Dundee United 2015/16 Season

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The squad we have is more than capable IMO. McNamara is the one to make it work, I'm still in the undecided camp about his ability. We will find out very quickly this season if he has got it or not.

The squad we have is more than capable IMO. McNamara is the one to make it work, I'm still in the undecided camp about his ability. We will find out very quickly this season if he has got it or not.

This exactly. I'm happy enough with the squad, and think Jackie actually has an eye for a player, though he mixes that up with some howlers too!

Problem is what he does with it on the park. It could be good, it could see Paton and Dillon starting most games, in which case. I'm out!

I expect we'll finish top six, but predicting with Jackie Mac in charge is a mugs gemme.

I've been watching some of the highlights from that awesome run we had at the end of 2013. It's easy to forget after the awful run from January onwards last season but I would still credit MacNamara with putting together the most exciting United team I've ever seen. Not the best overall but the most exciting attacking team. I wouldn't discount the possibility that he could do that again with this season's squad. We won't ever be miserly at the back under Jackie but he knows how to put together an attacking team.

I've been watching some of the highlights from that awesome run we had at the end of 2013. It's easy to forget after the awful run from January onwards last season but I would still credit MacNamara with putting together the most exciting United team I've ever seen. Not the best overall but the most exciting attacking team. I wouldn't discount the possibility that he could do that again with this season's squad. We won't ever be miserly at the back under Jackie but he knows how to put together an attacking team.

Just no. Don't be daft!

Whilst you have to credit Jackie for bringing in Ciftci and Robertson, he was so fcuking lucky to inherit Armstrong, GMS, Gauld and Souttar. With talent like that in the SPL, they couldn't fail to win.

In a decade we'll look back in horror at the concept that Gauld, Souttar and Armstrong were in the same team as Paul Paton and Brian Graham!

Just no. Don't be daft!

Whilst you have to credit Jackie for bringing in Ciftci and Robertson, he was so fcuking lucky to inherit Armstrong, GMS, Gauld and Souttar. With talent like that in the SPL, they couldn't fail to win.

In a decade we'll look back in horror at the concept that Gauld, Souttar and Armstrong were in the same team as Paul Paton and Brian Graham!

The same players that Houston couldn't make a team out of...

The same players that Houston couldn't make a team out of...

I was no fan of Houston, far from it, but a little perspective eh?

Souttar and Gauld were 16 and 17 respectively when Houston left.

Just no. Don't be daft!

What a lot of nonsense. You want to argue that success was inevitable given the good players inherited from Houston (who clearly didn't rate those players anywhere near as highly) and at the same time feign horror at how shite their teammates were (making failure inevitable?).

You're entitled to your opinion but you're trying to be clever after the fact. No one predicted the form which MacNamara extracted from the team prior to that season and neither did they recognise the talent of that group of players. Gauld was clearly special but the rest all had question marks. This season we have Souttar as the stellar talent but there are at least another four or five who could go on to be special - much as we did two years ago.

What a lot of nonsense. You want to argue that success was inevitable given the good players inherited from Houston (who clearly didn't rate those players anywhere near as highly) and at the same time feign horror at how shite their teammates were (making failure inevitable?).

If you want to conflate what I said to mean that, that's your own option. It's not what I said or meant. But you're deluded if you think the players we have now will be capable of replicating the performances of that period.

I said at the time that players like Paton and Graham were holding us back, to much mocking and derision on here. Don't get much argument on that front any longer funnily enough!

You go on to say nobody predicted the talent of the rest (Armstrong, GMS, Ciftci, Robertson) - speak for yourself. I saw Ciftci and Robertson in the pre-season and was raving about them to all and sundry, and everybody knew how good GMS and Armstrong were by that point.

I like some of the players we have now, but they're simply not in the same class. Coote, I really like, but he won't be a regular this season.

If you want to conflate what I said to mean that, that's your own option. It's not what I said or meant. But you're deluded if you think the players we have now will be capable of replicating the performances of that period.

You go on to say nobody predicted the talent of the rest (Armstrong, GMS, Ciftci, Robertson) - speak for yourself. I saw Ciftci and Robertson in the pre-season and was raving about them to all and sundry, and everybody knew how good GMS and Armstrong were by that point.

I like some of the players we have now, but they're simply not in the same class. Coote, I really like, but he won't be a regular this season.

Aye, I'm sure you predicted exactly the form we showed that season and will now quote one of your many posts on the subject to prove that fact.

I await the contemporaneous evidence of your foresight with bated breath.

Aye, I'm sure you predicted exactly the form we showed that season and will now quote one of your many posts on the subject to prove that fact.

I await the contemporaneous evidence of your foresight with bated breath.

Challenge accepted!

So, I went back and searched the Dundee United 2013/14 thread, and this was the first post I had posted in it.

Put in context, this was October 2013 - we had at this point won 3 of our 9 SPFL games...

Our problem this season has often been not getting into the game, and teams like Inverness and Partick have kept the ball from us, therefore we can't use our obvious attacking talents. Gomis will win the ball, and more importantly he can keep it, pass it. Hopefully it is Paton that is dropped as the defensive work he does Gomis is more than capable of doing, and unlike Paton, Gomis can actually play some football too.

Buaben too? Might be harsh on Rankin as he has played well, but a Gomis/Buaben partnership can dominate against every other Premiership midfield, and lay the ball on the plate for our fantastic attacking players - it's a salivating prospect for me!

The front 6 below is about as talented a lineup as could be playing in Tangerine in 25 years imho!

------------------Ciftci ------------

GMS -------- Armstrong -------- Gauld

---------- Gomis ------ Buaben ----------

Add to that we have a great keeper and Robertson and Souttar in defence coming through too!

In my defence, Rado was playing well back then lol

I was no fan of Houston, far from it, but a little perspective eh?

Souttar and Gauld were 16 and 17 respectively when Houston left.

Perspective? Houston left because he could see no future for United using the players we had. He wanted to spend large amounts of money on players like skacel etc.

To reiterate, he could not see any potential in those players. JMac could (for all his faults).

Archived