Scotland v Republic of Ireland

Lyle Lanley

It's been a strange wee exchange this - I've told you how I feel about my claim to two nationalities and how my son feels about his claim to two nationalities and whilst you've been telling me straight out that I'm wrong you've also felt the need to state that I'm "self righteous", "arrogant" and that I think I have the right to tell others they're wrong whilst I'm right !!

Even when I say I genuinely don't know, state that I don't want to argue and ask you to explain you still pop up to claim that I'm saying I'm right and others are wrong.

And that's without even mentioning the utterly bizarre "similar looking nationalities" statement you made !

Right, this is the last from me (I'm sure you'll be gutted to hear that).

I've never said you or your son are wrong to call yourselves Scottish, why on earth would I do that? My (very basic) point, is that people are allowed to make their own decision. That's why folk saying "you aren't Irish" to Scottish born people of Irish descent is arrogant and self righteous.

The "similar looking nationalities" point is that when someone is born in one country but has family from a country where the people look very different to the citizens of where they're born (my examples were 2nd generation Indians/Italians in Scotland) nobody bats an eyelid at these people's right to dual nationality. When it's more similar looking people like Scots and Irish everyone gets pissy about people respecting their history. In fairness that doesn't apply to you as you said your Chinese born grandson would be Chinese and that's that.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the actual f'ck is this pish ? seriously ? Away and take yer head for a shite !

Would it be racist to suggest wesley snipes does not look chinese? considering it is possible for

I bet you would moan if someone said groundskeeper Willie looks scottish. You would hit out with all sorts.

SCOTTISH ISNT A RACE!

SCOTTISH ARE NOT JUST WHITE GINGER PEOPLE!

THERE IS NO SCOTTISH LOOK!

To think it is an outrageous statement to say the scots and irish look the same is absurd

Would it be racist to suggest wesley snipes does not look chinese? considering it is possible for

I bet you would moan if someone said groundskeeper Willie looks scottish. You would hit out with all sorts.

SCOTTISH ISNT A RACE!

To think it is an outrageous statement to say the scots and irish look the same is absurd

I think you're ranting at the wrong person.

SCOTTISH ISNT A RACE!

wehavereachedthatpointwereweshouldturnba

Scots/Irish parentage and Celtic my team,it seems to me there is still a lot of hate the Irish bile going down,and here was me thinking it only came from the *** end of the Sevco support apparently got that wrong,my hopes that we were rid of this type of nonsense seems to be dashed,I think it is a big problem for most Scots and it comes out now and again,maybe the Scots can,t stand the Irish because they wouldn,t ever bow down to the English/British war machine,regardless of what they could throw at them they stood tall and proud,they taught us a lesson.As for the game "thuggery" bit strong really Scotland just edged it in the skill department but there wasn,t as the scoreline suggests much in it,I wanted Scotland to win but hope that the republic are up there.

Can't punctuate nor think for himself.

Straight from An Phoblacht.

I think it is a big problem for most Scots and it comes out now and again,maybe the Scots can,t stand the Irish because they wouldn,t ever bow down to the English/British war machine,regardless of what they could throw at them they stood tall and proud,they taught us a lesson

ROFL.

It is blown entirely out of proportion though, does not help when you have morons like PhilMcMadeupname bleating about it every 5 minutes at the same time as referring to other as the klan.

Or bigots on this site using the sectarian word ***.I'm sure they will try and explain their reasons for using the word,it still does not exempt them from being a bigot.

Perhaps not, but you quite clearly said "the knuckle-draggers that support Northern Ireland or England ahead of Scotland rate higher in the moron stakes", without qualifying where they were from.

Incidentally, I do not believe that we are brothers.

I think the presence of "ahead of Scotland" in that sentence makes it pretty clear who he was referring to.

Can't believe I'm going to wade into this absolute car crash, but...

