If you could sign 3 players....

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Eoin Jess - easily the first pick though not neccessarily what we need

2. Peter Kjaer

3. Anderson

Honourable mentions for McNaughton & Heikennen

Darren Randolph. Up there with Sieb Dijkstra as the best 'keeper i've seen at Fir Park in my time.

Ross McCormack. I don't think we appreciated just how good he was during his time with us.

Michael Higdon. Give him the ball and he'll score...

Stevie May. Obviously.

MoMo Sylla - a creative maverick that we could really do with in our squad

Michael Duberry - he was unbelievable for us, both on and off the park

I can't think of any player from the last 15 years who would be a big improvement on what we have. We really have been a shambles for over 30 years.

You were gone as long as I've been watching Scottish football. What exactly happened? Weren't you pulling big crowds as recently as the 70s?

I can't think of any player from the last 15 years who would be a big improvement on what we have. We really have been a shambles for over 30 years.

Taylor, Higginbotham and O'Donnell. :whistle

You were gone as long as I've been watching Scottish football. What exactly happened? Weren't you pulling big crowds as recently as the 70s?

Simple answer, we stopped producing players. In the seventies and early eighties Roughie, John Hansen, Ronnie Glavin, Jimmy Bone, Alan Hansen, Joe Craig, Alex Forsyth, Billy Thomson Mo Johnston all Started at Thistle and got caps for Scotland along with a stack of others who got u23 and league select games. Since then we've hardly brought through anyone good enough for the Premier League.

Graham Dorrans would be a big improvement tbh,

Simple answer, we stopped producing players. In the seventies and early eighties Roughie, John Hansen, Ronnie Glavin, Jimmy Bone, Alan Hansen, Joe Craig, Alex Forsyth, Billy Thomson Mo Johnston all Started at Thistle and got caps for Scotland along with a stack of others who got u23 and league select games. Since then we've hardly brought through anyone good enough for the Premier League.

So why is that?

So why is that?

Many factors. An unbelievable succession of brutal managers during the 80s, when we did find a good one in the early 90s (Lambie) he couldn't have cared less about the youth set up and was very much (successfully) focused on the short term. Combine that with subsequent financial difficulties and we've had no 'youth' setup worthy of the name for much of that time. We've now been outflanked by bigger and/or better youth setups in and around Glasgow that are probably more extensive than they were 30 years ago. We're finally starting to potentially develop a decent setup with the assistance of the Weirs, who have been careful to make sure any investment they make is specifically for youth/community development and not for the first team.

I can't think of any player from the last 15 years who would be a big improvement on what we have. We really have been a shambles for over

30 years.

I work with a number of thistle fans , we got speaking recently about what our respective clubs had achieved in our lifetime! ( 30 years ) It was really a one sided conversation!

Umpteen cup semi's, league cup final, Scottish cup winners, top 6 5 years running and Europe 5 times! Not a dig at thistle but puts into perspective how tough some fans have had it and how fortunate us saints fans have been!

I work with a number of thistle fans , we got speaking recently about what our respective clubs had achieved in our lifetime! ( 30 years ) It was really a one sided conversation!

Umpteen cup semi's, league cup final, Scottish cup winners, top 6 5 years running and Europe 5 times! Not a dig at thistle but puts into perspective how tough some fans have had it and how fortunate us saints fans have been!

It's the last 5 years that have really pushed St Johnstone ahead of us (and most teams in Scotland). Most successful period in your history, I'd guess?

I also seem to remember St Johnstone having a couple of really good seasons in the late 90s and playing Monaco in Europe, but other than that, you were a yo-yo club much like ourselves. Or at least one who have spent a good few years with us in the 2nd tier...

Would bite your hand off for a European campaign, though, let alone 5. :(

Goes without saying, a major trophy and 4 consecutive Europa league campaigns!

To be fair we did have success back in the late nineties, cup final, semi final, Europe etc!

Hail George O'Boyle :)

Archived