The Storms & Severe Weather Thread

CityDave

Abigail was an impressive storm intensifying as it moved towards our coasts before veering north and we were lucky only small parts of the UK were affected. Most impressive was the gusts, over 80mph gusts recorded on Barra and South Uist.

Yesterday in Bellshill, Righead Industrial Estate -

flood-1-1-589x442.jpg

It got a bit blustery in Inverness for a few hours but no major dramas, not a lot of rain. Glasgow so I have heard only had a few leaves rustled on the trees and a spot of rain through the afternoon and evening.

Met Office got this one spot on.

Next up ex-hurricane Kate who should start to make itself known through the weekend with torrential rain for a lot of the west side of the UK, then on Monday we get the gale force winds. Met Office predicting the storm will make its presence felt further south.

Top trolling by the met office. I wonder how many extra hits their website got just by giving a wet Thursday a name.

The names were decided before yesterday's storm appeared in the Atlantic. Abigail wasn't named yesterday.

Met Office named storms

Abigail

Barney

Clodach

Desmond

Eva

Frank

Gertrude

Henry

Imogen

Jake

Katie

Lawrence

Mary

Nigel

Orla

Phil

Rhonda

Steve

Tegan

Vernon

Wendy

Nigel!! :huh:

Edited by CityDave

The names were decided before yesterday's storm appeared in the Atlantic. Abigail wasn't named yesterday.

Met Office named storms

Abigail

Barney

Clodach

Desmond

Eva

Frank

Gertrude

Henry

Imogen

Jake

Katie

Lawrence

Mary

Nigel

Orla

Phil

Rhonda

Steve

Tegan

Vernon

Wendy

Nigel!! :huh:

I better start making plans.

I see there's been some thunder and lightning picked up on the detector in the Galashiels area and at the M74 around the Abington area over the last hour. The sea north of Northern Ireland looks quite lively just now for T&L.