Me and the Mrs went on Friday and she wore her Ireland top and flag. We attended that pre match party in the Barrowlands and to be fair to 99.99% of Scotland fans they were magic. A lot of folk welcoming her to the country (she's lived here for years) and genuinely telling her they couldn't wait for the return leg etc.

A few noting points though, am

I the only one that finds it absolutely cringeworthy that we booed nearly every song they sang? It's one thing to boo FoA etc because your warped mind instantly associates it with Celtic (who Scotland weren't playing btw) but I heard chorus of boos towards towards Galway Girl of all things. I doubt Loch Lomand will be met by many boos when every pub in Dublin is playing it in June. Perhaps a petty annoyance, but one nonetheless. The other was the couple of anti-Irish comments my mrs did endure weren't from people from Glasgow or the West. It was all stuff like "typical weegie supporting that filth". Why would you automatically assume someone with an Irish flag was a "plastic" instead of actually being Irish. I think these people just hate the Old Firm more than they hate "plastics" or "wannabe Brits"

On the subject of nationality with McGeady, if my kids decide to support Ireland I'll be happy enough with that. They'll grow up in a house with both cultures, and my mrs (rightly) wants them to learn the Irish language and about the heritage of her country. How could anyone deny that, just because that child would be born in Scotland, that he/she hasn't got that choice to make?

Anyway, I'm even boring myself now. Congratulations if you've made it this far.

I the only one that finds it absolutely cringeworthy that we booed nearly every song they sang? It's one thing to boo FoA etc because your warped mind instantly associates it with Celtic (who Scotland weren't playing btw) but I heard chorus of boos towards towards Galway Girl of all things. I doubt Loch Lomand will be met by many boos when every pub in Dublin is playing it in June. Perhaps a petty annoyance, but one nonetheless.

Yeah I would agree with this. I personally think it's because Scotland only really have two songs that everyone knows and one of them is the anthem. Therefore, it does get a bit boring singing 'We'll be coming' incessantly and so the atmosphere dies down quite a bit and people were then more jeering the Ireland fans singing than the actual songs themselves.

The Ireland fans were quite decent up until the goal went in, to be fair. I thought they were really sound in general, before the match and after it.

Yeah I would agree with this. I personally think it's because Scotland only really have two songs that everyone knows and one of them is the anthem. Therefore, it does get a bit boring singing 'We'll be coming' incessantly and so the atmosphere dies down quite a bit and people were then more jeering the Ireland fans singing than the actual songs themselves.

The Ireland fans were quite decent up until the goal went in, to be fair. I thought they were really sound in general, before the match and after it.

Agree, I have a lot of family in Ireland, co. tip to be precise. 2 of my cousins came over for match, we all went together. Me with my Scotland gear them with the Irish colours. As always, the Irish were superb.

In my experience most people who actually live in ROI do not have a hint of sectarian in their actions. This seems to be prevalent in small pockets of North Dublin, north ireland and particularly the plastic paddys in West of Scotland.

ROI is an extremely progressive country

All of this is my opinion of course

On the subject of nationality with McGeady, if my kids decide to support Ireland I'll be happy enough with that. They'll grow up in a house with both cultures, and my mrs (rightly) wants them to learn the Irish language and about the heritage of her country. How could anyone deny that, just because that child would be born in Scotland, that he/she hasn't got that choice to make?

Anyway, I'm even boring myself now. Congratulations if you've made it this far.

McGeady's father and mother were both Scottish were they not, dad went to Holyrood High.

McGeady's father and mother were both Scottish were they not, dad went to Holyrood High.

And?

History has shown us time and time again you can't force an identity on people.

If he sees himself as Irish, who cares. He said from the outset he wanted to play for the Republic. It's not as if he came through the Scottish set up then changes his mind at the last moment.

Just read a friend of mine on FB describe himself as African in a post on racism, even though he was born and raised in Essex.

BRB, away to tell him he isn't African with a few African stereotypes thrown in to increase the banter.