The Witcher 3

spud131

It's a slow starter like every other Witcher game. You're probably not past the first shitey village in that time never mind mastering the combat or grasping the politics of the war.

Give it time.

It's hard to pick up the fighting style. Not sure what platform you're on but on PC it's not too different to the previous game. The first Witcher game was on a completely different and much older engine so it didn't play the same at all.

Once you get it though - so satisfying. I've still got a ways to go once I get a few more skill points.

Back to white orchard to visit all the remaining undiscovered locations and clean up all the quests.. half way through that and I'm still level 3 haha. Nightmare.

On the bright side I'm getting better at fighting groups but my signs are still shite due to my level and my weapons and armour are pants. I've a feeling much like Witcher 2 the game will get easier in the middle.

FFS, spent another good 5 hours playing tonight and I'm level 4 :lol:

It's brilliant but what a level grinder.

I finished off playing dragon age and now onto this. However I'm just not enjoying it that much all be it only played 2 hours or so of it

It's a slow starter like every other Witcher game. You're probably not past the first shitey village in that time never mind mastering the combat or grasping the politics of the war.

Give it time.

This. I distinctly remember thinking that I'd probably give up on it at one point as it was all just a bit meh. Give it time. I did, and it's the best game of 2015 by a massive distance, probably the best I've ever played.

I completed the main storyline at the weekend. What. A. Game. Absolutely loved it. Not been so immersed in a game since Skyrim, and not been as engaged in a plot since Red Dead Redemption. And coincidentally, it felt like a cross between the two games to me as well.

The Bloody Baron storyline had a better story and more depth than some entire games. And it was a side quest!

I'm level 35 now and just lazily exploring the remaining ? locations for the hell of it. I'll install the first expansion pack soon and get stuck in to that.

Some spoiler-heavy discussion about the ending, and the different possibilities:

Of the two main 'happy' endings, every person I've seen commenting online thinks they got the best. I think that shows just how good the game was - that the outcome was shaped by the way you chose to play it, and provided satisfaction regardless.

For me, I ended up with Yennefer and Ciri went off to rule Nilfgaard. Others seem equally happy that Ciri eschewed that to become a Witcher. I felt that accepting her destiny to become Empress was the final step in her growing up - something that Geralt had been helping her do throughout the second half of the game.

But imagine you got the 'unhappy' ending. Ouch. That'd be a kicker.

I thought the game was going to finish at Kaer Morhen so I was quite surprised there was a load more gameplay after that. That was a bit of anti-climax initially, but to be honest, I'm just glad there was more of it to play.

I completed the main storyline at the weekend. What. A. Game. Absolutely loved it. Not been so immersed in a game since Skyrim, and not been as engaged in a plot since Red Dead Redemption. And coincidentally, it felt like a cross between the two games to me as well.

The Bloody Baron storyline had a better story and more depth than some entire games. And it was a side quest!

I'm level 35 now and just lazily exploring the remaining ? locations for the hell of it. I'll install the first expansion pack soon and get stuck in to that.

Some spoiler-heavy discussion about the ending, and the different possibilities:

Of the two main 'happy' endings, every person I've seen commenting online thinks they got the best. I think that shows just how good the game was - that the outcome was shaped by the way you chose to play it, and provided satisfaction regardless.

For me, I ended up with Yennefer and Ciri went off to rule Nilfgaard. Others seem equally happy that Ciri eschewed that to become a Witcher. I felt that accepting her destiny to become Empress was the final step in her growing up - something that Geralt had been helping her do throughout the second half of the game.

But imagine you got the 'unhappy' ending. Ouch. That'd be a kicker.

I thought the game was going to finish at Kaer Morhen so I was quite surprised there was a load more gameplay after that. That was a bit of anti-climax initially, but to be honest, I'm just glad there was more of it to play.

I sided with the redhead (Triss isn't it?), where I seem to head off to the country to live out the rest of my days in peace (except I go straight back to the main game where I do the exact opposite). Ciri decided against leaving, and I have to say the reveal where you've brought the Witcher sword to her was done really well. Genuinely thought she was dead, so it wrapped things up nicely.

When I hit the Kaer Morhen stuff, I also thought it was over, and was quite disappointed. For me that didn't feel like the right way to end it, so thought I'd end up with a handful of extra missions. There were quite a lot though after that point, which was a nice surprise, and you got a full on ending after that.

I know I'll never get the time to do it, but if I get through Fallout and Assassin's Creed (and Just Cause) then I really need to go back to the Witcher and play from the very start. I think I started a new character not too long ago before the DLC, so would be good to continue there and naturally bring in the new material. Hopefully by that point the second DLC will be close.

EDIT: Actually, I've just looked for any details of DLC 2. It'll be called Blood and Wine, contain a completely new area, and it'll look like this.

2976576-witcher3.png

2976579-witcher4.png

Scenes.

I sided with the redhead (Triss isn't it?), where I seem to head off to the country to live out the rest of my days in peace (except I go straight back to the main game where I do the exact opposite). Ciri decided against leaving, and I have to say the reveal where you've brought the Witcher sword to her was done really well. Genuinely thought she was dead, so it wrapped things up nicely.

When I hit the Kaer Morhen stuff, I also thought it was over, and was quite disappointed. For me that didn't feel like the right way to end it, so thought I'd end up with a handful of extra missions. There were quite a lot though after that point, which was a nice surprise, and you got a full on ending after that.

