The Real Staggies v The Real Saints

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't been comfortable with the blasé attitude towards our position in the top six in recent weeks and I'd be more surprised if we did make it than didn't now

If Hamilton fail to beat United on Saturday, at Tannadice, then we make the top half. Seems more likely we'll make it than not, tbh.

This is the most infuriating thing. A win would put us in the European places yet we play for a draw?

I don't think St Johnstone played for a draw.

My take on things:

1) MacLean started ahead of Graham, because MacLean tends to do very well against Ross County, I can't remember a match in which he was involved in where he didn't terrorise the defence. That tends to be because Scott Boyd struggles against aggressive forwards, but I thought Boyd dealt with MacLean excellently, after losing the first set-piece header and then taking a nasty looking facial injury from a MacLean challenge.

(Graham similarly put in a brilliant display against Boyd in a League Cup win for Raith Rovers three seasons ago, but Tommy Wright wouldn't have seen that).

2) I think McFadden played because McFadden tore County apart in the two games in Perth this season, he showed Carey how to be clinical in the number 10 position (and I don't think Carey has been used in that role since). On Tuesday night, some spaces were there behind County's midfield, but not to the extent as in Perth, and he never really dropped off to find space. It's a sad sight to see for every Scotland supporter.

There was absolutely no pace up top, but then County didn't have much either. At least St Johnstone had O'Halloran to use as an out-ball and he was a big threat, sometimes getting St Johnstone 3v2. When County countered it had to involve perfectly intricate play by Boyce to link up; County were often quite happy to take the foul and re-group the attack and I was watching with envy at how much a better team County might be with some pace in the front four (Gardyne isn't slow but he had to beat Easton with skill).

3) Wright had to move to the 4-5-1/4-3-3 shape because County were on top with the numbers equal in central midfield with 2x 4-4-2 formations, especially for the first 15 minutes of the second half. Chris Millar was allowed to drop off the back of midfield and - one slack pass excepted - I thought he did very well in the role. St Johnstone put County under more pressure due to the change than they did before.

Graham probably came on too late, but I can see what the manager was trying to do.

McFadden's performances against County were five months ago and were his last good ones in a Saints shirt. In fact, he's barely played since then - 379 league minutes - so I think it's fair enough to question the decision to play him over a guy who was scored in his last two games, or indeed a guy who the manager has admitted gives us an out from the back. Just because there is logic in a decision, doesn't make it sensible. McFadden was never likely to get the same space as afforded him in Perth. His time with us has largely been full of frustration. He's still got great feet and will usually get away from his man but then nearly always either wants to take on another man or is too slow to release the ball. There was one occasion in the first half where he got free and then sent O'Halloran fleeing down the left with a reverse that caught everyone by surprise as we had men over on the right but that sort of thing has been a rare sight.

There was absolutely no pace up top, but then County didn't have much either. At least St Johnstone had O'Halloran to use as an out-ball and he was a big threat, sometimes getting St Johnstone 3v2. When County countered it had to involve perfectly intricate play by Boyce to link up; County were often quite happy to take the foul and re-group the attack and I was watching with envy at how much a better team County might be with some pace in the front four (Gardyne isn't slow but he had to beat Easton with skill).

I'd like to see Sernas come on earlier to see how much he could offer us with his pace, was impressed with him away to Hamilton.

Admittedly, Boyce and Curran are doing so well that we'd need to be be in a pretty comfortable position before we could afford to give a sub a run-out as something of an experiment.

Or in Jervis case at Hamilton, not playing well enough, so we had to try a sub to improve things.

I'd like to see Sernas come on earlier to see how much he could offer us with his pace, was impressed with him away to Hamilton.

Admittedly, Boyce and Curran are doing so well that we'd need to be be in a pretty comfortable position before we could afford to give a sub a run-out as something of an experiment.

Or in Jervis case at Hamilton, not playing well enough, so we had to try a sub to improve things.

Not to count chickens, but we should be targetting such a scenario against a now broken St. Mirren.

I don't think St Johnstone played for a draw.

My take on things:

1) MacLean started ahead of Graham, because MacLean tends to do very well against Ross County, I can't remember a match in which he was involved in where he didn't terrorise the defence. That tends to be because Scott Boyd struggles against aggressive forwards, but I thought Boyd dealt with MacLean excellently, after losing the first set-piece header and then taking a nasty looking facial injury from a MacLean challenge.

(Graham similarly put in a brilliant display against Boyd in a League Cup win for Raith Rovers three seasons ago, but Tommy Wright wouldn't have seen that).

2) I think McFadden played because McFadden tore County apart in the two games in Perth this season, he showed Carey how to be clinical in the number 10 position (and I don't think Carey has been used in that role since). On Tuesday night, some spaces were there behind County's midfield, but not to the extent as in Perth, and he never really dropped off to find space. It's a sad sight to see for every Scotland supporter.

3) Wright had to move to the 4-5-1/4-3-3 shape because County were on top with the numbers equal in central midfield with 2x 4-4-2 formations, especially for the first 15 minutes of the second half. Chris Millar was allowed to drop off the back of midfield and - one slack pass excepted - I thought he did very well in the role. St Johnstone put County under more pressure due to the change than they did before.

Graham probably came on too late, but I can see what the manager was trying to do.

Im aware of possible reasons why he chose the front line he did, its just baffling how he could actually drop Graham when hes literally the only player scoring just now, regardless of how our previous meetings have gone.

Not to count chickens, but we should be targetting such a scenario against a now broken St. Mirren.

Didnt want to say as much, but am hoping for as much.

The thought of Boyce and Sernas up front gives me a lump in my pants*, as harsh as that may be on Curran.

*in a good way, not in the bad way that being attacked by the ghost of Gary Coleman would give me a lump in my pants

I agree that Sernas looked sharp at Hamilton, but those were in circumstances where County were chasing the game and the contest was being funneled through him. If he doesn't work as hard as Curran in harrying defenders then the midfield shape could quickly be picked apart.

But we won't know until we see more of him, as Spain suggests it would be good to be in a position to do so on Monday.

Archived