The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Two of our attacking options being 28 year olds who've never played in Scotland before is certainly a gamble, but all our signings have to be and if casting the net wider is how we find that extra bit of quality now other clubs have started circling to pick off our successes with cast offs from other Championship clubs, so be it. At least we're now in a position to look outside Scotland when there are no known quantities good enough in our price range rather than signing Ally Roy or Steven Boyd and hoping for the best.

His scoring record suggests he's primarily there to create goals rather than score them, but we need additions to do both so no issues with that.

6 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Two of our attacking options being 28 year olds who've never played in Scotland before is certainly a gamble, but all our signings have to be and if casting the net wider is how we find that extra bit of quality now other clubs have started circling to pick off our successes with cast offs from other Championship clubs, so be it. At least we're now in a position to look outside Scotland when there are no known quantities good enough in our price range rather than signing Ally Roy or Steven Boyd and hoping for the best.

His scoring record suggests he's primarily there to create goals rather than score them, but we need additions to do both so no issues with that.

Well hopefully he can create and Davies can still  finish in this league.

Our record of signing players from down south is absolutely rotten, so I must admit that this one gives me the fear. Casting the net wider also reminds me too much of the 13/14 season. 

Obviously I'm just speaking from painful experiences and this is no reflection on Lamar himself, but this type of signing does worry me. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

Our record of signing players from down south is absolutely rotten, so I must admit that this one gives me the fear. Casting the net wider also reminds me too much of the 13/14 season. 

Obviously I'm just speaking from painful experiences and this is no reflection on Lamar himself, but this type of signing does worry me. 

Would mostly agree but the grounds for reasonable hope is if Imrie has been significantly involved in the recruitment process. Not interested in the board/chairman trying to do a Moneyball effort this summer though. 

Edited by vikingTON

Wow... about time we signed somebody called Lamar.

I'm seeing he set up the other goal in their FA Cup win over now-promoted Ipswich, so there 's that... but the overall scoring record suggests he's been signed for pace out wide as much as for goals. Also appears comfortable with both feet.

Interesting times...

2 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

Yeah if we end up with 6 or 7 out of a squad of 18 or 19 being this kind of gamble then it will have far too much of a Morton 13/14 or Falkirk 18/19 vibe for comfort, but for now I'm fine with it and Imrie has also earned trust with his recruitment to date that he can pull this off.

1 hour ago, gmfc said:

Ffs for one close season let's stop knicker wetting  and trust Dougie 

I don't think it's really knicker wetting.  We had a honking beginning and end to last season and have since lost key players.  I think concerns are valid.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yeah if we end up with 6 or 7 out of a squad of 18 or 19 being this kind of gamble then it will have far too much of a Morton 13/14 or Falkirk 18/19 vibe for comfort, but for now I'm fine with it and Imrie has also earned trust with his recruitment to date that he can pull this off.

3 hours ago, virginton said:

Would mostly agree but the grounds for reasonable hope is if Imrie has been significantly involved in the recruitment process. Not interested in the board/chairman trying to do a Moneyball effort this summer though. 

Yeah, I trust Imrie more than most with making these types of signings. He's interested in players who are committed and we made it clear that we'd be doing the background work on these guys. He comfortably stepped up from the Juniors as a player, and he seems to have an eye for players who have something about them in a similar way. 

Still doesn't stop me having some sort of trauma response to these sorts of signings though. 

Edited by SpoonTon

I don’t have a clue about this boy other than he’s quick. He’s been mediocre at best ar a truly rancid level of football, but I still have faith in Imrie to elevate players he sees something in, which will hopefully be the case here. 

As others have said, if all our signings are like this then we’re in real bother, but we need to take at least a couple of gambles in our position.

9 hours ago, LargsTON said:

I don't think it's really knicker wetting.  We had a honking beginning and end to last season and have since lost key players.  I think concerns are valid.

It's the line between concern and fatalism though. Asking how we avoid getting worse when we were in relegation form for two thirds of the season and are losing the two players who were arguably most important to the third of title winning form that ultimately made us safe is a reasonable question, but having us relegated already when we're not even out of May yet and Imrie has built squads full of gambles before is way over the top.

It's true that dipping into England and Wales are pretty much entirely new approaches with the exception of Bearne, but much of the spine of the team who've given us two consecutive 5th place finishes could be called gambles as well, they were pretty much all rejects from other Championship clubs who had Morton as a last resort for playing at this level.

Baird was an Ayr reject. Gillespie and Quitongo were Queen's Park rejects with neither of them having played Championship football in years. Crawford was a Partick reject who had failed to win a contract on trial with other clubs and was still clubless in August. Ambrose and Wilson were Dunfermline rejects with Wilson then being allowed to go out on loan by League One Queen of the South. Oakley was an Inverness reject who was released in January.

None of those players were seen as sure things when we signed them, they all came as a risk and they all comfortably outperformed expectations. Obviously it doesn't mean Imrie can turn players with absolutely nothing about them into footballers as proven by Steven Boyd, Tyler French and Ally Roy, but the good comfortably outweighs the bad and that's enough reason to trust him.

11 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Baird was an Ayr reject. Gillespie and Quitongo were Queen's Park rejects with neither of them having played Championship football in years. Crawford was a Partick reject who had failed to win a contract on trial with other clubs and was still clubless in August. Ambrose and Wilson were Dunfermline rejects with Wilson then being allowed to go out on loan by League One Queen of the South. Oakley was an Inverness reject who was released in January.

None of those players were seen as sure things when we signed them, they all came as a risk and they all comfortably outperformed expectations. Obviously it doesn't mean Imrie can turn players with absolutely nothing about them into footballers as proven by Steven Boyd, Tyler French and Ally Roy, but the good comfortably outweighs the bad and that's enough reason to trust him.

Yeah, this. Wikipedia pages often paint a false picture of what's to come (see Garry O'Connor, George Oakley etc.)

We've had our fair share of duds from down South but there's been some Luca Colville, Oisin McEntee, even Jimmy Knowles for a few games before his injury that have proved useful and that was with Hopkin and McPherson in charge of them. Looking forward to seeing what Dougie can get out of these players.

Good summary by Dunning there.

Im all in for 1 or two left field gambles. Ayr picked up a couple of nuggets from down south recently, albeit, also picked up a couple of absolute ringers. As long as its not half the team, I'm all for it so adding some players who know the league is Important and I'm sure Imrie is talking to players every day.

Fully understand the panic/concern in some but until we see the squad Imrie builds, I'll reserve judgement. By all  accounts, we offered very good money to Oakley, Crawford etc, that money will be used elsewhere to bring in good players.

I think Morton missed a trick by not having 1 or 2 good players lined up on pre contracts to soften the blow of a couple of our better players moving on.  Think most of us accepted they were moving before it actually happened,  so if we had a few good pre contracts lined up, there wouldn't be as much concern within the fanbase and we would have probably shifted plenty more season tickets.  

Come the start of July, I'd like to think we are in a much better place!

Understand someone else was in renewing their contract late yesterday so hopefully hear who that is today.

I do hope people take my posts on this subject in the good humour that they're intended. I'm in no way panicking. I'm certainly realistic about the position we're in, but I'm always hopeful anyway. 

We can almost put out a full starting 11 of some description now, so there's something.