Dundee United 2015/16 Season

I'm aware there is an element of risk in all of our signings. I don't think any of them are guaranteed successes (apart from Nick Ross who is no world beater but generally accepted as a handy player at this level). Show me a post where I am creaming about our new signings please?

On paper I think we are stronger than the start of last year - we've not lost any players of note and have added to the squad. On that basis, combined with my perceived weakening of teams such as Partick, Dundee Utd, Hamilton, caley etc I am cautiously optimistic about consolidating our place in the season ahead.

I'd be interested to see where you think he has done "alright" in the past. His most prolific spell came over a 2 season stint at Sturm Graz where he managed 23 matches and 9 goals over 2 seasons. He then scored 9 in 52 games at OB over 2 seasons in a Danish league regarded as inferior to Scottish football.

That's 18 goals over 4 seasons at his best. 4.5 goals a season average. He's a striker!

Comparisons with ciftci are moot here, ciftci had barely played first team football and was a young player, this boy is 26!

Jackie has said he caught his eye in Holland. I.e in training and friendlies. Big gamble on a player never seen in a competitive environment to be billed as your main striker.

My point isn't the players you've bought - no one knows anything much about them (I include your manager in that), it's the way your support are being toyed with to keep them sweet I find entertaining.

"Honest we were going to spend £250k for a proven premier league striker but this guy we've seen in training and on YouTube is much better and free!!"

I understand you are excited about new blood (exotic names as well) but I'm also highly amused you can't/won't see the modus operandi from baldy snake HQ.

84082208.jpg

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deflector shields fully engaged GPS?

Fair do's - I'll leave you to it.

Eh? What am I deflecting??

To clarify, I have absolutely no idea what ST's plans for the club are - a position I'm certain you are also in. So, bearing in mind you only deal with facts, tell us what is to happen with United? No conjecture, no opinion and no guessing - just facts...

To clarify, I have absolutely no idea what ST's plans for the club are - a position I'm certain you are also in. So, bearing in mind you only deal with facts, tell us what is to happen with United? No conjecture, no opinion and no guessing - just facts...

FFS man, don't encourage the boring cunt.

My point isn't the players you've bought - no one knows anything much about them (I include your manager in that), it's the way your support are being toyed with to keep them sweet I find entertaining.

"Honest we were going to spend £250k for a proven premier league striker but this guy we've seen in training and on YouTube is much better and free!!"

I understand you are excited about new blood (exotic names as well) but I'm also highly amused you can't/won't see the modus operandi from baldy snake HQ.

I'll ignore the majority and concentrate on your main point.

When has anyone from the club said they were going to spend £250k for a proven premier league striker, or any amount of money, for any player in any position?

If you can't decipher the difference between newspapers making stuff up and the club's position, that's your problem.

No United fan I know gets a hard-on for splashing out cash on players - that appears to be a phenomenon of those across the road.

Deflection is the act of ignoring the question or points posed and trying to change the subject - I lay out a detailed post of my opinion as a casual observer of the goings on at Utd - you come back with - "BUT DunDEE haD 2 Adminz LoL"

I can't predict the future so I'm afraid I can't tell you the future of your club.

The facts as they stand are you sold your best player, kiddied on you were going to re-invest in proven quality, fan opinion mellowed after a couple of rumoured bids and token bids that were never gonna be accepted for said players, then, out of the blue, sign a player (maybe 2) on a free transfer with no proven Premiership quality, for the 2 positions (CM and ST) you were targeting these marquee signings. Unsurprisingly, not a penny of the Thompson silver is going out as a fee. Of course Jackie wanted the boy he spotted in training/friendlies in Holland above Billy McKay......

Fans are still happy as they now have 2 new exotic names to idolise and it's cost the club snout, cooled fan revolt and relieved a bit of pressure on your manager.

Utd fans are immediately on about "the next Ciftci", "great pedigree", "looks a good finisher on youtube" and refuse to acknowledge his scoring record is poor and it's back to "in Jackie we trust!" This is hilarious considering his recent record with strikers! Ladies and gentleman I give you Simon Murray, Henri Anier and Mario Bilate. Fair fucks if that's what you want to believe, but don't expect me not to have a wee chuckle to myself about it. If you don't like it, ignore me.

You are biting because you all have a wee doubt in your mind about Thompsons motives, you all worry about Jackies eye for a player (particularly defenders and strikers) and you know your chairman is a clever, devious and, when required - particularly when it comes to protecting his money (#bitegate) - an out and out liar.

I'm more upbeat than a few weeks ago because, then Ciftci was clearly on his way out which was always going to disappoint, no matter how obvious, and it seemed Jackie was happy with the squad, which any of us could see needed 2/3 key additions.

From what Jackie has said, it's clear that he rates this new forward, and with Muirhead and Bilate competing with him, I'm more than happy with that as options up front.

Donaldson was a key buy for me - he's very comfortable with the ball at his feet, which will make a huge difference to having the leaden footed Morris and Fojut at the back last season. Add to that, that Paton and Rankin are clearly on the way out, of the team if not the squad, we might actually see the team pass the ball about a bit!

