Arbroath v Nairn County

Donadoni

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lacklustre today.....horseshit at times. Linn needs to get the finger out, poor again today. Lowdon doesn't look a LM and was surprised to see Johnstone slot in there. Whatley or Stewart best for us.

I thought we had several good 5 minutes spells with showings of the link up play we're capable of but aside from that it was a fairly even game and Nairn proved to be fairly even competition on the day, and they could easily have got a draw from the game.

I thought Lowdon was okay in the first half in terms of coming forward but offered absolutely no protection to McBride at LB who time and again was doubled up on and was left chasing shadows. Not sure if this was Lowdon's own doing if he was instruction to be more central/ further up the park.... I suspect the former. Second half he offered a wee bit more protection to McBride but very little going forward, and I thought Johnstone did a very good job when he came on, both defensively and when we attacked. I think if we we're in a similar situation with a straight choice between the two I'd go for Johnstone. I also think McBride has done well at left back, with excellent position and rarely wasting the ball when distributing it, I hope he continues there for the foreseeable future.

One thing I've noticed in the last few weeks is when we do bring players into the side, either off the bench or to replace a regular who is unavailable, they seem to really be busting a gut to impress and stay in the side, which is excellent to have. A few months ago I questioned having such a large squad (22 players at the time) but it is proving it's worth, and I'm sure Allan Moore (15 years a manager in the lower leagues) knows more than me (15 year fan in the lower leagues, usually either hungover or pished on a Saturday ;) ). I do think the closeness of todays game shows why the suggestions of bringing players in who've had little or no game time for this game as if it was a friendly against the FPs we're rather silly though ;):P

Finally - can't believe the attendance was announced as 682.... looked a lot more there to me, I thought our biggest home crowd of the season, probably the biggest home support so far outside the game against Montrose

Going on what we've seen so far this season, think this squad would do a job nicely in league one. Sign them? No doubt the vultures will be circling already.

Im not convinced this squad is good enough for league 1, big difference in the quality imo. Not far off tho probably just 3 or 4 quality additions would do the trick!

Im not convinced this squad is good enough for league 1, big difference in the quality imo. Not far off tho probably just 3 or 4 quality additions would do the trick!

I'm not convinced either, especially with the back 4

Enjoyed the trip to Arbroath and enjoyed the game. Our keeper us in it, but it was tight right at the end and I was hoping for a replay. Everyone appreciated the hospitality in Arbroath and it would be great to be able to return the favour. Good luck in the next round, and have to say that we loved Gayfield and the fact that so many changed ends at Half time. Brilliant!

Archived