Saints to go further in Europe.....

andrewh

St Johnstone's potential draw means that if the football fates allow, we will be going further, possibly much further, than any other Scottish sides in Europe this season! (Given that around or two and it's over)

Recall Celtic going to Kazakhstan a year or two ago, but what other lengthy trips have our teams had, and did anyone go?

Celtic went OZ in 2011

celtic-fans-in-brisbane-australia-2010-9

Aberdeen went to Seeth Efrica in 1927 & 1937 (P27 W17 D3 L6) One result to confirm as it was a late KO, some trouble in the stands from ASC

0,,10284~8818176,00.jpgmDnCBbB6H6VTZPBrkWirN6g.jpgmlfpqAPp-74mf1wz7zbBqBQ.jpg

Motherwell South America 1928 (P14 W6 D1 L7)

79660727.jpg?v=1&g=fs2%7C0%7Ceditorial9%

Third Lanark North America Tour 1921 (P25 W24 D1 L0) Impressive as usually played every 2 or 3 days with travel.

20-21%2BPinnace%2B-%2BThird%2BLanark%2BA

They also toured South America 1923, the result are a little different from whichever source you look at

Third Lanark said (P8 W4 D2 L2) South America said (P8 W4 D2 L2) however different results for different games.

St Johnstone's potential draw means that if the football fates allow, we will be going further, possibly much further, than any other Scottish sides in Europe this season! (Given that around or two and it's over)

Recall Celtic going to Kazakhstan a year or two ago, but what other lengthy trips have our teams had, and did anyone go?

Going far didn't mean go far in the competition - did it?

;)

Going far didn't mean go far in the competition - did it?

;)

You are quite right.

I was, of course, referring to distance travelled.

I was expecting to get by the first round :)

I'm sure we'll do better in 15 degrees, in the rain, and with more of our first choice players on the field.

Maybe Dundee can do well enough to get a try? Or not!

I know they're not Scottish, but in 1968 Cardiff City were away to Torpedo Moscow in the CWC. Due to the winter conditions the game was played in Tashkent, Uzbekistan. A round trip of 6844 miles...

That's crazy. We didn't want a trip to Almaty it seems :)

State of that OP by the way. The fermers out before Tommy Cumming has even painted the fucking lines on the pitch at the TCS.

Looks like I was right.

What a minter for the Farmers.

You were right but so was I.

I'm pleased to have had the chance to see my team play in Europe four years in a row. All of those criticising may get their chance if they can ever rise above the dross in our league and qualify. Tony Fitzpatrick thinks St Mirren have greater potential than ICT, Dundee and ourselves :)

So should we rename the thread to Dons to go further?

Definitely! It's why this game is such entertainment, sometimes moreso off the field. Great stuff. Now don't mess it up and lose 4-0 at home :)

Archived