St Johnstone in Europe 2015/16

Steve McQueen

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should be up to the authorities in each city to decide if they can handle two matches on the same night, or afternoon if they were ok with staggered kick offs, not UEFA.

Also, what's wrong with one of the games being moved to the Wednesday night? Their cash cow Champions League clubs aren't playing yet so there wouldn't be any clash.

The whole things a total farce.

Quick google check there.

They still play in the Bosnian top flight at a stadium still bearing damage from the 92-96 war. They played hearts in 2004-05 UEFA cup qualifying

Actually now that you say that it may have been Artmedia Bratislava that plummeted after their brief foray with fame. Not that I can be arsed to check.

Think I was on the wind up to a Celtic fan finding obscure teams that pumped them out of Europe that have went into Oblivion. Neuchatel Xamax who pumped them about 5-0 are another who have went into the doldrums.

Read the St Johnstone chairman saying it would cost them a six figure sum to get to their away game. Does UEFA publish what money they give to clubs in the earliest stage of competitions. There are teams that are part time at these stages surely for some it would be too much if they had to pay that much to travel. Have never seen an example of a club withdraw due to cost so can only presume there is not much of a loss if at all if part timers can manage it in even more remote places.

200,000€ less what ever the delegate classes as poor organisation! With today's exchange rate it's just over £140,000.

If you get a local draw it's cash for nothing it's going to be very expensive for teams from the East to come West as well.

Read the St Johnstone chairman saying it would cost them a six figure sum to get to their away game. Does UEFA publish what money they give to clubs in the earliest stage of competitions. There are teams that are part time at these stages surely for some it would be too much if they had to pay that much to travel. Have never seen an example of a club withdraw due to cost so can only presume there is not much of a loss if at all if part timers can manage it in even more remote places.

Steve Brown probably claims he has a bullet wound when he gets a paper clip

A couple of teams pulled out last season due to financial reasons.

Go Ahead Eagles were second in the Dutch fair play league and the winners did not apply for a licence in part due to having to start in round 1. I'd hate the competition to turn into the inter toto cup (which I know the early rounds replace) where half the eligible teams turned down the chance to play each year.

Given that he's charging £950 to fans for a seat on the plane he could get a fair bit of that back.

It should be up to the authorities in each city to decide if they can handle two matches on the same night, or afternoon if they were ok with staggered kick offs, not UEFA.

Also, what's wrong with one of the games being moved to the Wednesday night? Their cash cow Champions League clubs aren't playing yet so there wouldn't be any clash.

The whole things a total farce.

It's UEFA policy that EL city clashes are solved by reversal of legs in the first instance, and movement of one game to Tuesday (I think whichever was drawn later) in the second instance e.g. if there are 3 teams playing out of the same city.

Personally I'd do it the other way around, but it would still have lead to a different date for the away game regardless.

They won't leave it to local authorities to decide, probably as they wouldn't trust a lot of them or they'd just say "depends who makes it through".

Given that he's charging £950 to fans for a seat on the plane he could get a fair bit of that back.

To be fair, the £950 gets you more than just on the plane, it's your hotel and transfers as well. But yeah, they'll get £70,000 back if all the spaces are taken. Have to assume some of the other 60 passengers will be paying their own way as well.

Yes the press all pay their own way (their employers) so that's another 5 or 6 but the rest of the seats will be the team, directors, back up such as TC and Bruce and the youth players to help them with kit, plus Ross for Social media and the club photographer from the Perthshire Picture Agency.

Yes the press all pay their own way (their employers) so that's another 5 or 6 but the rest of the seats will be the team, directors, back up such as TC and Bruce and the youth players to help them with kit, plus Ross for Social media and the club photographer from the Perthshire Picture Agency.

Bruce MC Alpine is a legend on the door at Saints, good mate of my old man, saved my bacon at a Saints v Dundee league cup game in the mid eighties, let me slip out onto the Dunkeld Road and do one before the arresting officer reappeared

It's only covering costs as far as I'm aware. No profit from the charter.

Not profit as such, but I would imagine it will subsidise the costs of sending the team, staff and assorted hangers on out there, thus saving the club some of the 200,000 Euros they get from UEFA.

Left hoping there is gonna be some kind of stream I can watch this on. Can't imagine BBC wanting to give us a match day commentator when Aberdeen are also playing.

There won't be any hangers on with Saints. Your either staff or pay. That's the way it works and it gets results.

That's good. Hope non essential people for the game like Directors and their families have to pay too, they can usually afford it more easily than your average fan.

Archived