Rewilding Scotland

Reintroduction of native species to Scotland  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe not quite the right thread but I was reading about Galloway potentially being awarded National Park status and was curious as to what that actually means. Does that protect it from certain types of developments? Will more funding be provided/more jobs created to look after it? Genuinely no idea.

On 16/05/2023 at 11:14, jamamafegan said:

Late last year I entered the world of YouTube and created a channel to discuss rewilding topics. I've uploaded 3 videos so far, the first one is below and serves as an introductory video briefly explaining the dire state of affairs ecologically in Scotland. Feedback on the vids has been great so far and I'm planning to release more in future covering various issues. If the good people of P&B would like to keep up to date with my uploads and help the channel grow then please consider subscribing and sharing the vids with your fellow rewilding curious friends and family. 

I have to be honest and say you are the antithesis of what I expect P&B's posters to look like.

Well done.

8 hours ago, RawB93 said:

Maybe not quite the right thread but I was reading about Galloway potentially being awarded National Park status and was curious as to what that actually means. Does that protect it from certain types of developments? Will more funding be provided/more jobs created to look after it? Genuinely no idea.

I have to be honest and say you are the antithesis of what I expect P&B's posters to look like.

Well done.

Almost certainly not (not jobs for locals anyway) 

Its sad how bad the diversity in nature is in UK, from massive over population in the south of England and still they talk about building more homes on more unused land. To Scotland and miles and miles of empty hills and still nowhere near enough variety of trees and plants being planted. The stuff posted on here about Salmon farms is shocking, I didnt realise it had got that bad.

They really need every council in UK to focus on this and improve

Not Scotland, but nearby. I’m getting quite irritated by the number of grey squirrels that dig up the garden. I’ve heard there’s some sort of illicit underground re-wilding network on the go. Will they be able to sort out a pine marten for me?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Scottish Parliament passed a bill yesterday officially titled the Wildlife Management & Muirburn Bill, which is effectively a grouse moor licensing scheme. Licences now required to allow grouse shooting, muirburn, the use of wildlife traps and snares are fully banned, while the SPCA now has greater investigatory powers. It may not go far enough, but it's a positive step.

6 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Scottish Parliament passed a bill yesterday officially titled the Wildlife Management & Muirburn Bill, which is effectively a grouse moor licensing scheme. Licences now required to allow grouse shooting, muirburn, the use of wildlife traps and snares are fully banned, while the SPCA now has greater investigatory powers. It may not go far enough, but it's a positive step.

I was sat in the parliament gallery watching history being made. A glorious moment. Finally some proper legislation for an industry which has enjoyed being regulation free for far too long. Going to be interesting to see how the shooting estates manage to comply with the legislation (not very well I suspect).

• 2 months later...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/jun/17/beavers-create-habitat-suitable-for-water-voles-in-scottish-rainforest

"Beavers reintroduced to a Scottish rainforest 15 years ago may have created the right habitat for the area’s endangered water voles to flourish.

The voles, once abundant in Scotland but now one of the country’s most threatened native animals, could thrive in the “complex boundary between water and land” that beavers have created in Knapdale in Argyll and Bute since their reintroduction there in 2009.

The beavers’ dam-building in the forest has led to the creation of a new habitat along the banks of watercourses, where water voles can dig burrows hidden from predatory mink."