Killer quarries

Some amount of people seem to die swimming in quarries every year. I was just reading an article online about another teen who has cunted it and ended up drowning but they never mention the events that lead to the downing.

Has anyone on P&B ever drowned swimming in a quarry? Should these evil murderous big holes be banned?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some amount of people seem to die swimming in quarries every year. I was just reading an article online about another teen who has cunted it and ended up drowning but they never mention the events that lead to the downing.

Has anyone on P&B ever drowned swimming in a quarry? Should these evil murderous big holes be banned?

If so, could they tell us about it please?

Quarries by their very nature need to be deep. There's some fairly strict design regulations on them nowadays - not so much on the older ones. For example you're supposed to be able to wade out until it's 2m deep before it shelves away. But it will shelve away dramatically then. There's a reason they're always heavily fenced off with "do not swim" signs though. They can be absolutely fantastically deep, and there's no room for error then. They also may look appealing, but that bright blue tinge in limestone quarries is actually a leachate that comes from a chemical reaction in the lime. It can be fairly toxic. In short, don't be an idiot, don't swim in a quarry.

Was there not a story recently about a quarry down south where they put black dye into it as the water was really toxic but people were swimming in it? Think the idea to make it black was to try and discourage folk from partaking in a wee dip

Was there not a story recently about a quarry down south where they put black dye into it as the water was really toxic but people were swimming in it? Think the idea to make it black was to try and discourage folk from partaking in a wee dip

They should just put some alligators in them

I have many people from Rosyth and Inverkeithing as Facebook friends who are all up in arms about the Prestonhill Quarry demanding people sign the petition etc. and I'm showing a great deal of restraint in not typing "If the daft fuckers are arsing about in quarries then what do they expect? A safe environment?"

I have many people from Rosyth and Inverkeithing as Facebook friends who are all up in arms about the Prestonhill Quarry demanding people sign the petition etc. and I'm showing a great deal of restraint in not typing "If the daft fuckers are arsing about in quarries then what do they expect? A safe environment?"

Aye it's absolutely ridiculous, if your to believe passbook then it seems the boy in question was in a fight then got pushed in the quarry.

Massive overreaction.

This is going to sound really simple, but why do they fill quarries with water? Are they disused?

not an expert but I think most quarries will be below the water table so will be 'pumped out' while operational...

Archived