The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

1 hour ago, Colkitto said:

Not even an emergency loan? 

Loans as such don't exist officially cross border. The player's registration transfers to the new association much in the same way as with a permanent transfer. It's just agreed between the clubs that it will transfer back at the end of the 'loan'.

Fifa recognise it in the same way the do a transfer and therefore it cannot be done outwith a transfer window.

I realise you lot probably don't care but it just occurred to me as to what an outstanding record Duffy has in cup competitions. Granted he's never lifted a cup trophy as a manager but he got us to two finals and several semi finals in his stints with us. Considering our cup record that's pretty decent and now he's got you lot to a semi final for the first time in how long?

10 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I realise you lot probably don't care but it just occurred to me as to what an outstanding record Duffy has in cup competitions. Granted he's never lifted a cup trophy as a manager but he got us to two finals and several semi finals in his stints with us. Considering our cup record that's pretty decent and now he's got you lot to a semi final for the first time in how long?

'Outstanding'? The clue-less fuckwit cost us the Scottish cup in 2003. IMO.

15 hours ago, Scosha said:

Duffy said last week after we signed Gunning that he was still looking to strengthen up front. We're not exactly going to be short of cash to get anyone in either now.

Makes Duffy's comments quite bizarre then. Where is he looking for players given we can only sign a loan within Scotland for 93 days or a player who's not even playing at the moment? 

He's made an absolute mess of the close season transfers. No doubt about it.

I'm not a pessimistic as I was a couple of weeks ago. Gunning looks a very decent signing albeit he comes with a warning sign. The defense now has enough cover and is probably the strongest part of the team now.

Midfield is not too bad either although I would have been happier with at least another signing in there.

Up front Oliver  has shown a bit of form and Quitongo has stepped up to the plate. But we simply have no cover up there. Even one addition would make all the difference

No loans outside the transfer window across countries: not even sure if it is still possible within Scotland.

This is why a competent manager puts his squad together during the summer, instead of deploying a 'wait and see... sign some ringers' approach to the transfer market.