Dundee United 2015/16 Season

I always remember when Charlie Miller left to go to Brann the manager and coaches in Norway basically called him a fat b*****d and criticised his diet from his time in Scotland. I think he lost something ridiculous like two stone whilst he was there. We are awful in this country for getting players physically prepared.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a difference between general fitness and match fitness, you know.

Absolutely. That's why I referred to our physical fitness. Our players should have at least been able to keep going the full 90 minutes instead of toiling in the last 20. After Aberdeen scored, it was very easy for them to keep possession and run the clock down when the reality is that they shpould have had to defend their lead while we battered them for an equaliser.

Fitness should be the easiest (and most important) thing for a management team to get sorted. You might not have the best players but if you can get them fit and organised it makes such a huge difference in this league (see St.Johnstone and Inverness in recent seasons).

Absolutely. That's why I referred to our physical fitness. Our players should have at least been able to keep going the full 90 minutes instead of toiling in the last 20. After Aberdeen scored, it was very easy for them to keep possession and run the clock down when the reality is that they shpould have had to defend their lead while we battered them for an equaliser.

To me, that looked more disorganisation than fitness.

To me, that looked more disorganisation than fitness.

It was the apathy of not wanting to get the ball back that pissed me off the most. I know it was a sucker punch when Aberdeen scored but you could sense the players just accepted the defeat, there was very little in the way of aggression and intensity in the last ten minutes (apart from Murray who reminded me of the dog from Up but replace 'squirrel' with football)

squirrel-up-dog-gif.gif

It was the apathy of not wanting to get the ball back that pissed me off the most. I know it was a sucker punch when Aberdeen scored but you could sense the players just accepted the defeat, there was very little in the way of aggression and intensity in the last ten minutes (apart from Murray who reminded me of the dog from Up but replace 'squirrel' with football)

Yeah, that too. They all feed into each other I suppose - fitness, organisation, apathy, confidence.

Th presumption being that he's been eating shite for the last two years? Disappointing if true, you'd have thought the players would have been given plenty of guidance and support on getting the right nutrition for athletes.

You can give them all the advice and support you want, but they need to buy into it too.

He knew he would start if he was available so maybe didn't need to put quite as much effort into those things as he does now.

Coote Signs Extension

August 5, 2015

DUNDEE UNITED has secured the signature of midfielder Alistair Coote on a new contract covering the next three years until May 2018.

The latest in the long line of talent from the Club’s youth academy, 17-year-old Alistair joined United in 2008 and made his first team debut as a substitute in a 1-0 reverse at Pittodrie versus Aberdeen in April 2015. He made two further substitute performances before the end of the 2014/15 campaign against Celtic and Dundee.

Alistair came to prominence in 2013 starring for Scotland in the Victory Shield campaign against the other home nations, scoring twice in the three games and has represented Scotland at various age groups up to Under-17 level.

Speaking to ArabZONE.co.uk, Alistair said: “I am very happy to extend my contract at United. The Club gives young talent the chance to progress and develop. I know that as long as I continue to show the commitment required there will be opportunities for me to play first team football. That is my goal and I can focus on producing the best I can for Dundee United over the next three years and entertaining our fans.”

Jackie McNamara, Manager, said: “Alistair has been under the spotlight for a few years and has handled it very well. He has real potential and ability and if he continues the progress he has shown he will be a sensational player for the Club.

“It delights me when our younger, most promising players talk about signing longer contracts because Dundee United is the best place for their development. I want the best young players playing for the Club and my job is to help them develop and improve whilst bringing success for the fans.”

Good to see Coote signing on, seems everyone has high hopes for him. With Harry Souttar seeming to be the pick of the year below him and Freeman the year after that, hopefully the conveyor belt will keep running.

Just need John Souttar to get his act together and become the Beckenbauer-esque general we need.

Bad news utd fans be prepared for the tears coming your way.

Hibs could add Dundee United forward Aidan Connolly to their squad with a possible loan deal involving Alex Harris moving in the opposite direction being considered by the club.

Read more: http://www.hibs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=407896#ixzz3hyMpXpdI

Archived