Barcelona shirts outsell Rangers and Celtic tops combined

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/forget-old-firm---spanish-5920198

Interesting - both my nephews have Real Madrid and Barca tops but neither has any interest in Rangers or Celtic, despite growing up in Greater Glasgow.

Will the popularity, glamour and accessibilty of Spanish football have an impact on the support of Scottish teams and if so will it impact the Old Firm disproportionally or will all clubs suffer?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/forget-old-firm---spanish-5920198

Interesting - both my nephews have Real Madrid and Barca tops but neither has any interest in Rangers or Celtic, despite growing up in Greater Glasgow.

Will the popularity, glamour and accessibilty of Spanish football have an impact on the support of Scottish teams and if so will it impact the Old Firm disproportionally or will all clubs suffer?

Barcelona are one of the biggest clubs in the world, Rangers and Celtic are well known but nowhere near the size of the Spanish, English, German teams. Its only natural that the bigger clubs would sell more merchandise.

My lad us turning 5 and learns football with Motherwell's coaches on a Saturday. All the kids bar two wear replica kits of some sort and it's usually Motherwell kits from this season and last, and Barcelona.

Less likely to get a torrent of abuse walking down the street in a Barça top.

Folk don't generally like being subjected to a torrent of abuse whilst walking down the street I find.

I've walked down many streets wearing a Rangers shirt without receiving abuse.

Never seen any Rangers or Celtic fans receive abuse in the street for wearing a shirt either.

Absolutely pish article. As pointed out previously, majority of Celtic and Rangers fans will buy direct from the club. Celtic have club shops in Stirling, Dundee and at least half a dozen in the Glasgow area. Hardly any fans will use retailers. Would Assume sports shops in Manchester and London are saying the exact same.

Also, the new Rangers top is £2 cheaper on the club shop website than JD. In comparison, the Barca top is £8 cheaper on JD than through the club. Not a lot of money but its a factor to consider.

Absolutely pish article. As pointed out previously, majority of Celtic and Rangers fans will buy direct from the club. Celtic have club shops in Stirling, Dundee and at least half a dozen in the Glasgow area. Hardly any fans will use retailers. Would Assume sports shops in Manchester and London are saying the exact same.

Also, the new Rangers top is £2 cheaper on the club shop website than JD. In comparison, the Barca top is £8 cheaper on JD than through the club. Not a lot of money but its a factor to consider.

Christ knows how it stays open - I walked past it every day when I worked in Stirling, and I don't think I ever saw anyone inside but the staff.

Least it's survived longer than the old Rangers store at the other end of the shopping centre, which closed after a couple of years. I'd always thought Stirling was more of a Rangers town too.

Christ knows how it stays open - I walked past it every day when I worked in Stirling, and I don't think I ever saw anyone inside but the staff.

Funnily enough I've never seen anyone there either.

On the high street all the time and very rarely see any football colours.

Archived