Stenhousemuir FC - The League 2 Champions - The 2024/25 Thread

15 hours ago, Neilly said:

Apparently Alan Reid just about didn't sign in the end as he heard we had also offered a deal to another right back and this hurt his feelings.

Says a lot for him to sign under these circumstances.

really admire him for signing. heard too that he was going to get his wages reduced by a third if he caught a cold, half if he farted in the dressing room, and two thirds if he blinked before a header. apparently the place is in turmoil and a strike is planned so good on Reidy for breaking the picket line :jerry

31 minutes ago, NELLY said:

David Marsh - what like? how many games did he play last season?

Decent enough for League 2. He was never going to get a regular game before the 2 Dunlops. Mainly used as a sub to shore things up late in a game.

You can expect to have him missing a few games in a season due to suspension.

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 09:00, beaver1 said:

Kieran Gibbons from East Kilbride signs. I know nothing about him. Anyone?

Was a really good player for us.  When he arrived from Cowdenbeath I couldn't find anyone from there with a good word to say about him (they had just been relegated) but for us he was one of my favourite players.

As others have said he's slight but he never shies a tackle, he works hard back and forward and doesn't get involved in daft stuff.  I saw him sent off once in about 100 games and it was a shocking call from the ref..two yellows for two reasonable challenges.

League 1 is clearly a step up.  He'll win you the ball and keep possession of it but will only seem effective if your attacking players do something useful with it.  At EK he was playing for a top four side so had strong players around him.  I hope he does well for you.

1 hour ago, NELLY said:

David Marsh - what like? how many games did he play last season?

David Marsh was a likable big guy, an uncompromising lower-league stopper who did a reasonable job for the Warriors. He was a big lump and could header bricks all day but he was often caught out and prone to the odd mistake too. His disciplinary record was pretty poor, as others have mentioned. I think, at the beginning of the season, Brown Ferguson had intended to play using a back three (a tactic which almost saved us from automatic relegation in 2016/17) but it didn't work and the Dunlop brothers looked poorer with the extra man alongside them. Bomber reverted to a flat back four and Marsh was the one who missed out.

If he is moving to Cowdenbeath, he'll do them a decent turn.

Good to see the squad taking shape. Still short of a good striker, centre mid (Paton replacement) and a couple of central defenders. Duthie can cover full back and attacking midfield. He was excellent first time around but seems to have had a rocky time of it lately.

Presuming Meggatt who has gone to East Fife was the Alloa player we were interested in.