Settle a debate - Neutrals views appreciated - Dundee & Utd XI

Contributions to a debate with myself and a dayglo fan please and a wee bit of fun.

At the start of the season we picked a Dundee/Utd XI based on nothing more than pre-season and reputations. Unfortunately I have lost the emails of those original teams but I believe he included approximately 3 Dee players max early in the season and I may have had 4 Dundee players in there with the balance being DABs.

We revisited this yesterday through a combination of the Tim 2's departure and performances over the season. Needless to say my team now has a healthy compliment of 6 Dess to 5 Arabs, his 6 Arabs to 5 Dees. (the difference is in the same position so we have 10 identical players)

In the interests of not prejudicing it I'll keep the teams under my hat for now - would be interested to see any neutral and of course Dee's and Dab's views on this "Dundee Dream Team"

We went with the 4-5-1 format as that's pretty much how both sides play but feel free to change the formation you see fit.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bain

R. McGowan McPake Fojut White Cafu

Saft Feet P. McGowan

Dow GGH Stewart

Cficti

Subs. Letheren, Dillon, J Mac, Pates, Chris (cannae fart but his) Erskine, Wighton and Connoly (only if he cuts the gamesmanship out mind).

Manager. PH.

ETA Would've, obviously, been a completely different selection at the end of last year.

-------------------Bain-------------------

-----McGinn-Fojut-McPake-Irvine-----

Connolly.McGowan.Thomson.Stewart

-----------------Harkins-----------------

------------------Ciftci-------------------

Can only base it on what I've seen so it's obviously going to lean towards Dee's.

Keeper is a no-brainer.

McGowan (Ryan) has only just signed and is yet to find real form so opted for McGinn over him.

Couldn't even name an Arab CB other than Fojut but would have opted for him over Konrad anyway.

Dillon seems useless at LB and I don't rate Dixon so have went for the white Cafu.

Connolly was the DABs best player on Wednesday and would have him over any of our options in that position.

McGowan (Paul) has an unrivalled work rate in either of the teams so is straight in for me.

Thomson, when on his game is pure class and dictates games. While united fans may argue for either Paton or Rankin, I haven't seen them do that when I've watched them. Plus, with that tan and that jaw between them they've no chance.

Gorgeous Greg on the left, say no more.

GGH in behind Ciftci. His vision and skill can unlock defences and paired with Ciftci's ability to find the net I reckon they'd be lethal.

So 9:3 for me in a 4-4-1-1. Actually think that makes a rather good team, perhaps with only LB position needing addressed.

Edit: forgot about Telfer. To balance holding and attacking I'd probably swap him for McGowan if I had to. So 8:4.

-------------------Bain-------------------

-----McGinn-Fojut-McPake-Irvine-----

Connolly.McGowan.Thomson.Stewart

-----------------Harkins-----------------

------------------Ciftci-------------------

Can only base it on what I've seen so it's obviously going to lean towards Dee's.

Keeper is a no-brainer.

McGowan (Ryan) has only just signed and is yet to find real form so opted for McGinn over him.

Couldn't even name an Arab CB other than Fojut but would have opted for him over Konrad anyway.

Dillon seems useless at LB and I don't rate Dixon so have went for the white Cafu.

Connolly was the DABs best player on Wednesday and would have him over any of our options in that position.

McGowan (Paul) has an unrivalled work rate in either of the teams so is straight in for me.

Thomson, when on his game is pure class and dictates games. While united fans may argue for either Paton or Rankin, I haven't seen them do that when I've watched them. Plus, with that tan and that jaw between them they've no chance.

Gorgeous Greg on the left, say no more.

GGH in behind Ciftci. His vision and skill can unlock defences and paired with Ciftci's ability to find the net I reckon they'd be lethal.

So 9:3 for me in a 4-4-1-1. Actually think that makes a rather good team, perhaps with only LB position needing addressed.

Edit: forgot about Telfer. To balance holding and attacking I'd probably swap him for McGowan if I had to. So 8:4.

Did you fail maths lad? :P

I considered Thomson but he's only useful for those 15 minutes every three months when fit.

Erskine > Connolly > Telfer > Spittal > Darren Jackson > Your Mum > Harkins.

Harkins has more assists than Chris Erskine despite a fairly lengthy lay off - he has also contributed just 1 less goal #baller

Archived