Queens v Rangers

Getting tired of media calling on the compliance officer over Dowie incident don't recall them talking much of Mcculloch's incident against Baird!

:lol:

Oh poor you. The player clearly stamps on Black while he is lying on the ground. It was a straight Red and most people have accepted this. You should be thankful the referee missed it!

ETA .... McCulloch was booked. Away and look at the rules regarding the compliance officer and the incidents he looks at :rolleyes:

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This.

The revisionism on Nicky Clark from some on here since he had the temerity to join Rangers is just a wee bit sad. Nicky was a little wasteful when he first started playing up front but quickly grew into the role. I don't care how much better than the opposition we were that season, 41 goals is still an incredible feat. As the season went on Clark became more and more assured in the position. His pace and movement caused problems to more than second division teams and he was an absolutely unanimous pick for the division's player of the season.

In fact when he did get a run of games at Rangers early on this season whilst Boyd and Daly were unavailable he did pretty well, scored a few goals and most Rangers fans on here appear to still think he should be starting and isn't because McCoist appears clueless in picking his best eleven. He did the square root of sod all on Friday but then so did the rest of them. He wasn't unique in that respect.

Clark was undoubtedly our best striker at the time no matter what Charlie thought. He and Reilly were a great pairing with Lyle as cover. Reilly is now a couple of years older and continuing his development very nicely. He has a real chance in the game. He may very well go on to be a better striker than Clark and might make it further in the game. I'd agree that Reilly is probably a better player than Clark was at the same age but he wasn't a better player on a straight choice between the two at the time. Not for me anyway. I'd still take Nicky back in a heartbeat too.

Great post.

:lol:

Oh poor you. The player clearly stamps on Black while he is lying on the ground. It was a straight Red and most people have accepted this. You should be thankful the referee missed it!

ETA .... McCulloch was booked. Away and look at the rules regarding the compliance officer and the incidents he looks at :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone is denying there was a stamp. The point is that those complaining about that are forgetting about the McCulloch and even the McGregor(sp?) incident. The McGregor one is the one that's gave me the most seethe, purely down to some of the sh£te I've read and heard*; "If Dowie receives a red at the time does that change the outcome of the game?" Some folk clearly forgetting that Rangers should have been down to 10 men at that point anyway.

Dowie really should receive a ban for the stamp. The rules will prevent both McCulloch and McGregor receiving the further deserved punishment, which is pretty sh£t but hey ho. Although Boyd got away with a blatant headbutt in the past so I imagine even if McCulloch hadn't been booked he'd have gotten away with it anyway.

* Not on here I should say.

This.

The revisionism on Nicky Clark from some on here since he had the temerity to join Rangers is just a wee bit sad. Nicky was a little wasteful when he first started playing up front but quickly grew into the role. I don't care how much better than the opposition we were that season, 41 goals is still an incredible feat. As the season went on Clark became more and more assured in the position. His pace and movement caused problems to more than second division teams and he was an absolutely unanimous pick for the division's player of the season.

In fact when he did get a run of games at Rangers early on this season whilst Boyd and Daly were unavailable he did pretty well, scored a few goals and most Rangers fans on here appear to still think he should be starting and isn't because McCoist appears clueless in picking his best eleven. He did the square root of sod all on Friday but then so did the rest of them. He wasn't unique in that respect.

Clark was undoubtedly our best striker at the time no matter what Charlie thought. He and Reilly were a great pairing with Lyle as cover. Reilly is now a couple of years older and continuing his development very nicely. He has a real chance in the game. He may very well go on to be a better striker than Clark and might make it further in the game. I'd agree that Reilly is probably a better player than Clark was at the same age but he wasn't a better player on a straight choice between the two at the time. Not for me anyway. I'd still take Nicky back in a heartbeat too.

Little to disagree with there, but by the same token, little to disagree with in the assertion that in his entire career - and for whatever reasons - Clark's star has only shone pretty fleetingly, albeit very brightly at the time.

As for taking him back in a heartbeat, I suppose I'd go for it too, if he was additional, a replacement for Baird, or maybe even for an ageing Lyle. Hand on heart though, I wouldn't dream of swapping him for Reilly.

Obviously, Clark was going to move on after that season anyway and if Rangers were keen, then that's probably where he was inevitably heading. I'm still resentful of his Dad's unprofessional part in it all though.

Clark's move was worse for him than it was for us. Joining a club that has shown no inclination towards developing young players was always a very unambitious decision. It's stalled his career and he remains a one-season wonder with unfulfilled potential.

Reilly stayed loyal to the club that gave him his chance in the game and it has proven to be mutually beneficial.

Bad decision making by Sandy both as our Assistant Manager, and as a father.

Clark's move was worse for him than it was for us. Joining a club that has shown no inclination towards developing young players was always a very unambitious decision. It's stalled his career and he remains a one-season wonder with unfulfilled potential.

Reilly stayed loyal to the club that gave him his chance in the game and it has proven to be mutually beneficial.

Reilly didn't "stay loyal", he wasn't offered the same chance. That's comparing apples and bananas. I'd be surprised if any footballer at our level would have been brave enough to turn down such an offer from Rangers.

Reilly didn't "stay loyal", he wasn't offered the same chance. That's comparing apples and bananas. I'd be surprised if any footballer at our level would have been brave enough to turn down such an offer from Rangers.

You're sadly probably right. That still doesn't make it a good decision though.

Thankfully some of our youngsters are wising up and realising that a move to either of the OF isn't the pinnacle of footballing achievement it's made out to be.

I don't think anyone is denying there was a stamp. The point is that those complaining about that are forgetting about the McCulloch and even the McGregor(sp?) incident. The McGregor one is the one that's gave me the most seethe, purely down to some of the sh£te I've read and heard*; "If Dowie receives a red at the time does that change the outcome of the game?" Some folk clearly forgetting that Rangers should have been down to 10 men at that point anyway.

