Hypothetical Question

Given that the major league seasons, (Spain, Germany, EPL), haven't started yet, let's say ICT draw Linfield or a Welsh team, or Linfield draw a Welsh team.

As none of these leagues have started either, is there any reason why the two ties could not be played on a Saturday to assist travelling fans?

My mate in Dublin recons it would be a "No", but why would UEFA not allow this as it would, theoretically, boost crowds and help supporters?

As the ties from qualifying round 1 to 3 are played back to back and there is only one week free between rounds 3 and 4 if you played in a Saturday your opponents in the next round would have less than 5 days to plan the next trip.

While the draw for the 3rd round will be made the day after the first leg of your second round tie they wait until the Friday after the 3rd round to do the draw so the seeding is correct.

UEFA may be awkward on some things but TBH it's lower cost for fans to travel abroad mid week than at weekends anyway.

When UEFA made the adjustments which scrapped the Intertoto Cup and widened and lengthened the Qualifying Rounds a few years ago, their initial plan did allow for matches to be moved to weekends. I recall reading it in a document on the Bert Kassies site (some FAs like Germany, Spain and the Scandinavians tend to upload a lot of UEFA circulars into the public domain).

It was later dropped: Tue-Wed = CL, Thu = EL (+ Tue = EL city clashes).

I reckon that if both clubs asked for special dispensation to play one or both legs at the weekend AND the second leg was played on or before the scheduled date, then UEFA would be fine with it. I don't think you could play on the weekend after it was scheduled though, because that would be too short notice for the next opponent.

Archived