Winchburgh tunnel

I see it closes tomorrow, so the fastest Edinburgh-Glasgow train line will be shortened for 6 weeks.

-Edinburgh-Glasgow line to terminate at Linlithgow, so through passengers must use slower trains and Falkirk or Croy to Edinburgh passengers to Edinburgh must change at Linlithgow

-Stirling-Edinburgh line will run but diverted via the forth rail bridge and missing out Edinburgh park, services will take 25 minutes longer

Any P&Bers going to be affected by the disruption?

I wonder if they will offer a discount on fairs due to the inconvenience caused

Its for improvements made to the line, why should they offer a discount?

If they let the line go into disrepair then the delays would be far greater.

I see it closes tomorrow, so the fastest Edinburgh-Glasgow train line will be shortened for 6 weeks.

-Edinburgh-Glasgow line to terminate at Linlithgow, so through passengers must use slower trains and Falkirk or Croy to Edinburgh passengers to Edinburgh must change at Linlithgow

-Stirling-Edinburgh line will run but diverted via the forth rail bridge and missing out Edinburgh park, services will take 25 minutes longer

Any P&Bers going to be affected by the disruption?

It's probably nothing compared to when Queen street station closes down for 4 months, starting April 2016. Every train that normally stops there will be diverted through either Queen street low level or central low level. Anybody that uses these stations at peak time knows how busy it is already without trying to squeeze even more trains through them.

It will end up as much as a farce trying to get anywhere by train as the commonwealth games was.

It's probably nothing compared to when Queen street station closes down for 4 months, starting April 2016. Every train that normally stops there will be diverted through either Queen street low level or central low level. Anybody that uses these stations at peak time knows how busy it is already without trying to squeeze even more trains through them.

It will end up as much as a farce trying to get anywhere by train as the commonwealth games was.

How the f**k are they going to manage that?

AFAIK there are no lines that pass through both GQS and Glasgow Central, so everything will need to go to the low level, which I'm pretty sure only has one platform

How the f**k are they going to manage that?

AFAIK there are no lines that pass through both GQS and Glasgow Central, so everything will need to go to the low level, which I'm pretty sure only has one platform

Every single train that uses queen St will be diverted through either of the 2 main low level stations. Apparently, a crossover will be built at anniesland to allow trains to go via maryhill and through hyndland.

It's going to be an absolute disaster, with massive delays every day due to trains being terminated before their destinations or running express at the last minute and missing out stations. Glad I don't use the train to get to work tbh.

The Edinburgh to Glasgow line was opened in the 1840s so I can only guess that the Winchburgh tunnel is over 150 years old so probably due a bit of maintenance. The only other Scottish thing I can think of that's 150 years old and still going strong is Stuart Cosgrove.

As an alternative a fleet of hovercrafts along the Union and Forth and Clyde canals would whisk you speedily from Englishtwatburgh to Yes City.

The Edinburgh to Glasgow line was opened in the 1840s so I can only guess that the Winchburgh tunnel is over 150 years old so probably due a bit of maintenance. The only other Scottish thing I can think of that's 150 years old and still going strong is Stuart Cosgrove.

As an alternative a fleet of hovercrafts along the Union and Forth and Clyde canals would whisk you speedily from Englishtwatburgh to Yes City.

Them Victorians knew how to build shit n stuff to last in them days eh?

I like your hovercraft idea but in these cosmopolite & greenergy days surely some sort of gondola system of canal travel would be more suited?

Grimbo

So there's no way I can get a train from Falkrik to Edinburgh in the next few weeks?

Trains are running from Grahamston, but being diverted from about Linlithgow towards South Queensferry and into Edinburgh on that line. Taking about 50mins.

Trains are running from Grahamston, but being diverted from about Linlithgow towards South Queensferry and into Edinburgh on that line. Taking about 50mins.

I was planning to take my bike on the train to Falkirk and cycle back along the Union canal to Edinburgh one day next week. Could end up being a bit crowded.

Archived