Jim Murphy

ForzaDundee

Except in your signature.

Are you suggesting that Alex Salmond was winding people up when he released the Scottish Government's consultation paper on the referendum question? Is he wrong?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well strictly speaking a colony, the phrase you used, is a territory ruled by another territory. Which is exactly what Scotland is.

As for Salmond's words that is politicking, pure and simple. We are not 'oppressed' the way say Catalonia was under Franco therefore don't need 'liberated', its a true statement. My question is why you think it is an appropriate signature, given its intent in that context is merely to taunt 45% of the electorate, which you apparently voted with. And also would you consider changing it now this has been highlighted?

I'm not standing for elected office, therefore what I'm spouting is irrelevant. I am also quite offended that a narcissist like that thinks its appropriate to taunt 45% of the electorate in his signature, then will be going to those same people pleading for their vote.

Well strictly speaking a colony, the phrase you used, is a territory ruled by another territory. Which is exactly what Scotland is.

No, that's not the definition of a colony. A colony is not "a territory ruled by another territory". It has a specific meaning defined by the UN in relation to non-self-governing territories, of which Scotland is not recognised as being one. Besides which, Scotland is not ruled by "another territory". It is a participant nation in a Union with democratic representation in the national legislature of the United Kingdom and significant domestic self-governance.

As for Salmond's words that is politicking, pure and simple. We are not 'oppressed' the way say Catalonia was under Franco therefore don't need 'liberated', its a true statement.

He didn't mention Catalonia. Besides which, if the words he uttered are true, how can they possibly be controversial when quoted in a signature?

My question is why you think it is an appropriate signature, given its intent in that context is merely to taunt 45% of the electorate, which you apparently voted with. And also would you consider changing it now this has been highlighted?

I think there's nothing wrong with my signature and have no intention of changing it. You haven't actually explained how quoting Alex Salmond saying a thing that you literally just admitted is "a true statement" is controversial or trolling material.

I'm not standing for elected office, therefore what I'm spouting is irrelevant. I am also quite offended that a narcissist like that thinks its appropriate to taunt 45% of the electorate in his signature, then will be going to those same people pleading for their vote.

I can't say I feel taunted and if the electorate don't like him they don't have to vote for him (let's face it, most of them won't - no offence intended)

I've read posts of his before, and think he is the very definition of an arsehole, so when I saw him posting just as I signed up thought why not pull him up about that.

You don't give yourself any chance to gain credibility if your first few posts include personal attacks on other posters (whether you've been reading the forum for a while or not).

In politics and history, a colony is a territory under the immediate political control of a state, distinct from the home territory of the sovereign.

that's the definition of a colony. Scotland meets that definition perfectly.

I mentioned Catalonia not Salmond.

Its the context and reason that you use it that is offensive, your attempted explanation was laughably pathetic. You know it and I do too, you're intellectually dishonest and an arsehole attempting to wind up yes voters.

I can't say I feel taunted and if the electorate don't like him they don't have to vote for him (let's face it, most of them won't - no offence intended)

I do, as that is the intention of it, why else would you have that as your sig? Did you read his 'explanation'?

In politics and history, a colony is a territory under the immediate political control of a state, distinct from the home territory of the sovereign.

that's the definition of a colony. Scotland meets that definition perfectly.

I mentioned Catalonia not Salmond.

Its the context and reason that you use it that is offensive, your attempted explanation was laughably pathetic. You know it and I do too, you're intellectually dishonest and an arsehole attempting to wind up yes voters.

Scotland signed up to this union!

We also send elected representatives to the UK parliament. Under no sensible definition is Scotland a colony.

Scottish nobles were bribed into signing up to it you mean, and we send a token number of elected representatives. For all intents and purposes we are a colony. Look at the outrage that Scottish MP's might actually have a say in UK govt for the first time ever. I admit I might be being a wee bit hyperbolic by calling it a straight out colony, but that is basically what Scotland, N Ireland and Wales are.

Who do you think said this -

English MPs control all the money which Scotland receives - is that 'fair'? England constitutes 85% of the UK's population and 87% of its wealth. It was English MPs who agreed to devolve some powers to Scotland in a Westminster Act of Parliament; but year by year controls over public spending levels for all of the UK continue to be exercised by Westminster. And power devolved is power retained, not ceded.

While the current Tory cry of "English votes on English laws" has a simplistic appeal, it is in reality unworkable, undesirable and dangerous. It would create a two-tier system of "ins and outs" that would be so complex and confusing as to be unworkable.

How is it possible, for example, to distinguish between English "bits" of legislation and UK "bits"? It isn't. The territorial extent of the clause in a bill - or part of a clause - cannot be conclusive, as so many "England only" decisions have plain implications for Scotland as well.

Hence, Vernon Bogdanor, perhaps the foremost constitutional expert in Britain, has claimed that the Tory proposals would "destroy the principle of collective responsibility, according to which government must stand or fall as a whole, commanding a majority on all the issues that come before Parliament, not just a selection. It is difficult to see how Britain could be effectively governed in such circumstances."

Moreover, it is difficult to see how the UK could remain united. The outcome of a break-up of the union would be calamitous.

The United Kingdom - Great Britain and Northern Ireland - is a union which works to the equal benefit of all four nations of the union. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Historically, England called the shots to achieve a union because the union was seen as a way, among others things, of amplifying England's power worldwide.

And the reverse would certainly be true. A broken-up United Kingdom would not be in the interests of Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, but especially not England.

Our voting power in the European Union would diminish. We'd slip down in the world league GDP tables. Our case for staying in the G8 would diminish and there could easily be an assault on our permanent seat in the UN Security Council.

“The English are potentially very aggressive, very violent and of course we have used this propensity to violence to subjugate Ireland, Wales and Scotland. Then we used it in Europe and with our empire. You have within the UK three small nations under the cosh of the English.”

Scottish nobles were bribed into signing up to it you mean, and we send a token number of elected representatives. For all intents and purposes we are a colony. Look at the outrage that Scottish MP's might actually have a say in UK govt for the first time ever. I admit I might be being a wee bit hyperbolic by calling it a straight out colony, but that is basically what Scotland, N Ireland and Wales are.

I teach history - and so understand perfectly well the dodgy circumstances relating to the Act of Union being signed.

Token number of representatives? Should it not be based on population size?

The outrage that Scotland will have a say on who runs the UK is ironic, and those down south frothing at the mouth deserve to be ridiculed. But neither of those things make Scotland, or any other part of the UK a colony.

Who do you think said this -

Quite possibly you, 30 posts in an 1 1/2 hours after signing up. The majority of these post are taking offense at a signature to such an extent as to call the person an arsehole.

Maybe time to sign off.......................permanently?

Quite possibly you, 30 posts in an 1 1/2 hours after signing up. The majority of these post are taking offense at a signature to such an extent as to call the person an arsehole.

Maybe time to sign off.......................permanently?

I don't think the majority have been related to that, and tbf he is an arsehole.

Archived