The Storms & Severe Weather Thread

CityDave

Power has gone a few times but only for 20 second max. Now if I had a flux capacitor and a machine capable of 88mph...

Mines went off for about 20mins and came back on about a few mins ago.

Was superb here in the Methil (not a sentence that comes along too often). We live pretty close to the Forth so the view was great of it over the water. Lasted from about half 12 up until about half an hour ago, can still see it in the distance though towards North Berwick & further East.

At one point there was a big streak of lightening between our house & the row of houses across from us & the noise was something else. Not sure if it hit the ground or not but it couldn't have been far off it. Not seen anything like that in Scotland before, normally a few flashes and a bit of thunder then it fucks off.

Just passed over me just now, nearly caused me to have a heart attack.

Sat in bed reading a book, heard distant rumbles so was expecting something. Got a text from my sister in Arbroath that it was head north and it was ace to watch a wee while before hand... completely forgot the window was open. All of a thunder clap so loud happened I literally jumped several feet in the air, it wasn't right over me but it was really close.

Then had an enjoyable time watching it as it headed north

Wish we got more thunder and lightning storms

According to the Met Office today for us in Scotland its late afternoon, evening and right through until midnight. Throughout today main focus will be on the storm system now reaching up into Southern England from France.

Right now there are a few showers out over the west Highlands and Western Isles, one or two were giving off lightning a couple of hours ago and that cluster of thundery showers that crossed through Scotland last night and the early hours is now out in the North Sea 100 miles or so north-east of Wick and Aberdeen.

Plenty happening last night, no idea yet if we had thunder and lightning in Inverness in the early hours (slept right through until 7). Aberdeen could be the place to be today being the warmest place in Scotland could fuel some major stormage. I read they had a good TS over there at about 2am last night which lasted nearly an hour.

Some brilliant stuff in Aberdeen during the wee hours, comparable to stuff I'd only ever seen abroad. I ended up watching sheet /forked lightning from the window for about 15 mins. Went back to bed and could still 'see' the whole room illuminate even with my eyes closed. Strangely very little noise though (sound proofed windows though) - estimated to be around 5 miles away given the thunder delay, which made it much better not worrying about anything of mine getting zapped.

Blue skies all around just now though. :)

Edited by Hedgecutter

According to the Met Office today for us in Scotland its late afternoon, evening and right through until midnight. Throughout today main focus will be on the storm system now reaching up into Southern England from France.

Right now there are a few showers out over the west Highlands and Western Isles, one or two were giving off lightning a couple of hours ago and that cluster of thundery showers that crossed through Scotland last night and the early hours is now out in the North Sea 100 miles or so north-east of Wick and Aberdeen.

Plenty happening last night, no idea yet if we had thunder and lightning in Inverness in the early hours (slept right through until 7). Aberdeen could be the place to be today being the warmest place in Scotland could fuel some major stormage. I read they had a good TS over there at about 2am last night which lasted nearly an hour.

Excellent stuff Dave. Keep the reports coming

Some brilliant stuff in Aberdeen during the wee hours, comparable to stuff I'd only ever seen abroad. I ended up watching sheet /forked lightning from the window for about 15 mins. Went back to bed and could still 'see' the whole room illuminate even with my eyes closed. Strangely very little noise though (sound proofed windows though) - estimated to be around 5 miles away given the thunder delay, which made it much better not worrying about anything of mine getting zapped.

Blue skies all around just now though. :)

Scary thought of the day. :lol: Lightning can travel 10 miles (16km) away from the actual storm. Many a golfer has made that mistake thinking the storm is too far away, 'there's plenty of time'. The rule is 'If you can hear the thunder, you are at risk'.

Yesterday I was watching lightning almost right above me and it took about 5 seconds to hear the thunder from it.

Edited by CityDave