Question Time

Elixir

2 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

Why would you go in to the question time audience if all you want to say is that you're not bothered? !

Also, did the SNP promise to scrap council tax in their manifesto?

They did, in 2007. They were unable to do so as they were a minority government & the other parties refused to back the proposals they put forward at the time.

As far as I recall, it hasn't been a manifesto commitment since.

Just now, lichtgilphead said:

They did, in 2007. They were unable to do so as they were a minority government & the other parties refused to back the proposals they put forward at the time.

In 2011 they promised to "consult" re scrapping it. In 2016, they only committed to freezing it until 2017, and reducing the bill for the lowest-earning households.

They probably still have it as an overall aspiration, but it's no longer front and centre. I believe partly because Westminster said that if Scotland no longer has "council tax", people would no longer receive "council tax" benefit. 

A bit like the Police Scotland VAT farce, but directly affecting the people on the street.

Ah OK. A surprisingly loud applause for Kez having a dig at the SNP from a Sunderland audience.

Do they hate the SNP in Sunderland?