The Storms & Severe Weather Thread

CityDave

7 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Eta: Seriously, how in the name of Christ can you have MSM reporters on the ground in Brechin (or anywhere for that matter) for over 24hrs who still don't know how to pronounce the town's name?  

Yesterday I heard Bre (as in 'meh') chin (as in 'chin'). 

And of course the obligatory For (as in 'for') far (as in 'far').  But with the emphasis on the wrong syllable. 

2 minutes ago, Gnash said:

And of course the obligatory For (as in 'for') far (as in 'far').  But with the emphasis on the wrong syllable. 

The first is just poor research.

The second is forgivable in as much that first syllables are rarely stressed more than the second outwith Scotland.

11 minutes ago, Gnash said:

Gordon Ramsay pronounces Brechin that way. 25 second video in the link:

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/video-scots-chef-gordon-ramsays-pronunciation-of-brechin-slammed-on-social-media-and-by-his-mum/

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Why does Edzell get it's Z pronounced btw? 

Because most folk aren't from Angus and follow normal rules of English pronunciation. 

I had absolutely no inkling it should be pronounced differently.

34 minutes ago, velo army said:

Because most folk aren't from Angus and follow normal rules of English pronunciation. 

But everywhere else in Scotland doesn't follow the 'normal rules of English pronunciation' when it comes to Zs in place names (cf. Culzean).  If anything, Angus is the only place in Scotland where the Z is used as one might expect*.

Just don't ask about the pronunciation of Trinity (hamlet on way in to Brechin from the north).

*Also the only area in Scotland where you'll find a placename beginning with Z.

Edited by Hedgecutter

56 minutes ago, velo army said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogh

Angus place names are far more likely to be Pictish and far less likely to have a gaelic yogh (z) in them.

As an aside, how do you pronounce Culzean?

Hope that helps.

Edited by Loonytoons
Hedge got there first with Culzean

20 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogh

Angus place names are far more likely to be Pictish and far less likely to have a gaelic yogh (z) in them.

As an aside, how do you pronounce Culzean?

Hope that helps.

Aye I appreciate the posts from yourself and @Hedgecutter. To be clear I was answering the query as to why people pronounce Edzell with a z, which is because most people aren't from Angus, the same way that people not from the North East won't pronounce Finzean or Portlethen the correct way. 

I wasn't saying how they should be pronounced, and having spent a huge part of my childhood at Culzean bay I pronounce it with a hard Z 😎.

8 minutes ago, velo army said:

Aye I appreciate the posts from yourself and @Hedgecutter. To be clear I was answering the query as to why people pronounce Edzell with a z, which is because most people aren't from Angus, the same way that people not from the North East won't pronounce Finzean or Portlethen the correct way. 

I wasn't saying how they should be pronounced, and having spent a huge part of my childhood at Culzean bay I pronounce it with a hard Z 😎.

Fair dooz (couldn't resist)

But Christ on a bike, Culzean with a hard "z"!!!

In all seriousness, why this isn't taught in "English" at high school is pretty poor fair, in the same way that Scots history is overlooked over UK history.

9 hours ago, velo army said:

having spent a huge part of my childhood at Culzean bay I pronounce it with a hard Z 😎.

200(2).gif.c18d742e5313d89bf079621b9b03c48c.gif

Eta: having read back, I suspect you misunderstood my post.  People in Angus do pronounce the Z in Edzell (& Zoar), making it one of the anomalies around Scotland where the Z is otherwise normally silent (and I was asking why Edzell was an exception). 

As much as you want Culzean to have a Z in its pronunciation, it doesn't.  It's firmly in the "that's how it's said, not just a local pronunciation" category, in there with the likes of Milngavie, Hawick & Findochty.

Referring to a post below though, Snine (for Sandend) is very much in the 'local name for it' category, in alongside Foggie (for Aberchirder, which fwiw has a silent c).

Edited by Hedgecutter