Question Time

Elixir

His surname is Hannan. Dan speaks several European languages fluently and his family home is in Brussels. He could lose a lot of income as a result of Brexit and deserves credit for taking a principled stance,

What a fucking hero.

His surname is Hannan. Dan speaks several European languages fluently and his family home is in Brussels. He could lose a lot of income as a result of Brexit and deserves credit for taking a principled stance,

My phone autocorrects it every time, and in all honesty I don't think he deserves to have his name spelled correctly. Hurrah for him for seeking the supremacy of the British Union against non-British Union, though, despite the hit his fortune could possibly take. God bless him.

Antlion, you are an absolute wreck of a poster.Has This Week started yet?A good auld Scots Tory's dulcet tones and then I'll call it a night.

Effie Deans-type post^. The BritNat rage is palpable.

Edited by Antlion

"Could"? Does that really equally to "won't"? How much is "a lot"? 1/10th of his income? 1/100th? How much?

Hannan is honest, unlike the lackeys on the EU payroll - Mandelson, Kinnocks, Patten etc. For some strange reason, he was very defensive when debating the dreadful Ken Clarke on the BBC.

Agreeing with someone on an issue doesn't make them honest. You might not even agree with them for the same reasons.

My phone autocorrects it every time, and in all honesty I don't think he deserves to have his name spelled correctly. Hurrah for him for seeking the supremacy of the British Union against non-British Union, though, despite the hit his fortune could possibly take. God bless him.

Your are battling for EU supremacy over Scotland's laws, courts, borders, fishing stocks and economy. You are still a European Supra-nationalist rather than a genuine Scottish nationalist. Hannan, unlike the Eurocrats in their EU tax haven, is not a rich man.

Your are battling for EU supremacy over Scotland's laws, courts, borders, fishing stocks and economy. You are still a European Supra-nationalist rather than a genuine Scottish nationalist. Hannan, unlike the Eurocrats in their EU tax haven, is not a rich man.

And you're a British nationalist, as you are fighting for the empowerment and supremacy of the British nation state. Of course, if you want to prove that the UK leaving the EU will return sovereignty to Scotland (or even control over borders, agriculture, fishing stocks and the economy), do please provide some evidence that that will be the case.

If you can't, and Brexit will instead lead to these things being centralised in/returned to Westminster, then you are a British nationalist, not a "proper" Scottish nationalist (which I'm not entirely sure I'd want to be, depending on what it means.)

Edited by Antlion

I have known Hannan, from when he was a young journalist, for over 20 years. I disagree with him on many issues but he is a decent and honest man.

Fair enough. He comes across as an apologist, an idealogue and an elitist scum-b*****d. I suppose the question is in what one is honest to. A belief, the truth or one's pals.

So, what is a genuine scottish nationalist?

So, what is a genuine scottish nationalist?

A "genuine Scottish nationalist" cannot possibly be as cool sounding as a "European supra-nationalist". I'm assuming it's more akin to being an isolationist: someone who wants Scotland out of all political unions and - extraordinarily - thinks jumping on the British nationalist bandwagon and trying to further empower Westminster's sovereignty will somehow help achieve that ...

A "genuine Scottish nationalist" cannot possibly be as cool sounding as a "European supra-nationalist". I'm assuming it's more akin to being an isolationist: someone who wants Scotland out of all political unions and - extraordinarily - thinks jumping on the British nationalist bandwagon and trying to further empower Westminster's sovereignty will somehow help achieve that ...

The 2014 vote was lost. Indyref2 is several years away at least. We have a chance to get out of the corrupt and undemocratic EU that would impose even more laws on an independent Scottish Parliament. 

The 2014 vote was lost. Indyref2 is several years away at least. We have a chance to get out of the corrupt and undemocratic EU that would impose even more laws on an independent Scottish Parliament.

No, we - Scottish voters - don't (and if you mean "we" as in British voters who do not recognise Scotland's voice, then, to quote you, "you're not a genuine Scottish nationalist"). It's a decision for the unitary British state, of which we make up 10%, and is thus predicated on strengthening the corrupt and undemocratic UK. Brexit would simply allow it to impose even more laws on a dependent Scotland."That's why I'll be saying no thanks."