The Youth Academy Challenge

RandomGuy.

post-13694-0-32746000-1463590578_thumb.p

Such a shame. Despite dominating the second leg it wasn't to be. Onto next season with positive outlook, but an extremely negative bank balance. Ach, who needs money anyway?

Edited by Big Fifer

• 1 month later...

So it's been a month since I last updated, not much has happened due to exams and holidays taking over.

I didn't screenie it, but the season after qualifying for the play offs was mental. I won the challenge cup, but then went on a disastrous run and was bottom for almost the entirety of the season. Last game of the season, I had to win against the team in 8th and hope the team in 9th didn't win. I did it and stayed up. 

Now onto this season, the table looks like this

post-13694-0-54709600-1467057479_thumb.p

Doing well, and we've qualified for the Scottish Cup quarters. Will post my youth intake and current squad soon.

post-13694-0-36359300-1467057345_thumb.p

Mark Callum looks like a hero.

He is indeed. He was one of the many attacking midfielders in my squad that I had to try and retrain to be a striker because I had grown exhausted of playing an old, shite Stu Leslie.

We finished the season poorly and slumped to 5th after winning 1 in 10 at the end of the season.

This years intake consisted of:

post-13694-0-92406000-1467195898_thumb.p

About half were let go, and half signed on. Hopefully see some of this lot appear in a few seasons time.

My current squad, minus the two keepers:

post-13694-0-93220700-1467195906_thumb.p

ETA: We also had our first cash sale this summer. Chris Creaney, youth intake from only last year, was signed by Rangers for 135k, rising to 300+ based on a whole load of things. 

Edited by Big Fifer

post-13694-0-69954000-1467293310_thumb.p

Our youth intake this year is slim pickings. I can only see myself signing 4/5 of this rabble. A bit annoyed at myself that I didn't put more faith in my decent keepers that came through a couple of years ago as now Eddie Wylde is a bit shit.

In terms of the league, we're doing excellently. Losing the Challenge cup final to lower division Ayr hasn't slowed us down. Aberdeen are steamrolling this league but I hope I can secure second as it means one less round of games in the play offs. I was 15 points clear at one point in second place but that's reduced now, and I can feel the slump taking hold. Lets hope I can secure it in the next few games and rest my players.

post-13694-0-84800200-1467293470_thumb.p

So we coasted into second place with 4 games remaining. I used the remaining games to ensure everyone was match fit for the play off game, and giving some of our kids some game time. A few of them are already looking excellent from last years intake, and will be starting next season. 

It was Dundee that prevailed in the first round of the play offs beating Hamilton 4-2 on aggregate, so to our first leg at Dens where we were 13/2 for the win.

post-13694-0-33595700-1467299305_thumb.p

All in all a good result considering one of the kids I was talking about earlier got sent off in the opening 15. All to play for.

post-13694-0-42133200-1467299864_thumb.p

And so after 90 minutes it was all square. The match panned out as I thought, they were better in the 1st half but only scored because of an Eddie Wylde howler as he came to claim the ball, changed his mind and was rounded before a tap in put them ahead. I looked at their squad and they were all knackered before the game so as I expected we came back and were 2-1 ahead until the last 5 minutes when they equalized. Baws. 30 minutes to decide our fate!

ETA: Their second goal was actually an own goal. These play offs haven't been great for us...

Edited by Big Fifer

post-13694-0-33957100-1467365860_thumb.p

Yep, you guessed it. We're out. Genuinely not a single thing went our way during these play offs, they were a complete disaster and it's quite gutting considering how utterly skint we now are. We're over £700,000 in debt now.

I have 4-5 players that are attracting a lot of interest from clubs now, particularly centre back Kevin Lyons who's getting interest from clubs in the English Prem. I'm going to have to sell players unfortunately as they're all utterly raging. Next season will be a tough one I reckon.

The summer has begun as expected as Lyons departs with our best wishes. He's off to Aston Villa for £250,000. That, as well has some decent friendlies has brought our finances closer to safety. All positive news eh? 

post-13694-0-90066900-1467371119_thumb.p

We've seen it happen before, a takeover can be bad news. If it happens/when it happens, hopefully I can survive!

• 2 weeks later...

I've rattled through another season without updating much because I just end up binging on it and forgetting.

After 36 games we've managed the play offs again, this time albeit from 4th instead of 2nd place. Our usual slump at the end of the season is getting shorter, but this time it was no wins in the last 7, meaning we fell out of contention. It should also be noted that our star man Mark Callum has been out for the ENTIRE season, he started off with continuous niggling injuries before breaking his leg in November. We've relied on two 16 year olds for the goals this season, Sangster in particular has delivered.

Scottish Championship_ Overview Stages-2.png

Our youth intake was also pretty decent, especially Aaron Duke who looks set to become a regular for us next season already. Could do with a goalie mind, and I'll be training the two left wingers into left backs as Scott Currie who's been with us since the start basically is moaning about not getting any game time. He's not good enough anymore so I have to let him go. I had the same issue with fan's favourite Kevin McKay last year, and he left with out best wishes.

Nairn County Youth Candidates_ Squad Players-3.png

Edited by Big Fifer

So it was to be Dundee first up, how would we fair against our nemesis from last year? 

Nairn County v Dundee_ Match Post Match.png

We absolutely slaughtered them, but only managed a 1-0 victory which will no doubt bite us in the arse. Colin Greig missed an open goal from 18 yards.

Edited by Big Fifer

Nairn County v Hamilton_ Match Post Match.png

Boom, bossed it. We have something to defend. We also welcome back our best centre half, 17 year old Scott Nicolson who's been away with the England under 19's for the past two games. He'll freshen up and improve our back line. He's actually a better prospect than Kevin Lyons who we sold to Villa last year. He's now playing on loan at Swansea in the Premier League. It's that shit that makes me really want to get to the next league to hold onto these kids!

Hamilton v Nairn County_ Away Tactics Team Talk-2.png

And that'll be that. Players were knackered, and in a familiar story from last year, Chris Calder came bouncing out of his box for absolutely no reason, gave the ball away and gifted a tap in for 2-1. I then had to go more attacking and lost another.

The wait goes on.