Cardonald Park

McKenna Park is on the site of the old 50 pitches. By co-incidence the team that played most of their games on the position of the Ants pitch was Sligo Celtic who played in green and white hoops. They attracted good crowds during evening matches in Spring and one of their players ,John Spencer, went on to sign for Celtic playing a few games for the first team if I remember correctly. Alex Ferguson was born in a house just a few yards from McKenna Park.

I agree that the Ants keep the pitch and facility well and enjoyed my visits there. Perhaps a wee bit of cover would help.

Tinto

Thank you Cotter. I am a mine of useless information !.

Cardonald Park is the area between Shieldhall Road West and the railway line at Cardonald. The motorway lies on top of most of Cardonald Park now.

Thank you Cotter. I am a mine of useless information !.

Cardonald Park is the area between Shieldhall Road West and the railway line at Cardonald. The motorway lies on top of most of Cardonald Park now.

Well you've certainly propped this thread up bud....so just don't pit yourself doon. :)

McKenna Park is on the site of the old 50 pitches. By co-incidence the team that played most of their games on the position of the Ants pitch was Sligo Celtic who played in green and white hoops. They attracted good crowds during evening matches in Spring and one of their players ,John Spencer, went on to sign for Celtic playing a few games for the first team if I remember correctly. Alex Ferguson was born in a house just a few yards from McKenna Park.

I agree that the Ants keep the pitch and facility well and enjoyed my visits there. Perhaps a wee bit of cover would help.

Tinto

Here's the old 50 pitches that were on the site of McKenna Park.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126715828@N06/18714415462/sizes/o/

Excellent picture which I used in my book.

The Ants ground is situated in the top right hand corner of the picture and Alex Ferguson was born not far from that pitch in a house on Shieldhall Road. The changing rooms(green corrugated iron) were down on the bottom right of the picture; pretty Spartan no lights and no floor.

The only water was a cast iron well where the players would queue up at the end of the matches to scrape out the grit from their legs.

Alex Ferguson said on his Bens visit that when he played at the 50 pitches they had an evening match; When it got dark after the game he came out with someone else's underpants on. A few times each season a goalie would get hurt with balls hitting them from the pitch behind; there were no nets.

Tradeston Holmlea who played games at the 50 pitches on occasions; when they could not get Plantation Park; won the Scottish Juvenile Cup.

Queen's Park once sent a team down to play Harmony Row as a thank you for providing some decent players.

Tinto

Archived