Next UK Labour Leader

FlyerTon

Next UK Labour Leader  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The majority of people on the islands want to remain part of the U.K., not Argentina, until that changes I see no reason why our policy on this matter should change.

I blame Jeremy Corbyn and the loony left.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We agreed to give it back to Argentina in the 70s.

No, "we" agreed to transfer it to Argentine control in the late 60's as long as the islanders agreed. They did not, so "we" didn't.

The same people on here who slagging Britain's stance on this are the same people who would be slagging them if the islanders were removed against their will.

See when you ask someone to check their history, make sure you have it right.

Probably a good idea to heed your own advice:

No, "we" agreed to transfer it to Argentine control in the late 60's as long as the islanders agreed. They did not, so "we" didn't.

The same people on here who slagging Britain's stance on this are the same people who would be slagging them if the islanders were removed against their will.

The Islanders were not involved in the negotiations and it was only after strenious lobbying that the UK goverment backed away from an agreement that had already been reached. This was in the early 70s.

No negotiations were between 1966 and 1968. Britain's stance was the islands would be passed to Argentina as they believed the islanders would agree.

The trade agreement was signed in 71, Argentina prepared and build infrastructure in 72. This is when the islanders kicked up a major fuss and Britain backed down.

They then began renegotiating in late 70's early 80's as the UK looked to save money.

But the only actual agreement was in late 60's.

More the point you cannot "give back" (your statement) what was never theirs in the first place.

suggest you read the history a bit. Malvinas was Spanish then Argentinian long before the Brits came calling. A total joke that hundreds died to protect a few daft brits and their colony (plus oil of course)

This. It's a farce. I'm all for continental shifts etc.. but how the malvinas ever became separated from England.. nobody knows.

British out of the malvinas

I thought he destroyed Cameron today. Seemed to be the general consensus from both left and right leaning journalists on Twitter too.

Personally I only heard it on 5Live, but I thought he did well despite not being impressed with his leadership so far.

I thought he destroyed Cameron today. Seemed to be the general consensus from both left and right leaning journalists on Twitter too.

Personally I only heard it on 5Live, but I thought he did well despite not being impressed with his leadership so far.

This. I don't think the PMQ is his problem. There have been a couple of times where he's knocked Cameron for six.

Needs to translate that into the wider world (UK) though.

I should also add that I didn't think Cameron was particularly strong, but he doesn't really have to be when he's up against Corbyn. I thought Corbyn led on the correct topics, but failed to land a clean punch at any stage. It probably doesn't help that he is a relatively poor speaker, and that very much does matter at these events.

I thought Caroline Flint's question on Google was much sharper and more focused than any of Corbyn's.

I should also add that I didn't think Cameron was particularly strong, but he doesn't really have to be when he's up against Corbyn. I thought Corbyn led on the correct topics, but failed to land a clean punch at any stage. It probably doesn't help that he is a relatively poor speaker, and that very much does matter at these events.

I thought Caroline Flint's question on Google was much sharper and more focused than any of Corbyn's.

See, this is part of Labour's problem.

Far too many Labour "moderates" are of the opinion that "Cameron is shite but not as shite as Corbyn".

Whether you like it or not, the man is the leader of your party. It may be an idea to suck it up like a big boy and support him.

Far too many Labour "moderates" are of the opinion that "Cameron is shite but not as shite as Corbyn".

Whether you like it or not, the man is the leader of your party. It may be an idea to suck it up like a big boy and support him.

Would you have said the same to Jeremy Corbyn when Tony Blair was leader, and he was regularly disobeying the whip? Just curious.

Would you have said the same to Jeremy Corbyn when Tony Blair was leader, and he was regularly disobeying the whip? Just curious.

What?

What relevance does that have to do with Labour MP's, councillors, party members etc who cannot wait to take a swipe at Corbyn?

As I have said before, if Labour put as much collective effort into battling the Tories as they do publically berating Corbyn, you may actually get somewhere.

The fact that you'll probably not even accept this as a valid criticism partially highlights why Labour are in the mess they're in.

I'm not entirely sure that having a membership and parliamentary party who blindly support their leader no matter what is a good thing. Even under leaders I strongly support I think dissent and disagreement is an important aspect of it.

Labour are a broad church and have members who differ on a lot of issues. I don't think it's a bad thing to recognise these differences. I don't know any Labour members who would vote anyone other than Labour if there were an election tomorrow, even those like myself who are very critical of Corbyn.

I'm not entirely sure that having a membership and parliamentary party who blindly support their leader no matter what is a good thing. Even under leaders I strongly support I think dissent and disagreement is an important aspect of it.

Labour are a broad church and have members who differ on a lot of issues. I don't think it's a bad thing to recognise these differences. I don't know any Labour members who would vote anyone other than Labour if there were an election tomorrow, even those like myself who are very critical of Corbyn.

Sigh.

Who mentioned "blind support"?

I knew you wouldn't accept it as an issue.

I won't waste any more of my breath as it will obviously zoom about 5 miles over your head.

What?

What relevance does that have to do with Labour MP's, councillors, party members etc who cannot wait to take a swipe at Corbyn?

As I have said before, if Labour put as much collective effort into battling the Tories as they do publically berating Corbyn, you may actually get somewhere.

The fact that you'll probably not even accept this as a valid criticism partially highlights why Labour are in the mess they're in.

I suspect you understand the relevance of my first question, hence your decision to avoid answering it.

I don't accept that as valid criticism, no. Members should be allowed to, within reason, freely and openly voice dissent without fear of facing punishment. Or is that not part of the new, straight-talking, honest politics?

I suspect you understand the relevance of my first question, hence your decision to avoid answering it.

I don't accept that as valid criticism, no. Members should be allowed to, within reason, freely and openly voice dissent without fear of facing punishment. Or is that not part of the new, straight-talking, honest politics?

It wasn't even remotely relevant. When Blair was in charge of Labour, did he have swathes of Labour centrists telling every media source that would listen how utterly shite he was?

That Corbyn disobeyed the whip under Blair (as he has done all his political career - a fact to be admired I think) is neither hither nor thither in relation to the utter wankers to the Labour right.

Try criticising Tories more and Corbyn less. You may just get people to listen.

Back to PMQs, I just thought Corbyn not getting involved in things like a 'clean punch' on Cameron was part of his tactic. Cameron is ranting on week after week looking for sound bites and Corbyn isn't biting. The 'bunch of migrants' attack was awful.

Back to PMQs, I just thought Corbyn not getting involved in things like a 'clean punch' on Cameron was part of his tactic. Cameron is ranting on week after week looking for sound bites and Corbyn isn't biting. The 'bunch of migrants' attack was awful.

I think Cameron understands that most voters aren't going to watch PMQs in full, but will maybe hear a soundbite at the start of the news. If he can deploy a sharp line on tax or national security, then that's what voters will hear and/or read. His "bunch of migrants" line was dreadful, but I fear more people will agree than disagree with his sentiment.

Make worked in construction at Port Stanley after the Falklands War.

The forces and the construction crews hated the locals.

He said they were a bunch of ungrateful inbreds who should have been shipped back to a sheep farm Lake District.

Archived