problem but it's just too early to judge I think.

Maybe Steve May is one for the future. There's not really that sort of player that stands out. I think at this level Naismith and Fletcher are the best forward players and they tend to drop deeper than a classic goal poacher, I think that sort of player is rare in todays game goals are spread around the team more. Martin doesn't look terribly mobile which is part of the problem but it's just too early to judge I think.

Agree re the typical striker these days, but our guys just aren't producing the goals like those all-round forwards from other national teams.

Could be worse though, we could be Wales, who really don't have a striker of any repute to call upon.

Agree re the typical striker these days, but our guys just aren't producing the goals like those all-round forwards from other national teams.

Could be worse though, we could be Wales, who really don't have a striker of any repute to call upon.

Aye but they've got Bale who can produce something out of nothing.

We don't have a luxury like that.

But I cannot and will not support those who hide behind "football rivalry" in order to spout their (scarcely-concealed at the best of times) anti-Irish bigotry.

See this pish !! this pish really rips my knitting !!

I couldn't give a f'ck about Ireland, I bear them no grudge, no f'ck what-so-ever but I have criticized McCarthy in the past on here for deciding not to play for Scotland - if he'd picked Wales I'd still have criticized him and no doubt I'd have been critisized in return for doing so ... but because it's Ireland some fandan just has to roll up and bleat about anti-Irish bigotry.

C*nts !

See this pish !! this pish really rips my knitting !!

I couldn't give a f'ck about Ireland, I bear them no grudge, no f'ck what-so-ever but I have criticized McCarthy in the past on here for deciding not to play for Scotland - if he'd picked Wales I'd still have criticized him and no doubt I'd have been critisized in return for doing so ... but because it's Ireland some fandan just has to roll up and bleat about anti-Irish bigotry.

C*nts !

You're not getting my point. in my opinion, the booing of McGeady (and McCarthy if he was playing) was fair-game (as long as it didn't descend into "ya fen1an b*****d" territory).

What I was referring to was Irish fans being called "fen1an b*****ds", "dirty ta1g b*****ds" and having the famine song sung at them. That has nothing to do with McCarthy/McGeady.

Edited by Half Rice Half Chips

You're not getting my point. in my opinion, the booing of McGeady (and McCarthy if he was playing) was fair-game (as long as it didn't descend into "ya fen1an b*****d" territory).

What I was referring to was Irish fans being called "fen1an b*****ds", "dirty ta1g b*****ds" and having the famine song sung at them. That has nothing to do with McCarthy/McGeady.

Yep, and the majority of folk on here or at CP on Friday hate those c***s just as much as the Scottish plastics wearing their Celtic scarves in the home end. They're essentially the same people, it's a toss of the coin which 'side' they happen to be on.

In that case I apologize - I certainly didn't get your point.

Having explained your point though you're obviously touching on what a very large chunk of "football rivalry" in Scotland is built on - whilst I don't give a f'ck about Ireland bizarrely large swathes of Scots born folk somehow do !! And, of course, the utterly pointless country to the North of it as well !! There are better countries to spend your life immersed in squabbling over but it's a big part of many Scots folks lives !!

All that is hardly Rocket Surgery of course, no one on here really needs it explained to them - were you expecting anything different ?

At the UEFA Cup Final at Hampden a few years ago a bunch of fans behind me started chanting sectarian pish !! If it can happen there I certainly wouldn't have been surprised to hear it at Celtic park the other night !

In that case I apologize - I certainly didn't get your point.

Having explained your point though you're obviously touching on what a very large chunk of "football rivalry" in Scotland is built on - whilst I don't give a f'ck about Ireland bizarrely large swathes of Scots born folk somehow do !! And, of course, the utterly pointless country to the North of it as well !! There are better countries to spend your life immersed in squabbling over but it's a big part of many Scots folks lives !!

All that is hardly Rocket Surgery of course, no one on here really needs it explained to them - were you expecting anything different ?

At the UEFA Cup Final at Hampden a few years ago a bunch of fans behind me started chanting sectarian pish !! If it can happen there I certainly wouldn't have been surprised to hear it at Celtic park the other night !

What has Iceland ever done to you? ;)

The Fianna are as much part of Scottish mythology as they are Irish. The links between Scotland and Ireland go back centuries with an almost constant stream of people back and forth. It's ridiculous that to some people the age old relationship between the two places is seen almost entirely through the context of a century long rivalry between two football clubs based in Glasgow. Unfortunately it seems that plenty of people in our OF obsessed sports media suffered from that. Ludicrous to see them asking Strachan was he worried about playing at Celtic Park.

Anyway, far more important that all that shite was the win. I'm still watching that goal over and over again. With the Waspies then getting a draw at Ibrox on Saturday this was a quite magnificent sporting weekend. Bring on England :)

Love that roar when we scored. Here is a video of the goal from multiple angles