Learning to Drive

Just started learning to drive and had my third two hour lesson today. Everything seems to be going well, but I seem to be struggling with clutch control at lower speeds. Especially when turning left/right corners I seem to be coming off the clutch too much when I want to be going a nice controlled speed to be able to take the corner, and I have the same problems at give ways when I always stop completely when I should be creeping forward. It's strange cos I am fine when pulling away from lights etc.

Anyone else have problems with this when just starting out?!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I learned at 17 when i was still at school and passed within 6 months of lessons and going out with my folks. Failed the first test mind you, i was reversing round a corner and someone was driving (albeit at the other side of the road) and i never stopped. Was sure i had passed it and it was a right downer failing but passed second time no bother.

Most the things you are explaining are normal, if you have only been driving for 6 hours then thats pretty normal, you probably think these things are simple when you see someone else driving as it becomes second nature but like everything it takes time.

As you are slightly older it might be different taking things in, if i were to learn something new nowadays i would get stressed and frustrated easily and probably wouldn't take in advice as easily as i did at 17 so you may find it easier or more difficult than i did!

Some people don't learn to drive though and actually can't be taught, i have known a couple of guys that are confident types who managed to get good jobs who actually couldn't be taught, one guy passed at the 7th attempt and even then he was so cagey and nervous behind the wheel, almost couldn't reverse without fucking it up and was just a general embarrassment behind the wheel despite being on about 70 000 as an offshore engineer by the time he was 24!

I also know a guy who had failed his theory test 13 times

Get an automatic with the flappy paddles

It used to be that if you sat your test in an automatic you were restricted to driving automatics.

I'm not sure if that is still the case with semi-automatic types of gearbox which are becoming very popular.

Just started learning to drive and had my third two hour lesson today. Everything seems to be going well, but I seem to be struggling with clutch control at lower speeds. Especially when turning left/right corners I seem to be coming off the clutch too much when I want to be going a nice controlled speed to be able to take the corner, and I have the same problems at give ways when I always stop completely when I should be creeping forward. It's strange cos I am fine when pulling away from lights etc.

Wouldn't worry about it tbh, you'll soon pick it up

Sack your instructor and get a new one. You should already be in the correct gear as you approach a corner.

I learnt and passed in an automatic this year, and as you would expect it's pretty piss easy compared to a manual (although I only had about 5 lessons in a manual but really struggled with the clutch)

I did quite a bit of research before switching to automatic lessons and as long as you will be getting a fairly new car there is hardly any difference in the cars themselves (if at all) anymore when it comes to price, fuel efficiency etc. They also seem to be more and more popular in this country which will of course mean there is more second hand ones in years to come.

It used to be that if you sat your test in an automatic you were restricted to driving automatics.

I'm not sure if that is still the case with semi-automatic types of gearbox which are becoming very popular.

Still true, surely - I have an automatic license - no regrets whatsoever - driving for 12 years, and no problems.

It's the way ahead, kids!

Archived