Dowie really should receive a ban for the stamp. The rules will prevent both McCulloch and McGregor receiving the further deserved punishment, which is pretty sh£t but hey ho. Although Boyd got away with a blatant headbutt in the past so I imagine even if McCulloch hadn't been booked he'd have gotten away with it anyway.

* Not on here I should say.

The rule states that the defender has to deny a CLEAR goal scoring opportunity. McGregor didn't do that. He slipped and handled a cross that was fired in. There was no clear goal scoring opportunity. If he hadn't handled the ball your player may or may not have controlled it. He may or may not have had an opportunity. Aird might have got back to cover before the ball was under control. There is certainly enough doubt there to say that a booking was the right call.

Just for the record and i know you are not implying it but i doubt a Red card would have made any difference to the outcome of the game and i have absolutely no complaints about the result.

I was just a little pissed off at a poster implying Queens are being hard done by here. That is not the case. One complaint Queens can have and i have said this a few times about Rangers retrospective cards. If the game hadn't been televised i doubt Dowie would be facing a ban

You're sadly probably right. That still doesn't make it a good decision though.

Thankfully some of our youngsters are wising up and realising that a move to either of the OF isn't the pinnacle of footballing achievement it's made out to be.

You are basing this conclusion on what? Which of our youngsters has turned down a move to one of the OF in favour of staying here or moving elsewhere?

You are basing this conclusion on what? Which of our youngsters has turned down a move to one of the OF in favour of staying here or moving elsewhere?

Sorry that post was worded poorly. That was a more general point about young Scottish players, not Queens players specifically.

The rule states that the defender has to deny a CLEAR goal scoring opportunity. McGregor didn't do that. He slipped and handled a cross that was fired in. There was no clear goal scoring opportunity. If he hadn't handled the ball your player may or may not have controlled it. He may or may not have had an opportunity. Aird might have got back to cover before the ball was under control. There is certainly enough doubt there to say that a booking was the right call.

Just for the record and i know you are not implying it but i doubt a Red card would have made any difference to the outcome of the game and i have absolutely no complaints about the result.

I was just a little pissed off at a poster implying Queens are being hard done by here. That is not the case. One complaint Queens can have and i have said this a few times about Rangers retrospective cards. If the game hadn't been televised i doubt Dowie would be facing a ban

I am more annoyed that McGregor did not get a further yellow card (and a red) for his strangle hold on Russell, and a few other dubious challenges.

And step forward Charlie with his comments of I told you so.

Wouldn't want to disappoint so, "I told you so" and a lot of what I posted in the past is turning out to be true, There are some very interesting comments and opinions on here.

Well done on a marvellous display and performance on Friday night and great to see Danny and Gavin doing so well. I always knew they had it in them.

Wouldn't want to disappoint so, "I told you so" and a lot of what I posted in the past is turning out to be true, There are some very interesting comments and opinions on here.

Well done on a marvellous display and performance on Friday night and great to see Danny and Gavin doing so well. I always knew they had it in them.

Really? Like what?

Look back and check for yourself, you should be able to find them as with a lot of my posts your own sarcastic remarks and reply's are right after them.

Im nothing if not consistent ;)

Seriously though, Im not going to go looking back through your posts. I am, though, curious as to what you think has come true. My recollection of your posts was that Clark only got a game ahead of Reilly because of his Dad. What else did I miss?

Im nothing if not consistent ;)

Seriously though, Im not going to go looking back through your posts. I am, though, curious as to what you think has come true. My recollection of your posts was that Clark only got a game ahead of Reilly because of his Dad. What else did I miss?

I assume he's taking McCoist's stubborn insistence on not picking NIcky ahead of his chosen Boyd, Miller, Daly combination as evidence that NIcky wasn't good enough in the first place.

I never understood the fixation around Clark only getting a game because of his dad (not just from Charlie). He more than proved his quality whilst here and pretty much without exception Allan Johnston played two strikers every game. On the occasions that Reilly wasn't the other one (slightly under half of them) the argument should undoubtedly have been whether he should have played ahead of Lyle, not Clark. There's a good argument that it was right not to start Gavin every single game when he was still a teenager anyway.

Clark had a cracking season with us. 40 odd goals at any level is a good return. I always preferred Reilly as well though. Both players aren't the finished article but I believe Reilly will have the more successful career. 40 goals is superb but I would love to know how many goalscoring opportunities he had that season. To be more to the point, I reckon Reilly is the more clinical finisher. I would love to see a stat of both players compared. Chances had and goals scored. In the second division Clark had chance after chance and was inevitably going to score at least one of them. In a tougher league he wouldn't/won't get as many chances.

I don't think Clark would be on as many goals as Reilly this season if he was to switch places. That's complete opinion though and there's no way of finding out.

I certainly wouldn't swap Reilly for Clark though. It's fair to say Reilly has established himself as a Championship level striker now; something Clark has yet to do.

Clark had a cracking season with us. 40 odd goals at any level is a good return. I always preferred Reilly as well though. Both players aren't the finished article but I believe Reilly will have the more successful career. 40 goals is superb but I would love to know how many goalscoring opportunities he had that season. To be more to the point, I reckon Reilly is the more clinical finisher. I would love to see a stat of both players compared. Chances had and goals scored. In the second division Clark had chance after chance and was inevitably going to score at least one of them. In a tougher league he wouldn't/won't get as many chances.

I don't think Clark would be on as many goals as Reilly this season if he was to switch places. That's complete opinion though and there's no way of finding out.

I certainly wouldn't swap Reilly for Clark though. It's fair to say Reilly has established himself as a Championship level striker now; something Clark has yet to do.

Just this ^^^

Archived