Scotland v Republic of Ireland

Lyle Lanley

The last time i've seen Scotland lose was the 3-2 Spain game in 2010. Currently on a 5 match unbeaten run.

Think mine is two competitive defeats out of 15 or 16. I think anyway.

Hampden Park fucking loves me.

ETA: It's nothing like 15 or 16 actually, more like 10 IIRC. Not bad anyway.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, very evenly matched imo also.

In club terms would be two mid table championship sides.

Ideally would like to see us both though but that's not looking likely. Really good result for Poland tonight, I don't think Scotland have ever won over there.

You'd have to believe all the Premiership media hype to think Scotland's best squad couldn't compete well in the Premiership. If Scotland's best 23 man squad played a season in the Premiership they'd come about 10-12th I reckon.

Why would Scotland be a mid table Championship side, when the only players that play at Championship level are nearly all some of the best players in that division?

Coleman, O'Shea, McCarthy and Long/Keane would start for Scotland but I don't think anyone else would.

Two extremely even matched teams though. Anyone on either side trying to make out their team is much better is a twat.

O'Shea ahead of Martin/Hanley? No thanks, not on this campaign's evidence. The only one I'd be overly keen to take in the Scotland starting 11 is McCarthy, maybe McGeady too: both of whom are of course Scottish anyway.

We're obviously not miles ahead, but we are demonstrably better, and I'm confident the final group table will show that.

You'd have to believe all the Premiership media hype to think Scotland's best squad couldn't compete well in the Premiership. If Scotland's best 23 man squad played a season in the Premiership they'd come about 10-12th I reckon.

Why would Scotland be a mid table Championship side, when the only players that play at Championship level are nearly all some of the best players in that division?

Sorry mate, didn't make myself very clear. I was meaning both teams are probably a level below the very best at international level and if the international game was, well it will be soon, divided into 4 leagues we'd probably be a mid table championship outfit along with the Oirish.

If I did follow your train of thought I think 10-12th might be pushing it but we'd more than likely survive.

Ireland have qualified for 2 tournaments since Scotland last did & it wouldve been 3 if it wasnae for a handball so, frankly, your full of shite. :rolleyes:

I know. I'd love Scotland to have been as clinical as RoI have been in the last decade at dispatching diddy teams. And Scotland have been murder for most of the last 15 years. The reality is though that RoI have repeatedly shown that they don't have it in them to beat serious opponents in competitive games. Their tactic has been to beat all the shitey teams and then shitfest their way to a couple of draws against the good teams. And it's worked on occasion.

The shocking fact is though that no Ireland fan in their early 20s will be able to remember their team beating a serious opponent in a competitive game. I won't be surprised if they go through this campaign without beating Germany, Scotland or Poland.

Ireland are a team of cloggers. They'll probably pick up a couple of points against Scotland and Poland in Dublin though.

Edited by Gordon EF

O'Shea ahead of Martin/Hanley? No thanks, not on this campaign's evidence. The only one I'd be overly keen to take in the Scotland starting 11 is McCarthy, maybe McGeady too: both of whom are of course Scottish anyway.

We're obviously not miles ahead, but we are demonstrably better, and I'm confident the final group table will show that.

John O'Shea is an extremely average footballer (these days especially) but he's been an absolute machine for Ireland in recent years. You won't find many examples of a player who does the business for his country more than for club than John O'Shea. Remember him blocking a shot from three yards away off the line with his face against Russia in the last minute? The guy is an Irish hero. Even tonight, Scotland were the far better team but never really got a look in from their defence until they produced an absolute bit of class.

The thing about these (probably pointless) comparisons between Scotland and Ireland's squad is that it's tricky when the players are so evenly matched in most positions, but believe me having O'Shea in would be one of the obvious ones, especially as Hanley is pish.

Sorry mate, didn't make myself very clear. I was meaning both teams are probably a level below the very best at international level and if the international game was, well it will be soon, divided into 4 leagues we'd probably be a mid table championship outfit along with the Oirish.

If I did follow your train of thought I think 10-12th might be pushing it but we'd more than likely survive.

Fair enough, I get you now.