the ECW Appreciation thread

Chris McDonald

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The theme music was great.

Only seen the original stuff in youtube clips and lookbacks, some of the matches were brutal but good wrestling involved aswell.

One night stand was a cracking ppv imo. the jericho, lance storm match was some great technical stuff.

Also the RVD/Cena title match the following year was one of the best crowds i've seen at a match.

ECW is another thing that gets better the longer it's been since most people saw it, and the poorer the current product gets.

I loved watching at the time, namely because I was a teenager and it was cool to see people beat the shit out each other with barbed wire. Watched a fair bit back on the Network and it hasn't aged well for me.

I remember going to the last WCW UK show in Manchester and a guy trying to buy my BWO t shirt off me in the queue for the snackbar! Haha loved ECW, mainly as was said above that I was in my teens and it was so different to the norm at that time.

ECW is another thing that gets better the longer it's been since most people saw it, and the poorer the current product gets.

Completely disagree, it has aged horribly imo. Not helped by dross like Dreamer, Balls Mahoney or Shane Douglas turning up to tribute show after tribute show looking horrendous and having dire matches.

Quitongo's Left Peg, on 25 Nov 2014 - 16:37, said:

"Completely disagree, it has aged horribly imo. Not helped by dross like Dreamer, Balls Mahoney or Shane Douglas turning up to tribute show after tribute show looking horrendous and having dire matches."

That's what he said. Read his whole post.

I remember a match once where a guy did somthing like a springboard cross body off two ropes, and was so chufed with it, he stopped the matched and started dancing to la vida loca. Quality.

Completely disagree, it has aged horribly imo. Not helped by dross like Dreamer, Balls Mahoney or Shane Douglas turning up to tribute show after tribute show looking horrendous and having dire matches.

Dreamer's House of Hardcore promotion had put on some really good shows, in fairness, and he's turned it into much more than an ECW tribute. The iPPV from last week, House of Hardcore 7, is definitely worth checking out.

As for ECW, I was a huge fan. And most of it has aged well for me(Heatwave '98 is probably my favourite pay-per-view of all time), but a few of the shows from circa 1996 do feel a bit weak now, with some of them having little in the way of quality wrestling as they went all out with the hardcore stuff that was setting them apart. You can imagine at the time it seemed wildly different enough to still carry a lot of excitement, but these days watching match after match of grungy-looking guys brawling into the crowd and using 47 steel chairs is a bit meh. That's just a handful of shows, though, so I am being a bit hypercritical.

Archived