Scotland v Qatar

Lyle Lanley

Should play all our friendlies against the Spanish regionals. Basque Country, Catalunya, Gallicia, etc. have half decent squads and we get the friendly run out without any of them harming our co-efficient. Or nonsense like the Danish League XI

Switzerland play next to f**k all friendlies so their co-efficient remains high. We should be doing the same.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should play all our friendlies against the Spanish regionals. Basque Country, Catalunya, Gallicia, etc. have half decent squads and we get the friendly run out without any of them harming our co-efficient. Or nonsense like the Danish League XI

Switzerland play next to f**k all friendlies so their co-efficient remains high. We should be doing the same.

They played 4 friendlies in 2014, Scotland played 3. Your co-efficient idea is rambling pish!

Check it out in the year before any draws are made and it's quite different. Take away the warm up friendlies before the World Cup as well

World Cup warm up friendlies (of which there was one) don't count as friendlies? :huh:

So your argument rests on the fact that they played 1 less friendly than Scotland in 2013?!

They've had a friendly this year, and are playing another on the same day we play ours.

Yer talking pish I'm afraid. Their co-efficient was so high because they lost only 1 game in 18 prior to the 2014 WC. 8 of those 18 games were friendlies.

World Cup warm up friendlies (of which there was one) don't count as friendlies? :huh:

So your argument rests on the fact that they played 1 less friendly than Scotland in 2013?!

They've had a friendly this year, and are playing another on the same day we play ours.

Yer talking pish I'm afraid. Their co-efficient was so high because they lost only 1 game in 18 prior to the 2014 WC. 8 of those 18 games were friendlies.

No. The year before anything to do with rankings the Swiss have shyed away from friendlies for the most part. By the time they were at the World Cup the draw had taken place. Therefore their friendlies would have had no impact on their seeding. I'm not saying that it just not playing friendlies alone that got them higher in the rankings, their competitive fixtures is the main part, but they do try and cap their friendlies when they know it could affect their seeding. They've admitted this.

Sat 14/11/09 FRI Switzerland 0 - 1 Norway View events More info Wed 03/03/10 FRI Switzerland 1 - 3 Uruguay View events More info Tue 01/06/10 FRI Switzerland 0 - 1 Costa Rica View events More info Sat 05/06/10 FRI Switzerland 1 - 1 Italy View events More info Wed 11/08/10 FRI Austria 0 - 1 Switzerland View events More info Fri 03/09/10 FRI Switzerland 0 - 0 Australia More info Wed 17/11/10 FRI Switzerland 2 - 2 Ukraine View events More info Wed 09/02/11 FRI Malta 0 - 0 Switzerland More info Wed 10/08/11 FRI Liechtenstein 1 - 2 Switzerland View events More info Fri 11/11/11 FRI Netherlands 0 - 0 Switzerland More info Tue 15/11/11 FRI Luxembourg 0 - 1 Switzerland View events More info Wed 29/02/12 FRI Switzerland 1 - 3 Argentina View events More info Sat 26/05/12 FRI Switzerland 5 - 3 Germany View events More info Wed 30/05/12 FRI Switzerland 0 - 1 Romania View events More info Wed 15/08/12 FRI Croatia 2 - 4 Switzerland View events More info Wed 14/11/12 FRI Tunisia 1 - 2 Switzerland View events More info Wed 06/02/13 FRI Greece 0 - 0 Switzerland More info Wed 14/08/13 FRI Switzerland 1 - 0 Brazil View events More info

18 friendlies played in the 4 years (FIFA rankings have 4yr cycle) prior to World Cup seeding (Oct 13). In the same timeframe Scotland played 17 friendlies.

If that's avoiding friendlies, they're doing a really shite job of it.

Now, for the third time, look at the friendlies they played in the year before the World Cup Draw. Compare them to teams who were within 100 ranking points of them, either way, at the start of that year. England and Netherlands, as pointed out, were humped because they played meaningless friendlies when the Swiss, on purpose, chose not to and their FA have came out said it was a tactic to keep their ranking higher so it remained favourable for the World Cup draw.

I liked his line about going to watch it with "a heavy heart"

Yip. All the political and emotional conviction of an amoeba. The man's a self-important p***k.....and probably voted No with a heavy heart as well. Always MrNiceGuy.

Well, you're still going and having this dick speak on behalf of you. Who's asking the question?? Running a bus and occasionally getting a freebie used to be the extent of running a supporters club, until people started giving some of these buffoons airtime, in some stupid belief that the fans ought to be listened to. Ian Emerson's as bad. A friend of mine moved to Germany a few years back, and brought a group of FSV Frankfurt fans to a game. Stumbling across this new batch of naive b*****ds, he stalked my mate for about six weeks, wanting him to set up another fans group and he'd do a spread in the magazine on them. Politely decline isn't an option with those c***s though, and the unreturned emails got a bit of a tantrum going. Wanks the lot of them.

Scott Bain has withdrawn and been replaced by Craig Samson. That fabled Scottish goalkeeping death a myth, clearly.

That's got to be a bit of a scunner for Bain, shame. I think he said that he'd put off a trip to see his girlfriend in Oz once he was called up, so maybe he can get that back on. It'll be tough for him to get back in the squad when McGregor, Marshall and Gordon are all fit.

Also, I think you meant 'dearth' :lol:

Can you pay at the gate? Only section 1 has seats at the moment as they are releasing bit by bit, and I'm no sitting in there. Are they opening the upper tier in the West?

I'm of the same mind - not sitting in the pishy sections they are offering on the website.

Still not sure if i'll go at all.

Archived