The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

27 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Reece Lyon signs for us , thoughts 🤔🤔

Should be a very good signing.

Never worked out at Morton but that wasn't down to ability IMO.

Seemed to have cruised League 2, wouldn't be surprised if he does similar in League 1.

1st game should be interesting with Tidser, Oware, McCluskey and now Lyon coming up against their old club.

53 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Reece Lyon signs for us , thoughts 🤔🤔

Echoing what Madton said, he is a good player but stopped caring in the last parts of his time at the club. Seemed to argue his way out of the club as well.

But he is a good player and I'm sure he'll walk through L1 with ease.

On 28/06/2023 at 01:42, TONTROOPER said:

Total pish and you know its total pish.

Tickets can ALWAYS be bought on match-day at the ticket-office on Sinclair St.

I was referring to the use of Fanbase only. Tickets for Cappielow can be bought via Greenock Morton on Fanbase (I did not mean to imply that this was the only option for Cappielow tickets). However, if Morton are away from home, then tickets can't be purchased via Greenock Morton on Fanbase. If the home team uses Fanbase, tickets must be purchased via that team's schedule on Fanbase (or by pay at the gate / ticket office if that option is available). Fanbase can't be used to purchase tickets for Morton away matches if the home team is not on Fanbase (e.g. Alloa). 

Morton totally dominating the game at Alloa so far but 1-0 down against the run of play.

Goal lost from a corner which wasn't dealt with in the strong wind. In the end up looked almost like a free header. Not sure if everyone misjudged the flight of the ball but a poor goal to lose nonetheless.

We have a trialist RB who's been involved in the game but his distribution is absolutely awful. Lost count of the misplaced passes from him.

Our new keeper made a good catch early on but spilt a fierce shot. Didn't look too good at the goal either but no one did to be honest.

Jai has  the Alloa LB in his pocket but we need a better end ball from him. 

Not great, but really does not matter. 

Thought the RB in the first half was okay, but incredibly raw. Anyone we recruit for that position is going to be a downgrade, but we’ll need better than that. Hopefully King at LB is just temporary too

I thought the number 12 played well in the first half. Tried to get forward when he couod and linked up well with Jai.

The wee number 11 was very good. Always looking for the ball, good in possession and could play a pass. 

Doyle was Doyle. Lots of energy but very little in terms of attacking productivity.

Mullen looked a bit ropey to me. Spilt a shot and should have done better with the goal.

51 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Decent enough performances from all of the trialists IMO. Doyle (yes, it was him) and the wee short lad stood out.

Need more signings desperately, though.

We don't need anything to be done desperately.  We have the core of last seasons side retained and have the time and available resources to add to the squad. I'd be hopeful we have a couple of new faces in for the St. Mirren game but wouldn't be surprised if we have targets in mind and have to wait until closer to the season starting I.e. loan signings or players who have played at a higher level.

35 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

I thought the number 12 played well in the first half. Tried to get forward when he couod and linked up well with Jai.

The wee number 11 was very good. Always looking for the ball, good in possession and could play a pass. 

Doyle was Doyle. Lots of energy but very little in terms of attacking productivity.

Mullen looked a bit ropey to me. Spilt a shot and should have done better with the goal.

The young lad who played in midfield is definitely worth another look at. Very technically gifted and used the ball really well. 

1 hour ago, Colkitto said:

The young lad who played in midfield is definitely worth another look at. Very technically gifted and used the ball really well. 

Aye agreed, thought he did very well.

Reminded me of Billy Gilmour, not comparing quality obviously!

Hopefully gets another run out on Tuesday.

A composed midfielder who can put his foot on the ball, keep it and get it moving is something I felt we needed and thought the wee man did all of that.

6 minutes ago, madton said:

Aye agreed, thought he did very well.

Reminded me of Billy Gilmour, not comparing quality obviously!

Hopefully gets another run out on Tuesday.

A composed midfielder who can put his foot on the ball, keep it and get it moving is something I felt we needed and thought the wee man did all of that.

Was the lad Frankie Deane ? Just been released by Burnley

Today didn't really tell us anything we don't already know: decent core, but desperately in need of a right-back and someone who can play wide left... and ongoing questions about how we'll end up in the goalkeeping department.

Don't think the RB trialist is anywhere near it (Doyle looked more assured than him, and I wouldn't want Doyle as anything other than emergency back-up).*

Have to say if Broadfoot was in the same boat as Doyle, I'd be saying 'no thanks'.

Wee guy in centre-mid in the 2nd half (Frankie Deane, apparently) looked every inch what he is: someone who's benefitted from elite coaching all through his youth development years. A lot to like, but you have to wonder how close a boy of eighteen with that physique is to playing any credible role in Championship football.

As for our own youth, King is going to make it; Garrity isn't... time to move him on (as above, we need another first-choice in that position and King can play there if needed).

* Edited to add: just found out the RB was also 18, so hardly surprising he looked raw; again, the question is what role there is in a brutally competitive Championship for 'potential'...

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Today didn't really tell us anything we don't already know: decent core, but desperately in need of a right-back and someone who can play wide left... and ongoing questions about how we'll end up in the goalkeeping department.

Don't think the RB trialist is anywhere near it (Doyle looked more assured than him, and I wouldn't want Doyle as anything other than emergency back-up).*

Have to say if Broadfoot was in the same boat as Doyle, I'd be saying 'no thanks'.

Wee guy in centre-mid in the 2nd half (Frankie Deane, apparently) looked every inch what he is: someone who's benefitted from elite coaching all through his youth development years. A lot to like, but you have to wonder how close a boy of eighteen with that physique is to playing any credible role in Championship football.

As for our own youth, King is going to make it; Garrity isn't... time to move him on (as above, we need another first-choice in that position and King can play there if needed).

* Edited to add: just found out the RB was also 18, so hardly surprising he looked raw; again, the question is what role there is in a brutally competitive Championship for 'potential'...

Was thinking the same. The Championship is a physical league. But in saying that the lad wasn't bullied off the ball today. He's definitely worth another look.

Wasn't impressed at all with the RB. I'd rather have Doyle if  that was the choice

Apologies if this has already come up, but United are being linked with Brian Schwake apparently. He any good for you guys? Is he one of these keepers that attempts to keep shots from going in the net that I’ve heard so much about?

5 minutes ago, dregs 83 said:

Apologies if this has already come up, but United are being linked with Brian Schwake apparently. He any good for you guys? Is he one of these keepers that attempts to keep shots from going in the net that I’ve heard so much about?

He’s alright, but young and prone to errors. Nothing like the scale that you were subjected to last season but my main issue was that there was no cover to take him out of the firing line when he had a crisis of confidence.

I suspect that playing in front of a fanbase as angry as your lot after last season’s debacle might not be the best move for him the minute he does make a mistake, as I don’t see sympathy for a goalkeeper being in plentiful supply. If you bring him in, I’d advise having adequate cover to take him out when need be, which might be your main problem.

36 minutes ago, Toby said:

He’s alright, but young and prone to errors. Nothing like the scale that you were subjected to last season but my main issue was that there was no cover to take him out of the firing line when he had a crisis of confidence.

I suspect that playing in front of a fanbase as angry as your lot after last season’s debacle might not be the best move for him the minute he does make a mistake, as I don’t see sympathy for a goalkeeper being in plentiful supply. If you bring him in, I’d advise having adequate cover to take him out when need be, which might be your main problem.

Cheers for that, sounds like one that would be good for the future, but definitely not what’s needed right now!