The Storms & Severe Weather Thread

CityDave

13 hours ago, velo army said:

Aye I appreciate the posts from yourself and @Hedgecutter. To be clear I was answering the query as to why people pronounce Edzell with a z, which is because most people aren't from Angus, the same way that people not from the North East won't pronounce Finzean or Portlethen the correct way. 

I wasn't saying how they should be pronounced, and having spent a huge part of my childhood at Culzean bay I pronounce it with a hard Z 😎.

Congratulations, you pronounce it like the American tourists do.

Didn’t see the follow up post to this. I’m still disturbed by the mere insinuation that a Scottish person could pronounce it this way.

Edited by eez-eh

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

Congratulations, you pronounce it like the American tourists do.

Didn’t see the follow up post to this. I’m still disturbed by the mere insinuation that a Scottish person could pronounce it this way.

How do you pronounce your username?

6 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Unbelievable footage on BBC website of the forest floor being lifted up by the wind in Stirlingshire.

Their first reaction to seeing a tree(s) being lifted into the air by the wind was to walk up and film it!

9 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

The new barriers were designed to provide a '1-in-200-years standard of defence', not stop flooding altogether (or prevent flooding for the next 200 years, as somebody's bound to interpret that as).

I think it's fair to to say that a >200mm in a single night dump of rain is indeed one of those 1-in-200 events, not a case of somebody doing their sums wrong.  As Mackie points out, levels on par with the current freak event haven't been seen for at least 50 years, and probably the 50 years before that.

I think I heard them saying on the TV that the flood defences were designed  for a river height of 3.8m but it got up to 5.1m. Either that was considerably greater than a 1 in 200 year event or the statistics used to determine the volume of rainfall were well off. 

Drainage to new developments has to be designed for the worst rainfall event in 200 years (100 years in England). Technically, this could happen this year, next year or at any time in the next 200 years. There's also an additional climate change allowance which has  been increasing over the years and varies depending on the requirements of each council area. It used to be 15 or 20% but 30 or 40% is more common nowadays. I believe SEPA requires 35% in the east and 55% in the west for projects under their jurisdiction, which this presumably would have been.

Obviously floor prevention is different but new development only needs to be designed to cope with a 1 in 30 year storm without flooding. For worse storms it is permissible to have flooding within surrounding areas as long as the water doesn't enter buildings, stop escape routes or flow off the site. It's all very theoretical though and highly dependent on maintenance so drains being blocked by leaves doesn't help.

TLDR - it was a hell of a lot of rain that was always going to cause flooding.

3 hours ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Unbelievable footage on BBC website of the forest floor being lifted up by the wind in Stirlingshire.

Its actually quite common amongst commercial plantings and to get that close is Darwin Awards territory 

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m beginning to think these floods are part of natural selection with a chance to get rid of the more stupid people in society.

I said this days ago. Folk that believe in a sky fairy likely think that said sky fairy wouldn't do this. Anyone who goes out in this and gets twatted by a falling tree. Well, shouldn't have gone out. Or get swept away, don't go near the biblical River that was just a stream. Morons. To a man/woman

11 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I said this days ago. Folk that believe in a sky fairy likely think that said sky fairy wouldn't do this. Anyone who goes out in this and gets twatted by a falling tree. Well, shouldn't have gone out. Or get swept away, don't go near the biblical River that was just a stream. Morons. To a man/woman

Said sky fairy has history of doing this sort of thing.

12 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Said sky fairy has history of doing this sort of thing.

Maybe they think some Moses sorta boy will come down and sort it out. He was pretty decent at flood defence. 

He'd maybe be a decent centre half. 

Edited by 10menwent2mow

On 20/10/2023 at 23:45, Hedgecutter said:

But everywhere else in Scotland doesn't follow the 'normal rules of English pronunciation' when it comes to Zs in place names (cf. Culzean).  If anything, Angus is the only place in Scotland where the Z is used as one might expect*.

Just don't ask about the pronunciation of Trinity (hamlet on way in to Brechin from the north).

*Also the only area in Scotland where you'll find a placename beginning with Z.

mmm, Lenzie is pronounced "len-zeh", so it's not just an Angus thing

46 minutes ago, Peil said:

mmm, Lenzie is pronounced "len-zeh", so it's not just an Angus thing

That one did indeed come to my mind earlier.  Turns out that the Z in Lenzie is only a relatively recent thing. Originally it was pronounced with a yogh.