Yet another US shooting

News organisations still seem to be veering away from the homophobic element. BBC news at 10 show plenty of rainbow flags and vigils but it takes them about 15 minutes to mention it - and even then only in passing.

This is a complex incident and it's being politicised to f**k by all sorts - but still, this is an important aspect.

Yip, as someone said yesterday, the people who are screaming about Mateen being an Islamic terrorist and bawling about their second amendment rights are the same people kicking up a shitstorm about marriage equality and transgender toilet signs.

Or surveillance of everyone who legally owns assault rifles?

In theory that would be carried out by police forces, which have their own loose cannon problems.

This is one of the many reasons I changed my mind on immigration and did a complete 360 from supporting mostly open borders to supporting mostly closed borders. I'd rather ban immigration than guns.

Surely if you've done a 360 you're in the same place, facing the same way?  Or did you mean 180?

Turns out Mateen was a regular at the club for years and he had a horrifically homaphobic father, throw in some mental instability and an easy access to automatic weapons......

So basically this guy, which the savage right wants to portray as radical Islamic terrorist immigrant, was in fact a gay, American, lapsed Muslim with severe bi-polar disorder with nothing whatsoever to do with IS.

Really doesn't fit the popular narrative at all that.

There is absolutely no case for keeping a system where mental health goes untreated unless you are rich and handguns are handed out with minimal checks.

There's no case for having handguns freely available at all.

Regarding this attack, the continued focus on the availability of "assault weapons" in the media and this board is still weird. I'm not even sure it's the most effective weapon for carrying out this type of attack. It would probably be the best bet if you are more in the open where people are going to flee and you have room to operate. In a closed space I would want multiple handguns with high capacity magazines.

Erm, am I the only one a little worried by this?

Regarding this attack, the continued focus on the availability of "assault weapons" in the media and this board is still weird. I'm not even sure it's the most effective weapon for carrying out this type of attack. It would probably be the best bet if you are more in the open where people are going to flee and you have room to operate. In a closed space I would want multiple handguns with high capacity magazines.

Anyone who's played GTA Vice City will know you're wrong. For those who know exactly what I'm talking about, you're all horrible, horrible people.

Genuinely one of the most disgusting statements I've ever seen. I have no idea how anyone can come to this type of thinking.

It's lines like these which make it clear Mike is not being entirely serious in his trolling.

There's a big mish-mash of causes/reasons/whatever for what happened.  It's difficult to unpick them all.

Several people have said that this guy used to be a patron of this place and was also a member of various gay dating apps.  His ex-wife said that he liked going out to clubs and nightlife but that she saw no evidence he was homosexual (she says "physical evidence" so presumably they had normal husband-wife relations, which doesn't prove or disprove whether he was gay of course).  He made angry statements to his co-workers about "blacks, Jews, gays and women" and was investigated by the FBI for claiming he knew terrorist suspects.  It turned out he didn't know them and was talking bullshit so the FBI closed their investigation.  Everyone on here will have met angry men who explode in hatred about people different to them and talk bollocks about how hard they are, what they've done etc.

He wasn't particularly religious, beyond going to the mosque for prayers.  No-one, so far, has said that he had radical views.  However, he did phone 911 and say that he was allied to the Islamic state, so he must've thought something of it.  There is research that shows that religiously observant people in the Middle East are LESS likely to support or become involved in the Islamic State.  I think that pledging allegiance to ISIS is kind of an overall "f**k you" angry man statement rather than a considered philosophical position.  A "f**k everything, I hate you mum and dad" tantrum, of the most deadly and vicious kind.  Of course, the hateful, violent ideology and practices of Islamism draw people like Marten to it, that's a major part of it's appeal.  You are kind of a failed, angry young man, possibly conflicted about yourself - f**k everyone!  Pledge allegiance to IS!  Take that world!  The fact that he variously claimed links with or allegiance to Hezbollah, al-Queda and ISIS (all of whom hate each other and are fighting in Syria) suggests he was confused.

That said you cannot deny the fact that Islamism is a problem and that violent Islamist ideology is a threat to people in the USA, in the UK and in Europe.  Marten may have been confused, contradictory and hateful but he did connect himself to extreme Islam.  He attacked gay people and we know that all variations of extreme Islam advocate brutal violence against gay people.  Even more mainstream Islam is strongly intolerant of homosexuality - every Islam-majority country in the Middle East has laws against homosexuality, including several with the death penalty.  To what extent that his homophobia and/or self-hatred fed off this or whether it was the other way around isn't known and probably never will be.

I don't really know what sort of point I'm making but this attack was a toxic mix of his own personal issues, his exposure to Islamic extremism and his ability to obtain weapons.