Question Time

Elixir

Just now, McSpreader said:

It's about the people not the self-serving, out of touch so called representatives who fail their electorate .

Last time I looked the people voted No.

And then voted for a pro-Indy majority which pledged a second referendum on Scotland becoming a nation state if current circumstances prevailed.

2 minutes ago, Antlion said:

And then voted for a pro-Indy majority which pledged a second referendum on Scotland becoming a nation state if current circumstances prevailed.

No....... they voted for a party they thought would extract the best deal from the UK Government to the benefit, betterment and material improvement of the Scottish people and this simply hasn't happened.

They didnt vote for Indy they voted for the Party they thought would best battle Westminster....Boy , were they wrong. The SNP have been f*cking pathetic at securing any benefits for Scotland. Basically, they are shite!

5 minutes ago, McSpreader said:

No....... they voted for a party they thought would extract the best deal from the UK Government to the benefit, betterment and material improvement of the Scottish people and this simply hasn't happened.

They didnt vote for Indy they voted for the Party they thought would best battle Westminster....Boy , were they wrong. The SNP have been f*cking pathetic at securing any benefits for Scotland. Basically, they are shite!

Independence wasn't on offer - a referendum was, from two parties. Together, those parties won a majority of seats. The servile anti-statehood parties form a minority in Holyrood.

I'm not sure any party had in its manifesto a pledge to "battle Westminster" - but the fact that you think devolved administrations need to battle the larger sovereign parliament of the UK (and extract things from it, as it is presumably harmful at the moment) rather shows how horrific this constitutional setup is. You make it sound downright colonial.

Edited by Antlion

3 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Independence wasn't on offer - a referendum was, from two parties. Together, those parties won a majority of seats. The servile anti-statehood parties form a minority in Holyrood.

I'm not sure any party had in its manifesto a pledge to "battle Westminster" - but the fact that you think devolved administrations need to battle the larger sovereign parliament of the UK (and extract things from it, as it is presumably harmful at the moment) rather shows how horrific this constitutional setup is. You make it sound downright colonial.

Tell me another nation state or country where the seat of Govt and it's hinterland does not garner the bulk of resources, investment and influence.

If Scotland were independent we would all be railing against the liberal elite in Holyrood with their noses in the trough, mismanaging our resources whilst the outlying regions of Scotland would be suffering from a lack of investment and status.

Tell me another nation state or country where the seat of Govt and it's hinterland does not garner the bulk of resources, investment and influence.
If Scotland were independent we would all be railing against the liberal elite in Holyrood with their noses in the trough, mismanaging our resources whilst the outlying regions of Scotland would be suffering from a lack of investment and status.

And we could do something about it

2 minutes ago, McSpreader said:

And so you admit Scotland is an "outlying region" of the UK nation state. What a dreadful "union". You wouldn't accept such a situation for the UK, so it ought not to be tolerated for Scotland.

3 minutes ago, Antlion said:

And so you admit Scotland is an "outlying region" of the UK nation state. What a dreadful "union". You wouldn't accept such a situation for the UK, so it ought not to be tolerated for Scotland.

Ive no problem with Scotland being a region of the UK. It's good enough for Wales and Northern Ireland and England is dissected into many regions. I think the whole UK benefits from this arrangement.

It doesn't stop Scotland, England , Wales and NI from being countries each with distinct identities and cultures. I don't see what yer problem with the UK is tbh.

Btw I cant compare Scotland with UK as you did when you said I wouldn't accept such a situation for the UK. That doesn't make sense to me . They are different entities.

8 minutes ago, McSpreader said:

Ive no problem with Scotland being a region of the UK. It's good enough for Wales and Northern Ireland and England is dissected into many regions. I think the whole UK benefits from this arrangement.

It doesn't stop Scotland, England , Wales and NI from being countries each with distinct identities and cultures. I don't see what yer problem with the UK is tbh.

Btw I cant compare Scotland with UK as you did when you said I wouldn't accept such a situation for the UK. That doesn't make sense to me . They are different entities.

I don't see what your problem was with the EU, but there you go. It never stopped the UK (or any other member state) being countries with distinct identities and cultures, yet you couldn't stomach it.

As I've said many times before. It was the direction of travel towards an EU Empire. The move towards an EU state is as scary as it is doomed to failure. 

As said before, I love Europe and it's amazing cultural diversity. I simply don't feel the need to support a political entity that stops the UK from achieving it's full potential.