Looking at the squad as is, after I've picked my strongest XI, we could have young talents like Telfer, Fraser, Spittal, Muirhead, Connolly, Coote and Spark competing for spots on the bench - that's very promising.

I'll ignore the majority and concentrate on your main point.

When has anyone from the club said they were going to spend £250k for a proven premier league striker, or any amount of money, for any player in any position?

If you can't decipher the difference between newspapers making stuff up and the club's position, that's your problem.

No United fan I know gets a hard-on for splashing out cash on players - that appears to be a phenomenon of those across the road.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/dundee-united/wigan-athletic-reject-second-dundee-united-bid-for-billy-mckay-1.889881

Common knowledge Wigan wanted their money back on McKay (circa £250k) - Utd throw in 2 bids to get the juices of fans flowing knowing fine well they wouldn't be accepted. The article states Utd were willing to go as high as 6 figures. That implies (but can't be taken as fact I grant you) that Utd's bids fell below that 6 figure threshold.It is therefore a fair comment to class that as a token bid.

Deflection is the act of ignoring the question or points posed and trying to change the subject - I lay out a detailed post of my opinion as a casual observer of the goings on at Utd - you come back with - "BUT DunDEE haD 2 Adminz LoL"

I can't predict the future so I'm afraid I can't tell you the future of your club.

The facts as they stand are you sold your best player, kiddied on you were going to re-invest in proven quality, fan opinion mellowed after a couple of rumoured bids and token bids that were never gonna be accepted for said players, then, out of the blue, sign a player (maybe 2) on a free transfer with no proven Premiership quality, for the 2 positions (CM and ST) you were targeting these marquee signings. Unsurprisingly, not a penny of the Thompson silver is going out as a fee. Of course Jackie wanted the boy he spotted in training/friendlies in Holland above Billy McKay......

Fans are still happy as they now have 2 new exotic names to idolise and it's cost the club snout, cooled fan revolt and relieved a bit of pressure on your manager.

Utd fans are immediately on about "the next Ciftci", "great pedigree", "looks a good finisher on youtube" and refuse to acknowledge his scoring record is poor and it's back to "in Jackie we trust!" This is hilarious considering his recent record with strikers! Ladies and gentleman I give you Simon Murray, Henri Anier and Mario Bilate. Fair fucks if that's what you want to believe, but don't expect me not to have a wee chuckle to myself about it. If you don't like it, ignore me.

You are biting because you all have a wee doubt in your mind about Thompsons motives, you all worry about Jackies eye for a player (particularly defenders and strikers) and you know your chairman is a clever, devious and, when required - particularly when it comes to protecting his money (#bitegate) - an out and out liar.

Mate, you're getting your knickers in a twist about things that shouldn't even concern you! There's no deflection, no conspiracies on our board and certainly no over excitement at our new signing.

Is there nothing happening at dens to keep you occupied? A defeat at Brechin not concerning you more than events at Tannadice?

Still waiting for those facts though...

Deefiant has probably written more words regarding United on this thread than most arabs. I am loving the standard multiple paragraph responses, keep them coming, they make for great reading...

Mate, you're getting your knickers in a twist about things that shouldn't even concern you! There's no deflection, no conspiracies on our board and certainly no over excitement at our new signing.

Is there nothing happening at dens to keep you occupied? A defeat at Brechin not concerning you more than events at Tannadice?

Still waiting for those facts though...

My knickers are untwisted. Merely providing my perspective on the current events at tannadice from a non Tangerine tinted viewpoint.

In short no nothing going on at Dens. We did our business early as you know which has made for a slow few weeks. It has meant our squad have a full preseason together though so happy enough with that.

Nice wee deflection but I'm about as worried about a defeat to Brechin in pre season as I was excited about beating Man city last season. Means f**k all. 90 mins in the legs. Equally if we win or lose 5-0 tonight I'll remain untroubled. Sorry to disappoint.

Deefiant has probably written more words regarding United on this thread than most arabs. I am loving the standard multiple paragraph responses, keep them coming, they make for great reading...

Aye he writes an essey everytime he replies. He genuinely seems worried about dundee utd

My knickers are untwisted. Merely providing my perspective on the current events at tannadice from a non Tangerine tinted viewpoint.

In short no nothing going on at Dens. We did our business early as you know which has made for a slow few weeks. It has meant our squad have a full preseason together though so happy enough with that.

Nice wee deflection but I'm about as worried about a defeat to Brechin in pre season as I was excited about beating Man city last season. Means f**k all. 90 mins in the legs. Equally if we win or lose 5-0 tonight I'll remain untroubled. Sorry to disappoint.

"From a non tangerine tinted viewpoint"

Hardly a neutral source though my friend

I'm a Scottish football fan with a strong interest in the Dundee clubs.

Unfortunately for you I also have a job in an industry that is currently dying on its arse which has left me decidedly underemployed and demotivated with constant computer and internet access while I'm at work between 6:30AM and 5:30PM

Today has been passing much quicker thanks to this thread and the posters within. I thank you all.

Archived