The Storms & Severe Weather Thread

CityDave

9 minutes ago, greendot said:

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.6586ea87d2f617bdebfa367513a97f02.jpg

The new barriers were designed to provide a '1-in-200-years standard of defence', not stop flooding altogether (or prevent flooding for the next 200 years, as somebody's bound to interpret that as).

I think it's fair to to say that a >200mm in a single night dump of rain is indeed one of those 1-in-200 events, not a case of somebody doing their sums wrong.  As Mackie points out, levels on par with the current freak event haven't been seen for at least 50 years, and probably the 50 years before that.

Edited by Hedgecutter

4 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

The new barriers were designed to provide a '1-in-200-years standard of defence', not stop flooding altogether (or prevent flooding for the next 200 years, as somebody's bound to interpret that as).

I think it's fair to to say that a >200mm in a single night dump of rain is indeed one of those 1-in-200 events, not a case of somebody doing their sums wrong.

I was reading elsewhere someone had suggested the river was approx 300 mm above the previous record high so its very much a 1 in 200 year event but I'm in absolutely no doubt that if the defenses were raised to allow for that sort of level 1. there would still be complaints if that then failed further down the line and 2. The 16million cost to install the current protective measures would raise beyond the budget allocated so they're damned if they do, damned if they don't (i understand the use of that phrase isn't the best!)

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

200(2).gif.c18d742e5313d89bf079621b9b03c48c.gif

Eta: having read back, I suspect you misunderstood my post.  People in Angus do pronounce the Z in Edzell (& Zoar), making it one of the anomalies around Scotland where the Z is otherwise normally silent (and I was asking why Edzell was an exception). 

As much as you want Culzean to have a Z in its pronunciation, it doesn't.  It's firmly in the "that's how it's said, not just a local pronunciation" category, in there with the likes of Milngavie, Hawick & Findochty.

Referring to a post below though, Snine (for Sandend) is very much in the 'local name for it' category, in alongside Foggie (for Aberchirder, which fwiw has a silent c).

Aye I did misunderstand, sorry. I didn't realise folk in Angus pronounced it that way. That's quite the anomaly then. I can see how "Edyell" could morph into "Edzell" in a more anglicised culture as it's not as distinct in pronunciation as Finzean, for instance. I hope it's something more interesting though.

And regarding the pronunciation of Culzean. I thought that was a clear whoosh, but I guess not. I spent every summer at Croy Shore until I was 16 and walked to and around the Culzean grounds so frequently I could do it blindfold now. I ken how to pronounce it.

I get the feeling you're not going to let the Edzell thing lie, so let us know what you find out.

46 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I think it's fair to to say that a >200mm in a single night dump of rain is indeed one of those 1-in-200 events, not a case of somebody doing their sums wrong.  As Mackie points out, levels on par with the current freak event haven't been seen for at least 50 years, and probably the 50 years before that.

21 October 2203

Dear Sir

As a resident of Brechin whose garden is presently a swimming pool I am disappointed that I did not have another 20 years to prepare for this.  It is only 180 years ago since the last event and I purchased this house on the clear understanding…

11 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogh

Angus place names are far more likely to be Pictish and far less likely to have a gaelic yogh (z) in them.

As an aside, how do you pronounce Culzean?

Hope that helps.

Yoghs aren't Gaelic they are Scots /Middle English 

The Scots speakers would have used the yogh to approximate the soft g from the Gaelic Eigill.

The hard Z must be a recent thing as it's Aigle in Scots.

18 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Some photos of flooding in Dundee.

FB_IMG_1697878081412.jpg

FB_IMG_1697878064722.jpg

FB_IMG_1697878049192.jpg

FB_IMG_1697878027493.jpg

FB_IMG_1697878015404.jpg

FB_IMG_1697878007657.jpg

Well at least the Construction company in the bottom picture havent done too much work and will no doubt sensibly cease building houses in what is obviously a flood plain.......If not good luck getting a decent insurance quote if you buy a hoose there

23 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Well at least the Construction company in the bottom picture havent done too much work and will no doubt sensibly cease building houses in what is obviously a flood plain.......If not good luck getting a decent insurance quote if you buy a hoose there

That's not housing but a new school - the future merged (or should that be submerged?) Braeview Academy/Craigie High School.

27 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

That's not housing but a new school - the future merged (or should that be submerged?) Braeview Academy/Craigie High School.

ah well, so local kids can expect a few days off school in future as their classrooms are flooded then