Dundee United 2015/16 Season

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Serious question this, but do other clubs regularly play overage/senior players in their development squads, I genuinely have no idea? Do the rest of the clubs perhaps just have fitter players? Is training at Tannadice genuinely an issue, taking on board the Rankin comment about Ciftci as well?

Serious question this, but do other clubs regularly play overage/senior players in their development squads, I genuinely have no idea? Do the rest of the clubs perhaps just have fitter players? Is training at Tannadice genuinely an issue, taking on board the Rankin comment about Ciftci as well?

I think most do. Aberdeen certainly did by all accounts last season, as did Celtic.

The Rankin comment about Ciftci screams of diet issues more than training.

That when he bumped into Ciftci the other day he'd noticed how much weight he'd lost since joining Celtic and that 'maybe he has someone cooking for him now'

Th presumption being that he's been eating shite for the last two years? Disappointing if true, you'd have thought the players would have been given plenty of guidance and support on getting the right nutrition for athletes.

That when he bumped into Ciftci the other day he'd noticed how much weight he'd lost since joining Celtic and that 'maybe he has someone cooking for him now'

I heard that last night too. Made me think that there might be less discipline at Tannadice.

On a similar note, and trying not to be too negative, I thought our players lacked physical fitness on Sunday. Our players looked like they were breathing out their arses after around 70 mins.

I heard that last night too. Made me think that there might be less discipline at Tannadice.

On a similar note, and trying not to be too negative, I thought our players lacked physical fitness on Sunday. Our players looked like they were breathing out their arses after around 70 mins.

If we're being generous, it might have been because it was the first competitive game of the season.

Might have been a factor, anyway

If we're being generous, it might have been because it was the first competitive game of the season.

Might have been a factor, anyway

I'm not having that. Aberdeen were just back from a trip to Japan or wherever.

There seems to be a general attitude around United for a few seasons now that you give the team 10 games to bed in/get up to fitness/not be frightened of a football.

There seems to be a general attitude around United for a few seasons now that you give the team 10 games to bed in/get up to fitness/not be frightened of a football.

I think it's a fair point. Despite their travels, Aberdeen have been doing pre-season training for longer and had played four competitive games. It can make a difference.

There is a difference between general fitness and match fitness, you know.

Yesterday's game seen Dom Thomas (although he is still underage) and Lional Ainsworth play for Motherwell U20's. The latter due to his suspension for the first two games of the season.

The biggest problem you have with overage/first team players playing at that level, as Motherwell proved yesterday that certain players (like the two named) are far too good for that level, so at times it is hard to tell how good a teams Development Squad are.

In uniteds defence - Gary Harkins is a fucking whippet just now (and indeed was at the start of last season)

It's whether it lasts or not that is the true measure. You would expect players to be trim and fit after a solid pre-season. If Celtic keep Nadz svelte for the full campaign you may have a cause to question your own regime but even then sometimes it's simply down to the individual players discipline.

Campbell was saying a few weeks ago that he couldn't care less about the development league in terms of placing and points (he admitted he didn't even know where we finished last season). I get the impression it is totally for our youngsters and is all about experience and individuals progressing. Still doesn't answer the question of what our senior players who aren't playing for the first team are doing. I've always been concerned about our overall fitness under McNamara and to have senior players sit out development games only adds to my concern.

In uniteds defence - Gary Harkins is a fucking whippet just now (and indeed was at the start of last season)

It's whether it lasts or not that is the true measure. You would expect players to be trim and fit after a solid pre-season. If Celtic keep Nadz svelte for the full campaign you may have a cause to question your own regime but even then sometimes it's simply down to the individual players discipline.

Has anyone got any pictures of Nadir Ciftci eating anything while playing for Dundee United?

Right now it's defin-etley about fitness not results.

We'll have a good idea of where we are after half a dozen games. I'm not convinced we have fitness issues.

Archived