Dundee United 2015/16 Season

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mentioned this months ago but to be honest the main issue I have at the moment with the club is the lack of communication. For years we had Thompson as a bit of a 'rent a gob' for the press, not a day passed without hearing his opinions on anything from the SPFL to United to the Courier's Gardening supplement (I might have made that last one up).

I used to get a little tired of ST and his direct line to the press but as time has gone on he hs slowly become more and more silent (which is even worse). I get that he has moved away from his daily duties with the club but a bit of openness from United on things like Campbell or an update on the plans for the next couple of years would be nice. Thompson gave a really good in-depth interview with Arabzone a while back, it would be good to have something like that from either him or another senior member of the club, just to appease the fans in some way. If they continue to stay silent then the internet hoards will continue to get louder and louder.

Noticed a wee thing in the Fed statement today, that Campbell was not featured in this year's squad photo? Strange one.

Agree with this. The club are utter horseshite at communication. When the Fed have to release statements like that, things are going very badly wrong.

I hate the wee p***k but is it not a bit soon to be sacking him? Losing all of your best players within a year would decimate any team.

It looks a bit more serious than just losing players. If JMac is instrumental in us losing (probably) Steve Campbell, there will be no going back with the supporters.

Would still stick in my craw a bit that your best players end up in Glasgow rather than down south or abroad.

The irony is that game v Celtic could be one of his last. In a Utd fans shoes, I couldn't cope if GMS, Armstrong or Cifti (depending on ban situation) ripped you a new one in that game.

I have no issue selling the players - we got good money for them, and if Celtic offered the most money, that's life.

That said, I will be playing fitba this saturday afternoon, and won't be too upset at being unable to watch this game.

As far as I'm aware, ST can't "take money" out of the club. He can get his loans back (if he gave any) and he gets what his contract allows him.

Surely he can pay dividends to shareholders?

Who owns all the shares again? (Scratches head)

FWIW I think the Thomson family have been fantastic owners and a lot of you are being a bit hasty judging J Mac. Given the player turnover and the quality of those sold surely 5th would be a fantastic result and 9th acceptable - especially if some progress in the second half of the season could be seen. Most United fans I know we're giving it 'it's great to see us bringing through the young guys' - now it's let get rid of this c**t. I can see no obvious replacement (like Hartley) - stick with it I would say.

Would still stick in my craw a bit that your best players end up in Glasgow rather than down south or abroad.

The irony is that game v Celtic could be one of his last. In a Utd fans shoes, I couldn't cope if GMS, Armstrong or Cifti (depending on ban situation) ripped you a new one in that game.

Unfortunately, Celtic is the only club those players could go to. It looks like English cubs don't trust Scottish players at the moment as almost every one has failed or is failing. Look at our previous best (Goodie, Gomis etc) and even players who went south last season - May, McKay for example. None of them has exactly set the heather on fire. Therefore, anyone leaving us needs to go to a Scottish club and only Celtic can afford them.

Cifti knocked back a move to Wigan and GMS was leaving at the end of the season no matter what.

Dundee United done not a bad boy of business in that regard

FWIW I think the Thomson family have been fantastic owners and a lot of you are being a bit hasty judging J Mac. Given the player turnover and the quality of those sold surely 5th would be a fantastic result and 9th acceptable - especially if some progress in the second half of the season could be seen. Most United fans I know we're giving it 'it's great to see us bringing through the young guys' - now it's let get rid of this c**t. I can see no obvious replacement (like Hartley) - stick with it I would say.

My knowledge of business and running companies is limited to say the least. However, surely a shareholder can't take money out of a company?? My mate is a shareholder in United - can he withdraw cash? As ST is the Chairman, is he not an employee of the club? What about the directors - what role do they play?

As I say, I am absolutely no expert in this, so those are genuine questions.

Don't know what uniteds balance sheet looks like but you can only pay dividends if you have profit reserves in your equity balance that are distributable

My knowledge of business and running companies is limited to say the least. However, surely a shareholder can't take money out of a company?? My mate is a shareholder in United - can he withdraw cash? As ST is the Chairman, is he not an employee of the club? What about the directors - what role do they play?

As I say, I am absolutely no expert in this, so those are genuine questions.

Shareholders have no right to take money out of the club.

You are right about employees he will be paid a salary plus any bonuses other remuneration but he cannot just decide to take cash out the business.

As mentioned above only other method is dividend but profit reserves are required

Unfortunately, Celtic is the only club those players could go to. It looks like English cubs don't trust Scottish players at the moment as almost every one has failed or is failing. Look at our previous best (Goodie, Gomis etc) and even players who went south last season - May, McKay for example. None of them has exactly set the heather on fire. Therefore, anyone leaving us needs to go to a Scottish club and only Celtic can afford them.

Decent points m8.

Shareholders have no right to take money out of the club.

You are right about employees he will be paid a salary plus any bonuses other remuneration but he cannot just decide to take cash out the business.

As mentioned above only other method is dividend but profit reserves are required

So, all this wailing and gnashing of teeth about the chairman draining the club of cash is shite...?

So, all this wailing and gnashing of teeth about the chairman draining the club of cash is shite...?

I can't pretend to know the specifics of uniteds situation or ST's role at the club or even what their ownership structure looks like but what I mentioned above is just basic company rules.

He might set his own salary/bonus if he gets one I really don't know.

Main point is a shareholder absolutely cannot just extract cash from a business. You lose that right as soon as you incorporate.

Who says they're not benefitting too. Too many variables to make an informed opinion really

Ok. I just find it difficult to believe that ST is using United to fund his future emigration. My guess is that our particularly fickle fans are just making a noise.

However, who knows what's happening...?!

Ok. I just find it difficult to believe that ST is using United to fund his future emigration. My guess is that our particularly fickle fans are just making a noise.

However, who knows what's happening...?!

Like I say, no idea!

The idea of Thompson syphoning wads of cash from the club is probably a world away from the reality. Is everything okay? Probably not, but that is why I go back to lack of communication. Not that they have to say anything but a bold and forthright statement could put many (not all) of the rumours to bed quickly. It won't happen though, and the circus will continue.

Archived