I know I'll never get the time to do it, but if I get through Fallout and Assassin's Creed (and Just Cause) then I really need to go back to the Witcher and play from the very start. I think I started a new character not too long ago before the DLC, so would be good to continue there and naturally bring in the new material. Hopefully by that point the second DLC will be close.

EDIT: Actually, I've just looked for any details of DLC 2. It'll be called Blood and Wine, contain a completely new area, and it'll look like this.

2976576-witcher3.png

2976579-witcher4.png

Scenes.

From what I've read about the Triss ending, she ends up as an advisor to the king in Kovir and Geralt takes on the occasional Witcher contract to keep his skills honed. If you chose Yennefer, like I did, you move away somewhere quiet, have breakfast at lunchtime etc.

It does jar slightly that after being told that you end up right back doing what you were doing before, but I guess that was inevitable. Unless you ended up by yourself after romancing both Yen and Triss, in which case it would make perfect sense!

I don't think either Yen or Geralt are actually the type to settle down in to retirement permanently anyway. It's certainly hard to imagine Yen managing to resist meddling in stuff. So I'm thinking of Geralt's continued Witchering as him having gone off for a break from retirement, as it were, so it could legitimately fit in to a wider narrative.

Although it's also possible I've over-thought this...

The first expansion pack (Hearts of Stone) apparently has 10 hours of gameplay. Blood and Wine will have 20 hours and be set in a whole new area, as you say. There isn't a release date yet, although it does look pretty spectacular!

I've never played either of the first two Witcher games, so I might even give them a go at some point too.

Edited by Forfinn

2976576-witcher3.png

2976579-witcher4.png

Scenes.

That looks bloody beautiful!

2976576-witcher3.png

2976579-witcher4.png

Scenes.

Ah for f**k SAKE!

I bought the season pass for the Witcher 3 and I'm close to finishing the main quest, but haven't started DLC 1 yet.

I also have Assassin's Creed Syndicate (which I've barely touched), Fallout 4 (main mission finished but side quests still to do), Star Wars Battlefront, Destiny (picked up The Taken King in the recent sale and still to really get into it), Elder Scrolls Online (which I started last night), not to mention Tales from Borderlands, Telltale Game of Thrones, Rocket League, Driveclub, plus all the PSN games..

... and you give me screenshots THAT beautiful?!

b*****d!

:(

Good news is everything outside the main missions in fallout 4 are distinctly underwhelming. Wouldn't spent too much time on them.

As for Witcher 1 and 2 well worth it, you'll get them these days for about £6-7 for both. Witcher 1 on a different engine so it's very different.

I'm about 50 hours into the game. Having pre-ordered it I didn't get round to starting it until recently because of uni work etc.

The witcher 2 was one of my favourite ever games and this is even better. The open world is the best ever created imo and to manage to create so much to do and still keep and remarkable amount of variety is quite an achievement.

Playing on a higher difficulty preparation for a fight is pretty big. Fought 2 werewolves recently, the first one took me ages because I didn't go in for the kill and it howled to start some massive regen.

2nd one I used the best gear I had, cursed oil, thunderbolt, the lot. Fucked him up. Starting to feel like a witcher again now that I'm strong enough to tackle that stuff. At low levels you're so underpowered.

Do you need to keep chopping n changing what you use on different creatures ?

Generally aye. That's what makes it interesting. I'm just big on preparation and checking bestiary entries for weaknesses to signs and bombs etc.

Applying oil to a sword only lasts for 20 strikes anyway and most potion effects are short duration as well.

Also in terms of swords I don't always use my strongest weapons. I'm using the viper blades you can build in white orchard mostly because they give you handy experience boosts to help with the slow leveling.

Only use the best swords for the hard fights.

Only use the best swords for the hard fights.

Do you just do that to make it more difficult?

I've installed Hearts of Stone now so going to get back in to it. I've done a bit of exploring of the area that's been opened up without actually starting the quests, and despite being level 35 now it's considerably more difficult - groups of foes that are all around level 32. Best swords most definitely to the fore!

I just went with the weaker swords to begin with as I was pretty underleveled for most quests really. The witcher swords were giving much needed exp boosts. Now I actually find I'm a bit over levelled and I'm way above the requirements for most!

It's actually mental how many open quests and contracts I have. I tried to just hammer through them but I must have done over 30 and had found so many more randoms and notice boards along the way I still had just as many left!

Incredible game. Can't wait to get started on the DLC.

It's actually mental how many open quests and contracts I have. I tried to just hammer through them but I must have done over 30 and had found so many more randoms and notice boards along the way I still had just as many left!

I made a point of completing all my side quests before finishing the game, so now I'm just exploring and picking up the last upgrades for the Wolf and Bear armours and exploring undiscovered locations before starting the DLC. Despite the time I've spent on the game, I'm still encountering new people and new (albeit very minor) side quests. It's such a huge world.

I'd have gathered up the armour upgrades before now but there's a bug in the Xbox One version that means I can't actually get the basic Wolf and Bear armour sets, so gathering all the upgrades is a fairly academic exercise until a fix is released!

I've just added a few of the free DLC on steam. The Wolf armour is very nice indeed, I'll be sticking with that for a while. Most of my gear is just one level off master except the Griffin stuff which I don't like. The new quests are good as well.

I'm nearing the end of the main story with quite a few quests and contracts still to do as well. Then onto Hearts of Stone and hopefully not long after that for Blood and Wine.

Now that I've played just over 100 hours I can say with some confidence it's the best game I've ever played. What a masterpiece.