The Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2015

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Become Hamilton, make hunners of money by selling James McCarthy/McArthur, give the club to the fans.

Sounds full proof.  This new owner has said he's losing money but his end game is to hand the club over to the fans for nothing after 3 years?

Touchedbymadnes. From your earlier post you weren't at the meeting so what right have you got to be making sarky comments? It's people like you who have helped bring about the negativity the chairman was commenting on. If you'd been at the meeting and formed the impression that the chairman had not handled things to your satisfaction, that's one thing but not to be there gives you no right to be a smart ass from the side.

Sounds full proof.  This new owner has said he's losing money but his end game is to hand the club over to the fans for nothing after 3 years?

You are misunderstanding what was said. TW said nothing about handing the club to the fans after 3 years.

Shhh naysayers will be shot on site........

Correction - naysayers will be shat on sight.  :wacko:

I think the meeting was wonderful and so glad that everything has been cleared up so neatly.

Glad to hear it. 

You are misunderstanding what was said. TW said nothing about handing the club to the fans after 3 years.

Pedantic point to make but okay.  TW has said he's losing money.  His plan is to nurture youth players and hopefully have the same success as Hamilton, raking in millions in the process.  At some unknown point in the future he will hand the club over to the fans.  Forgive me, but what does he gain out of this?  Is he an Airdrie fan?

Course it's sarky unless you've have a conversion overnight. I've read your posts over the last few weeks and you're one of the most outspoken critics of how the club is being run,. If you don't believe me have a read at your own posts.

Pedantic point to make but okay.  TW has said he's losing money.  His plan is to nurture youth players and hopefully have the same success as Hamilton, raking in millions in the process.  At some unknown point in the future he will hand the club over to the fans.  Forgive me, but what does he gain out of this?  Is he an Airdrie fan?

Makes no difference whether he's an Airdrie fan - or not. He's been willing to put money into the club and has plans for it going forward.

For what it's worth he has supported Rangers in the past. 

Maybe when you're sitting on a company turning over tens of millions you might just wonder what you would like to do with some of that spare cash you have around. 

He's not perfect nobody is. I think he needs to get a bit more thick skinned and accept that criticism is in ever able when you're in a high profile position.

But I think he is clearly an honest guy and he's also passionate about what he's doing and his intentions are clearly honourable(there are NO assets to exploit).

He should just work on channelling his energy on the things that matter and those he can control and hopefully in a few years time we are in a far better position than we are now.

Getting back on track then....I assume however signs Watt will be giving us a development fee then, given his age and the (disputed) fact that he's been offered a deal? If it's Livvy, that'll be interesting.

Will settle it once and for all if he was offered a contract. If he was we will receive some form of compensation, if not then no cash, simples.

Can't get excited about the football games this season so going to try and look forward a to a semi decent squad of players who will meet the hopefully recovered managers requirements and can put this season of rumours and suspicion behind us and get on with watching some hopefully decent football.

Makes no difference whether he's an Airdrie fan - or not. He's been willing to put money into the club and has plans for it going forward.

For what it's worth he has supported Rangers in the past. 

Maybe when you're sitting on a company turning over tens of millions you might just wonder what you would like to do with some of that spare cash you have around. 

I wasn't suggesting that he should be an Airdrie fan, or that it mattered, just that he doesn't appear to be getting anything out of this deal and if he were an Airdrie fan it would go some way to explaining why he was happy to pile in money and get nothing but the satisfaction of watching a football team back in return.

You seem a bit defensive with your fairly condescending last line, but if I had tens of millions lying around, buying a stagnating club in Lanarkshire with no connections to myself would not be high on my list.  I was just curious as to the 3 year plan and a vague one was put forward which I questioned a bit more.  Hope it works out for you.

I'm an outspoken critic of the way the team are playing. Never said a bad word (any word?) about TW. All I care about is the team on the park. If we're driving away fans then I'm not happy. I had concerns that the Love rumours are true (and the obvious consequence of that) and they have dispelled that myth.

I was concerned that this season has long been written off and that seems to be assumed. Next season has promised to be wonderful so bring it on.

Not sure I agree about how good Lithgow, Faria and Sumsky are but that's subjective.

Anything else?

