Yet another US shooting

19 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I'll bet they don't try to burgle anyone's house again.

The getaway driver is facing 3 murder charges, because she was sitting in a car while her fellow conspirators were getting shot. America's weird.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/update-woman-arrested-after-broken-arrow-area-man-fatally-shoots/article_64c15c80-0019-56d6-9322-c1b93c0ff5d0.html

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Baffling that she can be done for murder, aggravated home invasion yes but not murder surely?
Part of me agrees with stand your ground laws in principle but very open to being abused.

If you're involved in a felony where anybody dies, you're guilty of murder. I suppose it avoids "Give it to him" ambiguities. Hunter S Thompson wrote about a case, shortly before he died, where a girl was picked up by a friend who, without her knowing, stopped to rob an off license. He was shot, she was charged with murder and sentenced to life without parole. That's the rough story, tried to google check the details but got led to conspiracy sites about his death instead.

2 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Yeh i get that thats the theory behind it i just fail to see how it applies in these circumstances given the crime of murder might not have been committed if the stand your ground applies.

As I said, America's weird. Whether someone was killed illegally or not doesn't matter, if someone died and you were involved with people attempting to commit a felony, you're guilty of murder.

I wonder if there ever been a similar case in the UK. Obviously no gun involved but a home invasion where the owner beats up or kills the intruders and what the outcome was.

I guess the home owner would get jail time and the lassie probably wouldn't have.

2 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

I wonder if there ever been a similar case in the UK. Obviously no gun involved but a home invasion where the owner beats up or kills the intruders and what the outcome was.

I guess the home owner would get jail time and the lassie probably wouldn't have.

There was a famous case a few years ago where a homeowner shot a couple of lads trying to escape over a fence. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

As I said, America's weird. Whether someone was killed illegally or not doesn't matter, if someone died and you were involved with people attempting to commit a felony, you're guilty of murder.

I have a certain sympathy with that.  If someone is carrying out a robbery and a person dies as a result even if it's not intentional then I think manslaughter is an insufficient charge.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I have a certain sympathy with that.  If someone is carrying out a robbery and a person dies as a result even if it's not intentional then I think manslaughter is an insufficient charge.

Even if the person charged wasn't in the building and their friends doing the burglary were the ones killed?

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Even if the person charged wasn't in the building and their friends doing the burglary were the ones killed?

No, let me be specific.  If someone breaks into a house and the householder dies then the person breaking in should be held fully responsible.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

But remember, the problem isnt selling guns to any idiot on the street. The problem is that the kids didnt have bazooka's and chain fed machine guns to protect themselves