Subjective as you say. Faria's more than just a player, as you know he's coaching as well and doing good work with the local schools. Sumsky - if you saw TW's reaction and body language last night, reading between the lines let's just say when TW said "he'll pop up somewhere" well, enough said.    

I wasn't suggesting that he should be an Airdrie fan, or that it mattered, just that he doesn't appear to be getting anything out of this deal and if he were an Airdrie fan it would go some way to explaining why he was happy to pile in money and get nothing but the satisfaction of watching a football team back in return.

You seem a bit defensive with your fairly condescending last line, but if I had tens of millions lying around, buying a stagnating club in Lanarkshire with no connections to myself would not be high on my list.  I was just curious as to the 3 year plan and a vague one was put forward which I questioned a bit more.  Hope it works out for you.

TW has a background of investing in and sponsoring clubs across a wide variety of locations and in different leagues:- Hamilton, East Fife, BSC Glasgow. This time round he's going the whole hog and taking ownership of a club and running it rather than "just" sponsoring it. The 3 year plan is a framework and a realistic timescale for the club to work to. 

You seem a bit defensive with your fairly condescending last line, but if I had tens of millions lying around, buying a stagnating club in Lanarkshire with no connections to myself would not be high on my list. I was just curious as to the 3 year plan and a vague one was put forward which I questioned a bit more. Hope it works out for you.

To answer your originally question more clearly; Tom Wotherspoon's "Three Year Plan" is to have us fighting at the top of the Championship by 2019. He did however admit last night that he thinks we will achieve this in less than three years.

I think I speak for all Airdrie fans when I say I hope he's right.

Touchbymadness has made some valid points along the way. This new age rule the players were told when chairman/manager/CEO took over, it was either 26 or 27. Nobody over this age will be signed for next season. The better players we have fall into this bracket so right away months ago the season was effectively over. Nobody upstairs too bothered about that so no problem there, but, 1 of the 1st players signed was 33 yr old ,and let's not get sucked into hes a coach, cos every game I've been at hes been playing. We then bring in inferior loan players worse than what we had. So what part of the plan was that, presumably they go back to their own club at end of season. Which leaves us with who for next season? At the moment nobody has a clue what type of players, team for next year. When will the current players find out who's staying ,going or what.

Touchbymadness has made some valid points along the way. This new age rule the players were told when chairman/manager/CEO took over, it was either 26 or 27. Nobody over this age will be signed for next season. The better players we have fall into this bracket so right away months ago the season was effectively over. Nobody upstairs too bothered about that so no problem there, but, 1 of the 1st players signed was 33 yr old ,and let's not get sucked into hes a coach, cos every game I've been at hes been playing. We then bring in inferior loan players worse than what we had. So what part of the plan was that, presumably they go back to their own club at end of season. Which leaves us with who for next season? At the moment nobody has a clue what type of players, team for next year. When will the current players find out who's staying ,going or what.

Iain King and TW both said last night that all loan players are brought in with the intention of signing them permanantly at the end of the season/contract if it goes well, with the exception of Thomson.

That's my main concern with him. I don't buy that he's just here to "live the dream", as he siad. And if that doesn't work out, where does that leave us? In a multi-year contract for Ravenscraig and paying full time wages? I appreciate that he's not loading us up with debt, as he confirmed last night, but he is loading us up with liabilities (in the financial sense) - these bills will need paid whether he remains or not.

Subjective as you say. Faria's more than just a player, as you know he's coaching as well and doing good work with the local schools. Sumsky - if you saw TW's reaction and body language last night, reading between the lines let's just say when TW said "he'll pop up somewhere" well, enough said.    

TW has a background of investing in and sponsoring clubs across a wide variety of locations and in different leagues:- Hamilton, East Fife, BSC Glasgow. This time round he's going the whole hog and taking ownership of a club and running it rather than "just" sponsoring it. The 3 year plan is a framework and a realistic timescale for the club to work to. 

Fair enough, sponsoring clubs is a bit easier to justify though as his business gets something in return.  If he's genuine in what he says then good stuff.

To answer your originally question more clearly; Tom Wotherspoon's "Three Year Plan" is to have us fighting at the top of the Championship by 2019. He did however admit last night that he thinks we will achieve this in less than three years.

I think I speak for all Airdrie fans when I say I hope he's right.

Ambitious to say the least.  Good luck.

Archived